Sponsored by:

CTEK US7002 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:39 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTEK US7002 question

When I charge my battery, my CTEK will only go into maintenance mode for a few minutes and then restart the charging cycle. I've even disconnected the battery and tested the charger with the same results.

Can someone with a US7002 confirm that my charger is functioning correctly or incorrectly?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 PM
JackQ
Advanced

It is possible you car has a electrical drain that is not allowing the charger maintenance mode.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:34 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Jack, I've tried it with the battery disconnected and on another car with the same results.
I knew I was in trouble when saw the "Made In China" tag.

I sent CTEK support an email describing the problem. We'll see what their response is.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems like mine (US3300) did the same thing when I first got it (and the car). I still notice sometimes that it is on charge when I have done nothing. I think it is normal and working OK.

I have a green light now - I'll check later on it to see if it goes back orange...

I knew I was in trouble when saw the "Made In China" tag.
I don't think so - same thing Porsche sells, just without the logo:
"Made in China, Badged and Marked up dopple DMs in Germany" - I know, euros now; whatever.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:38 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Maybe Porsche's unit is made elsewhere but CTEK units are made in China.
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

I had some real bizarre charge/maintenance flickering LED's with my CTEK a few months ago. Turns out the white connector between the unit and the 12V adapter head wasn't being seated properly. Some electrical contact cleaner and making sure the connection was nice and tight solved it. It can work loose over time.

Good luck.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VicL
Maybe Porsche's unit is made elsewhere but CTEK units are made in China.
Look at a Porsche version and a CTEK 3300 - same thing - P could be made in Sweden, but I doubt it.

I'd say keep an eye on it for a week or so; mine seemed to toggle between charge and maint when I first got it, but now it seems to go green pretty quickly and stay there over night.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Steve, thanks for checking it out for me.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:01 AM
PigDog
4th Gear

I have had the same problem with my CTEK US7002. Works just fine on my Honda van but when connected to the Porsche cannot stop cycling through. I started it in "Normal" mode and the 7002 went through its cycles: lamp 1, 2, 3 and then 4 for very short time (a couple of minutes). It then seems to go through an infinite loop that repeats lamp 1 blinking, 2, 3 and then 1 blinking again never going through to lamp 4 (maintenance). The complete "loop" takes maybe 5 minutes and starts again. By pressing the reset button, I can have it again do one cycle that gets to the green lamp 4, where it stays for a few minutes prior to starting the loop 1 blinking , 2 and 3. By the way, same problem in snowflake mode.

Contacted CTEK US support ... they have no idea what is going on. Actually, the guy I talked to did not seem that knowledgeable about their product.

Overall, very disappointing considering what great recommendations CTEK gets.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:30 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

I don't have anything like that going on, but I just got the 3300 model which looks identical to what Porsche sells. If I unlock the car, use any accessory, or drive the car, it will go into Charge for a while and then into Maint usually within in hour or so (1st time took several hours) and stay there until use the car again.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:20 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Battery Tender brand. Very robust units. I try and buy stuff not made in China. China= junk
Old 08-25-2009, 06:01 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ricster
I use Battery Tender brand. Very robust units. I try and buy stuff not made in China. China= junk
Right, that's what I grew up thinking about Made In Japan, Korea, etc. - it is naive to think that China will not catch up and probably already has in some areas.

FWIW, from the CTEK site:

In 2002, shortly after having launched their first battery chargers to the market, German manufacturer, Porsche, now showed interest for CTEK’s new battery chargers. A year later, the first battery chargers were delivered. After an in-depth worldwide research of alternative suppliers, Mercedes named CTEK as their official partner of record. Since then, Maybach, Harley Davidson (Scandinavia), Aston Martin and Bentley also decided to use CTEK battery chargers under their own brand name.

Today, Ferrari also delivers a CTEK battery charger with each sold car as well aftermarket service offer chargers for those having earlier models.

Lamborghini is the latest of high performance luxury sports cars having reached an agreement with CTEK Sweden of specific battery chargers.

CTEK Sweden is proud to supply battery chargers and develop adapted solutions to some of the worlds most recognised car and motorcycle manufacturers in the world: Porsche, Mercedes, Maybach, Harley Davidson (Scandinavia), Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari and Lamborghini.
I don't have any interest in CTEK nor China for that matter, but the comment just seems uninformed and prejudiced.

Here's my "armchair" comparison - pretty sure it's not a case of a Chinese "knock-off":
Attached Images   
Old 08-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Mine doesn't have a fancy readout with multiple LEDs on it. My Porsche battery maintainer just has one red LED which goes out whenever the battery is fully charged.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PigDog
I have had the same problem with my CTEK US7002. Works just fine on my Honda van but when connected to the Porsche cannot stop cycling through. I started it in "Normal" mode and the 7002 went through its cycles: lamp 1, 2, 3 and then 4 for very short time (a couple of minutes). It then seems to go through an infinite loop that repeats lamp 1 blinking, 2, 3 and then 1 blinking again never going through to lamp 4 (maintenance). The complete "loop" takes maybe 5 minutes and starts again. By pressing the reset button, I can have it again do one cycle that gets to the green lamp 4, where it stays for a few minutes prior to starting the loop 1 blinking , 2 and 3. By the way, same problem in snowflake mode.

Contacted CTEK US support ... they have no idea what is going on. Actually, the guy I talked to did not seem that knowledgeable about their product.

Overall, very disappointing considering what great recommendations CTEK gets.
This is EXACTLY my problem. I called CTEK too and they have no clue. The only suggestion they offered me is the battery in my car manufactured 2/09 and the battery on my other car needed replacing. I send them an email on 8/23, haven't heard back from them. I'm very disappointed too at CTEK. If I knew it was going to be like this, I would have gone to Sears, Northern... and got a charger for $30 bucks.

I also have a comfort indicator. I left the charger on for 3 days, the confort indicator still blinks orange (<90% charge).

I guess since you and I have similar results, we can assume both our units are faulty or working correctly.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 PM
PigDog
4th Gear

My biggest problem is that the CTEK seems to work fine on my Honda Odyssey. I am now wondering if the battery is the source of the problem. I had just replaced the original OEM battery (2005 997 C2S)with a brand new Autozone 49DL and bought the CTEK as a battery maintainer ... could it be a problem with the battery and some incompatibility with the CTEK? It's hard to believe since as a replacement battery, the Autozone 49DL comes with high marks from many that have tried it.

I am still hoping to figure out what the problem is, but I am rapidly coming to the conclusion of returning the CTEK and trying a different brand maintainer.

Quick Reply: CTEK US7002 question