Sponsored by:

PDK questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts
Default PDK questions

Hi All - did a search, didn't see this very topic directly addressed.

I drove both Carrera S and Carrera variants this weekend as we shop for a car for my wife. I like PDK as the best automatic I've ever driven, but can't say I was converted from a manual shifter guy

One of my concerns was how fast the car upshifts into 6 or 7th gear - its clearly trying to max gas mileage and it made the base Carrera drive sluggishly. Sport Plus mode was my default to get a tranny that seemed to get more RPMs between shifts for even normal off the line drivig, but then you get hard up shifts.

1. Does the computer learn in normal auto mode that you want to drive more assertively and stop that short shifting BS?
2. Do you guys drive in sport mode all the time to not have that 1-2 second lag as the car downshifts to give you torque?

The problem was far better in the S (but still there) as the extra torque covers for the PDKs EPA CAFE pandering intentions. I could drive this in Sport mode (vs sport plus) but still found it slow to react in normal mode.

Thanks in advance for insights!
Chris

Last edited by Chris C.; 08-25-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:22 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't confirm this because I haven't had enough time in the car, but here is my observation.

When driving in Sport Plus aggressively, and not going all the way to redline you get an abrupt shift. However, if aggressive, and you go all the way to redline, the shift is really smooth. I am talking about the proper environment, of course.

In other words, getting on it and then backing out too early causes a hard shift! However, on the street you have to back out of it or you're going to jail.

And yes the transmission adapts to your inputs, that is why I don't have enough of a "database" to confirm what I "think" I observed. Others will chime in with amplification
Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

PDK absolutly adapts to your driving style. However in normal mode it will always upshift to the highest gear to get the best fuel mileage. In sport mode it shifts just about right for me on the street...my wife drives the car in sport mode with PASM set to normal. Sport Plus mode is not really for the street but for the track.

I rarley drive the car in auto mode anyway so none of this really matters much to me.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Very interesting observation!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've not read every page of the manuals yet, but there's no reference to the transmission programming adapting to the driver, only to the instantaneous conditions, plus there's some things that the transmission will only do in Sport or Sport Plus and only once you've depressed the throttle to the floor and compressed the "kick down" switch.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

In sport mode the transmission is not as anxious to shift into 7th. On the other hand as an old manual guy, why not shift with the lever/paddles and manage the gears yourself? I only use mine in "D" when stuck in traffic
Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I gave up trying to get mine to become adaptive to harder driving in Auto mode, never saw any change. My observation was that the adaptive functionality of the PDK is a bunch of BS. I drive in manual mode only now no SC.
Auto mode without SC is pathetic, you shouldn't have to push a button every time you start your car to get $100,000 sports car experience.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I experimented a lot with PDK on my 3500-mile road trip to Monterey. In normal Sport mode (i.e. not in manual mode), it will not shift to 7th gear. The only time as an automatic that it'll shift to 7th gear is in full normal (no Sport, no manual). I drive around 90% of the time in manual Sport - the throttle response is better, shifts aren't harsh, etc. During some laps of Laguna Seca, I did use Sport Plus, but they are too harsh for everyday driving. Also, Sport Plus in automatic mode holds gears to redline - that's a little too obnoxious for me.

If you're going from a manual car (as I did), the best compromise IMO is to run Sport in manual mode. It's still fun to shift, but it's not abrupt when it does.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks guys - your advice is consistent with my conclusion after test drives for 30 mins. Auto mode should say "fuel consumption maximization mode"

Personally I would drive the car in sport and even manual modes a lot, once I figure out what mode I'm in an forget that in manual it won't shift for me - can you say redline breakin!

It's a cab for my wife and her opinion is "why should I have to push a button to get my 100K sports car to drive like one" Her BMW v8 gets 16 mpg around town and doesn't require that goofiness.

Personally I love the idea of the PDK for those who prefer 2 pedals and maybe someday will convert. The number one gripe I have with slushboxes is that you see a need, lean into the throttle, and <pause? <pause> <pause> <pause> the car gives you acceleration. Its the new century version of turbo lag! I drive my X5 in sport and manual modes all the time, and that's with a v8!

Look for me in a 6-speed for my fun car for the foreseeable future! Porsche should allow you to use PCM to set your default transmission mode with PDK.

Chris
Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

There's no lag if you're in manual Sport or Sport Plus - it's very responsive. If you get one, you'll learn how to drive it properly. It takes about a week of messing with it and suddenly the "dumb" buttons make sense, too.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 PM
mstams
Racer

She'll probably dislike the harsh jerk when shifting down from 2-1 at a stop in Sports Auto mode. Thankfully this disappears in manual mode.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I gave up trying to get mine to become adaptive to harder driving in Auto mode, never saw any change. My observation was that the adaptive functionality of the PDK is a bunch of BS. I drive in manual mode only now no SC.
Auto mode without SC is pathetic, you shouldn't have to push a button every time you start your car to get $100,000 sports car experience.
You say potato, I say potayto.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:21 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The fastest method around the track with this car is Sport Plus and Drive. I have it from a very qualified and knowledgeable source that even the professionals (of which he is the consummate) can't beat it, and that is on tracks they know like the back of their hands.

You might like to fiddle with the buttons and/or lever, but it is most likely for amusement versus speed, or to satisfy the "control freak" in you... if you are anything like me!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

I'm sure you're right about Sports Plus in auto mode, but I go to manual for the involvement. I'm not competing for trophies on my drive to the store...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

SPORT or SPORT PLUS mode (in conjunction with the Sport Chrono Package
Plus option) is noticeably different from the Normal program.
The gearshift performance adapts automatically to the
driver’s unique driving style.

Quick Reply: PDK questions