Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I get? C2S or Targa 4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:24 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I fully agree with the last 3 posts here. The Targas get criticized by many here who likely give up more performance by lack of driving skill than any reduction in performance caused by the slightly heavier top and AWD. Unless you're a very skilled driver, I doubt that most drivers would see any difference in performance between a T4S and a C2S. Even if you don't open the large sliding top very often, as is the case with me, it provides a very nice open feel inside the car. While I initially missed the feel of the C2S, I've grown to really like the feel of the T4S. And a smile comes to my face every time I look at my car.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 02-19-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As beautiful as the new Targas are to look at from the outside, that is nothing compared to the view you get of the world from the inside! On long drives through the country you can steal looks at the trees overhead, or of sun-glazed clouds against a blue sky. Or if driving through a thunderstorm, you can see the clouds towering above and lightning bolts streaking from near zenith to some point way off on the horizon. Driving through the city, you can check out skyscrapers above. The visual experience is quite a bit different from that of regular hardtop with a sunroof. It is not quite as open as a cabriolet, but you can enjoy the view year-round and in all weather and you don't sacrifice visibility like you do when a cab's rag-top is up. To me the view is the main reason to choose a Targa over another model.

I should mention- if you are carrying a passenger around, your passenger will enjoy the view even more than you. Having sat in the passenger seat myself, it's quite a nice spot to be in.

I'm don't know about the 997.2 Targas, but an article in Excellence on the 997.1 Targa (July or August 2007 or so) commented that the Porsche engineers did a good job keeping the T4S pretty much as sporty as the C4S. I would imagine the 997.2 versions are only better.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the concept is great, but how does one keep all of that glass clean!...My windshield and car in general is enough of a challenge! Does the Targa have rails to which the Porsche roof racks can mount?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Personally I think the Targa is hugely underrated. It's the best of many worlds with little real world sacrifice. Most people on this forum don't have the driving skills to punt it around a track fast enough to notice the difference or for the weight to affect their lap times. But of course everybody will claim they can because that's what you do on a Porsche forum.

Buy it with stick shift rather than automatic and enjoy driving it everyday.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by mambodoc
I think the concept is great, but how does one keep all of that glass clean!...My windshield and car in general is enough of a challenge! Does the Targa have rails to which the Porsche roof racks can mount?
The glass is no problem. You don't notice any dust like you do on a windshield, partly because it is tinted. I never wash it between car washes, which for me occur only every 2 or 3 weeks.

There are no roof rack mounts on Targas unfortunately.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Personally I think the Targa is hugely underrated. It's the best of many worlds with little real world sacrifice. Most people on this forum don't have the driving skills to punt it around a track fast enough to notice the difference or for the weight to affect their lap times. But of course everybody will claim they can because that's what you do on a Porsche forum.

Buy it with stick shift rather than automatic and enjoy driving it everyday.
I couldn't agree more. I have a stick and drive it every day. It is my only car and performs flawlessly day in and day out.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:58 AM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by geof
As beautiful as the new Targas are to look at from the outside, that is nothing compared to the view you get of the world from the inside! On long drives through the country you can steal looks at the trees overhead, or of sun-glazed clouds against a blue sky. Or if driving through a thunderstorm, you can see the clouds towering above and lightning bolts streaking from near zenith to some point way off on the horizon. Driving through the city, you can check out skyscrapers above. The visual experience is quite a bit different from that of regular hardtop with a sunroof. It is not quite as open as a cabriolet, but you can enjoy the view year-round and in all weather and you don't sacrifice visibility like you do when a cab's rag-top is up. To me the view is the main reason to choose a Targa over another model.

I should mention- if you are carrying a passenger around, your passenger will enjoy the view even more than you. Having sat in the passenger seat myself, it's quite a nice spot to be in.

I'm don't know about the 997.2 Targas, but an article in Excellence on the 997.1 Targa (July or August 2007 or so) commented that the Porsche engineers did a good job keeping the T4S pretty much as sporty as the C4S. I would imagine the 997.2 versions are only better.
the view is even better when driving through a snowstorm!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:02 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by zanwar
I track my Targa every week or so. It's a very capable car. The handling felt a little ponderous to begin with, but that was easily fixed with a track alignment.
Can you share what alignment you're using?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 AM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I couldn't agree more. I have a stick and drive it every day. It is my only car and performs flawlessly day in and day out.
I could feel a slight difference between the T4S and the C2S on my initial test drive, but that was probably the difference between 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive, not the extra weight in the roof.

On the track I've noticed that if I enter a slide and I'm slow to correct / over correct, the car can feel like it's bouncing side to side on its springs. Perhaps a regular coupe would be quicker to stabilize?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 AM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Can you share what alignment you're using?
Can't remember the details off hand, I'll ask the tech tomorrow. I think it's 0.6 degrees neg camber at the front, 1.2 degrees neg camber at the back. Some toe out at the front and some toe in at the back.

The car felt completely different after the alignment. Much quicker to turn in. Before the alignment I was heavily trail-braking into every corner. It felt like I was constantly driving uphill.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:52 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The targa has always been a bigger seller overseas in Europe; less so in America where people have either better weather, or choose not to drive their Porsche in less than optimal conditions.

Ultimately, you have to decide what is most important to you. Since you go through cars quickly even if you mess up it's not like a death sentence,--you will get something else in 3 years.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Oh Man!...was sold on a C4S but now that Targa has me thinking...Had a 1993 928 GTS and was always happy with performance and spoiled by the rear opening...now I'm thinking Targa...need to carry bikes on occasion and not being able to count on a rack, might break the potential deal...o well...gotta see.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd recommend going with the car you prefer and dealing with resale value percentages as a separate issue. From my research, the C2S has a higher resale dollar amount than the C4S (and so an even higher percentage retained value.) So it's important to get the discount in the "front" of the deal to defray the resale discount on the "back" of the deal (when you sell.) Of course you can minimize this depreciation by selling privately rather than wholesale trade-in, if that's an option for you, but apples to apples, just focus on the discount at the front of the deal to offset the worse depreciation.

As for preferences, I'd say go with a Cabrio rather than the Targa, otherwise go with the coupe. I'd say go with the 4 or 4S rather than the 2WD Carrera unless you're dead set against AWD -- the technology in the 997 AWD versions is marvelous and would not disappoint any driver (unless that driver should have bought a GT3 in the first place.)

Back to price, keep in mind that discounting is greatest -- in dollar and percentage -- on the higher sticker cars and obviously that means the 4 cars, the Targas and the Cabrios. Expect less discounting (target at least 10%) on the C2S, but of course, the somewhat higher resale proposition balances out.

From what I was told (but didn't get around to verifying) your '06 C2 should get a decent wholesale number (dealers have been paying up at auction.)
Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Targa. I know a lot of people put it down because of the extra weight and the 4 wheel drive but if you live in a place that has less than optimal weather and you plan to drive the car all year round that you cant beat the 4 wheel drive. My Audi A3 has an almost all glass roof called Open Sky. Its very similiar to the Targa concept. Huge class sunroof and glass panel over the rear seat and the car is a hatchback. All that glass makes the car very open and airy the same as a Targa. Passengers love it because you can look up and see stuff as others mentioned. When the weather gets nasty, you button it up and its the same as a hard top with a great view.

I think its a nice blend of a hard top and a convertible. Is it a Cabrio? No absolutely not but I think for what it is the concept is awesome. Lots of people talk about the C2S being the holy grail but quite frankly I think in regular driving most people will never see the difference.

Get what you like and dont worry about the rest.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 PM
fenway71
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped by the dealer today (see my other post) and test drove the Targa. Very very nice. I see what everyone means about the blurriness in the rear with the roof down. It is horrendous. Not only is vision blurred but edge of the window blocks out some of the view (I would say 10-20% of the rear window is blocked). That said, the experience of driving the Targa even with the roof closed is amazing. Assuming I can get a good deal with my trade-in, I think I may splurge.

Thanks all for your feedback. I'll keep you posted over the coming weeks/months as I look for my dream car.

Quick Reply: What should I get? C2S or Targa 4S