Sponsored by:

Why even have a "long" shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:53 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I think you hit the nail on the head with Porsche just wanting to ding for more options. Why isn't the Sport Exhaust standard, doesn't eveyone want that sound? Why not x51, doesn't everyone want more power? etc. etc.
Uh... no? I doubt it's even most of us.

Gary, who suspects you're pulling our collective leg,
but he'll play straight man and give the obvious answer
Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Bull****. It works better in warm weather too!

Seriously, I'm sick of not being able to get into 1st gear, even when it is plenty warm here. It's not so much being warm as it is having thrown it into 1st gear 8-10 times, then it will go in like a normal shift.
I hate to ask, but what is going on with the gearbox, I've noticed that I need to dbl clutch in order to get into 1st gear.
Is it the gearbox, fluid, synchros or the shifter it self???

Thanks.

(I did a search and didn't see what I was looking for.)
Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
I hate to ask, but what is going on with the gearbox, I've noticed that I need to dbl clutch in order to get into 1st gear.

Thanks.

Heavy, balky synchronizers! Balky but more durable.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks.

I have no idea. They were unapologetic about the fact that it is hard to get into 1st gear for the first few shifts. My salesman said they had a lot of complaints about that and Porsche may discontinue the short shifter because of that reason.

If you're every having trouble, the BEST fix I found is to put it into 2nd gear and then go straight up to 1st and that always works. Somehow that lines it up just right to glide into the notch. It's when I'm in neutral or from reverse to 1st that it won't go in easily. This has become a habit for me at the stoplight - sitting in neutral until I see the perpendicular stoplight go from green to yellow, and then I shift from neutral to 2nd and then to 1st just in time for my light to be green.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
I have no idea. They were unapologetic about the fact that it is hard to get into 1st gear for the first few shifts. My salesman said they had a lot of complaints about that and Porsche may discontinue the short shifter because of that reason.

If you're every having trouble, the BEST fix I found is to put it into 2nd gear and then go straight up to 1st and that always works. Somehow that lines it up just right to glide into the notch. It's when I'm in neutral or from reverse to 1st that it won't go in easily. This has become a habit for me at the stoplight - sitting in neutral until I see the perpendicular stoplight go from green to yellow, and then I shift from neutral to 2nd and then to 1st just in time for my light to be green.
That's exactly how i get around the problem, most of the time. It sometimes required a double clutch as well.

If it's balky synchros, then everyone will have the problem. Why are some doing it and some not? I'm thinking **** fork problems along with the Synchros and crappy OEM gear Lube. My fluid is being changed to Swepco. I'll tell you if it gets any better
Old 01-16-2010, 03:34 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

My fluid is being changed to Swepco. I'll tell you if it gets any better
Excellent. Please update us on the fluid change Sweeper. I have been contemplating the same but have not heard of anyone else doing it. I await your feedback....
Old 01-16-2010, 05:23 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Excellent. Please update us on the fluid change Sweeper. I have been contemplating the same but have not heard of anyone else doing it. I await your feedback....
when I changed fluid to motul and flashed whole system it did not change the way how 1st gear gets engaged. I also pull into 2nd first then into 1st, most of times it works, as I am pissed at it now I simply apply more force and it pops in.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by steph280
Now assuming what I felt with the short shifter reflects everybody's experience, why would Porsche even have a "long" shifter as standard option? Yeah you might say Porsche just needed a way to ding the buyer with another option, but are there any advantages of having the "long" shifter that I might miss once going to the shorter option?
When I ordered my Targa, the dealer talked me out of the short shift option. He said a lot of people had problems with them and the factory didn't recommend it. I thought it was odd the factory had an option that they didn't recommend.

But after driving the RS, when I get back in the targa (it now belongs to my dad), it feels like a rowing machine the throws are so long.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I had the SSK in my first 997 and have the 'long' shifter in my turbo. I prefer the 'long' shifter in that I think it is easier to find gear when shifting say from 5 to 3 or 4 to 2 (i.e. hard driving). I felt that my SSK car was notchier if that's a word. The time it takes to physically change gears is miniscule and I'm generally not slamming my gear shifts at the track.

To each his own of course. I would not opt for it again in a 997.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JW911

I use swepco 201 in the 968, with and without Moly, And I felt the difference right away. I also run this same fluid in my race car. I always felt it was better than the redline, and with our dog boxes (Hewlands) proved to be more reliable and far more smelly:-)

Once it goes in the 997, i'll post for sure.

Quick Reply: Why even have a "long" shifter?