Sponsored by:

What should I get? C2S or Targa 4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:30 PM
fenway71
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I get? C2S or Targa 4S

First, thanks to this forum, I'm a proud owner of a 2006 C2 which I absolutely adore. You all provided great advice in the past and it's the best car I've ever owned, hands down.

I'm ready for a trade-up. While my car was being serviced, I test drove the new C2S. Holy crap! I'm in love with the sounds, etc. I've decided it's time for a new car.

I'm drawn to the Targa but am afraid it might be too douchebaggy. Otherwise, it's the C2S.

Any Targa owners here? Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fenway71
First, thanks to this forum, I'm a proud owner of a 2006 C2 which I absolutely adore. You all provided great advice in the past and it's the best car I've ever owned, hands down.

I'm ready for a trade-up. While my car was being serviced, I test drove the new C2S. Holy crap! I'm in love with the sounds, etc. I've decided it's time for a new car.

I'm drawn to the Targa but am afraid it might be too douchebaggy. Otherwise, it's the C2S.

Any Targa owners here? Thoughts?
You're about to get your a** chewed out by calling the
Targa douchebaggy.

However, that being said, I would choose the C2S.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:31 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i love the look of targa and functionality of rear "hatch" but they seem to be dogs on the back end.. so are you keeping the car? golf alot? need to cram more dead hookers in the car than the frunk allows and need easy (hatch) access to them?

lotta questions and lotta diff answers to figure out what u want/need

i would have gotten Targa BUT i did not like the idea of all the weight up there, the rear view is blurry when window back, and the resale was less than ideal... if just one wasnt there it would have been my car... not sure why the rear window has those problems when down.. im guessing just little ripples in each get magnified.. but its really blurry.. least to me.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the old targas and the new ones are marvels but MAN are they hard to sell resale wise!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:07 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default really

then why do they command a premium... targas are always and I mean always more money then similar car same options etc...

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I like the old targas and the new ones are marvels but MAN are they hard to sell resale wise!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Probably because of the production costs. the problems is on the back side is there is a small pool of prospective buyers for resale. its like buying a AMG costs alot but you cant sell it to save your life.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM
fenway71
Track Day

Thanks for the quick feedback. Yeah, I probaby should've used a different adjective.

I just think the roof and lines are cool on the Targa. Performance-wise, I haven't driven one yet. Just drove the base S which was quite impressive.

The comments on re-sale value are good ones. I guess, if I intend to own this one for many many years, it doesn't matter too much. But, then again, I thought I'd own my current C2 forever and here I am 3 years later. . .
Old 08-25-2009, 09:46 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget about the Targa. The 4 wheel drive adds weight and numbs the handling. The 2 is the way to go if you really want the sports car feel. The major attribute of the Targa is its looks.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

PLUS the current C2S is going to be a certain classic. You might want to consider the PDK!
I have had a Turbo and TWO GT3s, and the C2S PDK test drive was the most fun in a test drive I have
had.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Base price on a Targa 4S is $101,100 which is $13.1K higher than the base price of a C2S ($87,000). Price wise, the Targa's "appear" to be at a premium because they start out about 15% higher that the C2S. You could get a very well appointed C2S for the price of a non-optioned Targa 4S ($101K MSRP).
Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

997 Targa's are the dogs of the 911 lineup, resale value won't be good. I would only buy a Targa if I couldn't commit to owning a CAB, but wanted a really big sunroof. Otherwise, go with the C2S.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ what he said.

Get the Coupe. It's got a sunroof---that's all you need.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:41 PM
rkuo
Track Day

Popular opinion leaves the Targa in a bit of no-man's land. Compromises on pure performance for 4WD and an amazing glass roof, and costs more to boot.

The answer here depends entirely on how much you value performance vs aesthetics and daily driving. If you want to feel like you can take out other cars next to you in a race, the Targa isn't for you.

Personally, I think the Targa looks amazing and from showing it to non-enthusiasts ... after explaining it to them what it was, they all thought it was amazing too. I don't anticipate needing all of the power in a 911 anyway, so I was perfectly willing to trade off a little bit to get the better handling and very unique look and features of the Targa. Plus I got a really wonderful deal used ... that's another point in the Targa's favor if you shop carefully ... if you buy new you are likely to eat extra dollars if you resell, but used you can easily find that working in your favor.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my Targa and looking at all the 997s it looks the most elegant and classy! I do not race/track so all this performance stuff was not that important. I keep my cars forever...so resale was not important. In fact, for me low resale value was an advatange....I picked my Targa whos sticker was 104k for 75k with only 3 thousand miles. Do the math and see what you can do with 29K!
Unless, you love the Targa and not planning on selling it....I agree with most of the above and would buy the C2S. For me, Targa was love at first site and have no regrets. I take long trips and the "hatchback" really helps with luggage.
abe
Old 08-26-2009, 05:26 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I track my Targa every week or so. It's a very capable car. The handling felt a little ponderous to begin with, but that was easily fixed with a track alignment.

Quick Reply: What should I get? C2S or Targa 4S