Sponsored by:

PDK questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:43 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
I gave up trying to get mine to become adaptive to harder driving in Auto mode, never saw any change. My observation was that the adaptive functionality of the PDK is a bunch of BS. I drive in manual mode only now no SC.
Auto mode without SC is pathetic, you shouldn't have to push a button every time you start your car to get $100,000 sports car experience.
Maybe yours is broken - I can get aggressive on the throttle and change the shift points by a 10mph difference instantly - all while in normal auto.

And then there are the other modes when needed - Sport is probably my fav., but I use normal 1/2 the time.

PDK is pretty complicated and misunderstood - and the owner's manual lacks a good bit of detail.

Put this into Google ""2009 Technik Introduction All 997"" - there's a great doc I found that explains the various PDK modes in detail - might be on this site, I don't remember where I found it.

Example:

Driving in selector-lever position “D”, Sport and Sport Plus button not activeWhen the selector lever is moved to position “D”, an extremely intelligent driving
program is activated. Shifting adapts continuously and almost seamlessly to the driving
style and route profile over the entire operating range. Gearshifts and gearchanging
speeds here are changed from economic/comfortable to sporty.
Gearshifts are essentially performed with more emphasis on comfort. Also for
improved comfort, the engine torque is reduced during upshifts and downshifts.
Downshifts in deceleration state and deceleration downshifts are accomplished with
very little intermediate throttle application and are therefore hardly audible. The
vehicle moves off in 1st gear.
Adaptation of gearshift characteristics to driving style and route

Various measured values, such as accelerator pedal position, accelerator pedal
change speed, axial and lateral acceleration, vehicle speed and engine speed as
well as the steering angle, are used to adapt the gearshift characteristics almost
continuously to the driving style and route profile. This adaptation is performed in
“Normal” mode (no sport buttons pressed) and sometimes in “Sport” mode. No
adaptation is performed in “Sport Plus” mode. When this adaptation is selected, the
shift programme not only takes the driving style into consideration, but also road
resistance. Changes in road resistance are particularly noticeable when driving
uphill and on downward slopes. In addition, the PDK control unit forms an altitude
correction factor, i.e. since the volumetric efficiency of the engine decreases as the
altitude increases, the driver automatically accelerates more and the transmission
would switch to a more shift-conducive map. This is detected by the altitude sensor
and the optimal map is made available to the driver.
...etc, and there are similar sections covering all other modes as well as some other little known tricks PDK has and will be doing that if your aren't aware may seem confounding.

I don't know why they don't include this in the Owner's Manual - seems like very useful information and would go a long way toward setting proper expectations about PDK and how to get the most enjoyment and performance from it.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
You say potato, I say potayto.
I am liking the PDK more and more, and don't think I would want paddles over the current configuration.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Here is the link to the Technik document. You need to register on Planet Porsche to get it though:

http://www.planetporsche.net/downloads.php?do=cat&id=16
Old 08-29-2009, 03:23 PM
GUman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, my C4S PDK shifts into 7th gear in sports mode at exactly 80 mph. (Same launch car as yours).
Old 08-29-2009, 08:55 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstams
She'll probably dislike the harsh jerk when shifting down from 2-1 at a stop in Sports Auto mode. Thankfully this disappears in manual mode.
that's one thing I hate. I am about to break 2k tomorrow and then I am going to try sport plus mode on the interstate tomorrow morning. I usually drive manual sport and I love that the most!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:57 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
that's one thing I hate. I am about to break 2k tomorrow and then I am going to try sport plus mode on the interstate tomorrow morning. I usually drive manual sport and I love that the most!
dang... i floored mine off the showroom floor... got to 101 within the first mile and never looked back.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:10 AM
ATX
Rennlist Member

Have been doing the same, I'm of the "drive it like it was stolen" break in camp. Still owe pictures of the new CS though.....been lazy here.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:35 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX
Have been doing the same, I'm of the "drive it like it was stolen" break in camp. Still owe pictures of the new CS though.....been lazy here.
burning any oil? i havent burned a drop and got 2400 miles on the beast.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:27 AM
ATX
Rennlist Member

No oil issues yet, but less than 400 miles on it (yes, I know I need to take it on a road trip). Tons of brake dust and soot on the car though, so I have a nice black film that rubs off on clothing, etc.. Fairly typical though, nothing different than what I experienced on my 2007 Cayman S when it was new.

I am keeping an eye on it.....
Old 08-30-2009, 08:09 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rijowysock
I am down to 1 bar right now. I have been checking it almost daily and it has been varying. Right now, 1987 miles on the clock!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
Not me, I ate through 2 quarts in my first 2000 miles. I drive in manual mode only.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by DRJMK
Sport Plus on the highway? Better wear your ear plugs...

I live on a small mountain outside of town. The other night driving home I decided to come up the mountain in auto Sport Plus. With the windows down and the dynamic cornering lights on high beam, I roared up the moutain twisting all the way in first gear. I almost never drive at night... It was a blast!!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by todd.
Not me, I ate through 2 quarts in my first 2000 miles. I drive in manual mode only.
Yeah, I'm going through a quart every 1500 miles or so (5 quarts so far at 7500 miles). Hopefully the oil consumption will settle down. It did after about 5000 miles in my RS4 (another DFI car).
Old 08-30-2009, 07:13 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Yeah, I'm going through a quart every 1500 miles or so (5 quarts so far at 7500 miles). Hopefully the oil consumption will settle down. It did after about 5000 miles in my RS4 (another DFI car).
Broke the 2k mark. Checked oil again and now back to normal even driving in the sport plus mode. That was wild btw...loved it!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:14 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mstams
Sport Plus on the highway? Better wear your ear plugs...

I live on a small mountain outside of town. The other night driving home I decided to come up the mountain in auto Sport Plus. With the windows down and the dynamic cornering lights on high beam, I roared up the moutain twisting all the way in first gear. I almost never drive at night... It was a blast!!
I only need ear plugs to blockout the wind. I think I am getting a coupe or targa next time! Your description sounds wonderful! Now, I need to go to the mountains for some driving!

Quick Reply: PDK questions