Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTEK US7002 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dont care for China crap. Its not being Nieve its being a realist. Will China eventually make good stuff...probably, but for now its just crap. Would you buy a chinese car right now? I bet not!
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ricster
I just dont care for China crap. Its not being Nieve its being a realist. Will China eventually make good stuff...probably, but for now its just crap. Would you buy a chinese car right now? I bet not!
Aw hell, the computer you're typing on right now has a bunch of components made in China and Taiwan. Same with your mobile phone, TV, and other electronics.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of Apple's stuff is made in China, and its far from crap.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The thing is built to the Swedish spec and also sold by Porsche - at least the 3K series - if it is crap, oh well. I think actually the one that Porsche sells is pre 3300, but more or less the same.

Mine is working perfectly, but the 7002 is a little different - who knows. Maybe the place you bought it will exchange it for a 3300 or another brand.

Or take it over to a Porsche service center and see what they come up with...

The "Made in China" fear, while sometimes valid, is a blunt knife for an Archie Bunker world, but some people like a blunt knife - if it works, go for it.

Last edited by stevepow; 09-11-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Battery Tender brand. Very robust units. I try and buy stuff not made in China. China= junk
Just try and buy a computer that doesn't have it's roots in China.

Not gonna happen.

Phil
Old 09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
mattmobile
1st Gear

Default CTEK Charging issues

I will try to answer all questions here at once, but please feel free to contact me directly with any others.
-Yes, The CTEK MUS3300 is the exact charger that Porsche uses. It comes off the exact same assembly line. The only difference besides the logo is that the CTEK version has one extra mode designed for Optima/GEL/AGM style batteries .
-All of the chargers are designed and engineered in Sweden and produced to strick standards at our China Factory.
-For those who are experiencing the lights "flickering" or flashing rapidly, this is either a bad connection or more often, a sulfated battery. The charger will detect this automatically and go into the "desulfation" mode. usually, within 45 minutes the light will then go to green or amber. This means the battery has successfully been reapired. If they continue flashing, you have a bad battery.
-For those of you who see the light going green and then switching back to yellow, this is also normal function on the chargers (the pulse mode of charging). A battery has a natural self discharge. once the battery is charged, CTEK chargers shut off all voltage and current to the battery (light will be gren at this point). If the battery drops below a desired level (12.9 Volts), the charger then kicks back on to bring your battery back up(light will be amber).
-Through years of advanced research in battery electronics and electrochemistry, CTEK has developed battery chargers with superior technology that save time, money and aggravation by maximizing battery life and performance. CTEK does this by using a patented multi-step charging process: 1. Desulphation 2. Bulk 3. Absorption 4. Pulse. Ultimately what this means is that CTEK will efficiently bring the battery up to charge then shut off completely. The charger then monitors the battery and kicks in more charge when needed. This method is proven more efficient than a typical trickle charge.
In addition, CTEK has many built-in safety features that can not only save the battery, but also you and your vehicle. These chargers are splash-proof and weather-proof, so they can be left in the garage or even outside. On top of that, they are impossible to connect incorrectly. The patented technology protects against sparks and keeps your onboard electronics safe even in the presence of a power surge or lightning strike. All of these features make CTEK the most recommended charger in the world. For more information or where to buy, visit www.CTEK.com.
Please feel free to contact me directly with any other questions.
Regards to all
Matt Ingram
CTEK Power, Inc.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 PM
inscom
1st Gear

Hi all,
Just purchased the US 3300 Ctek charger. It seems to be working hunky dory, however, I do have a question as to the following:
Can I leave the charger which is mounted permanently in my pick up connected while driving? What I mean is, just unplug the AC cable and leave the DC cable connected to the battery and start driving without to open the hood.

The manual does not answer my question!

Thanks guys.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 PM
kingalien
Track Day

Location: 13-C2S; QLA & frequent-flier on the road and in the sky

Thanks for the info mattmobile!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 AM
VicL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mattmobile
IPlease feel free to contact me directly with any other questions.
Regards to all
Matt Ingram
CTEK Power, Inc.
Matt, I sent you a PM on Sunday but have not got a response from you yet. In my PM, I describe my problem which is also posted here.

In a nutshell here is my question again. I use a US7002, as you know it has a FLOAT function for 10 days. Then why does it go to green for only a few minutes and restarts the charging cycle again? Shouldn't it stay Green for at least 10 days before it goes in to pulse cycle?

The manual also states that if it does not turn Green in 3 days to manually put the charger in maintenance mode. How do you do that?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM
PigDog
4th Gear

Matt, thanks for the posting but your description does not match exactly what the US7002 manual states. I have the same problem as VicL with my US7002. See my description above. The problem seems to only manifest itself on my C2S and not on my other (Non-Porsche) cars where I can get the US7002 to go and stay "green" (maintenance Mode).

So something is different with the C2S. I did replace the OEM battery with an Autozone 49DL (highly recommended replacement across many forums). Could this be the issue? Some incompatibility between the 49DL and the US7002? Does not seem to make sense ...

Your thoughts?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
VicL
Intermediate

Default *** Update ***

It appears that my Ctek US7002 was defective. Matt at Ctek suggested that I send my unit to him for testing. 2 weeks later a new replacement US7002 arrived at my door. The new unit is staying green and is working correctly.

PigDog, it appears that you may have the same problem as I did. I would send Matt an email and see if you can get yours replaced.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 AM
ddub
Intermediate

Default ctek 7002

This is for mattmobile. I tried sending you a PM but it didn't work.

I have a CTEK 7002. I also bought the cigarette adapter. When I tried connecting the cigarette adapter nothing happened, meaning the power light and the 'Normal' light was on but the upper lights did not light up no matter how long I leave it on.

So I used the alligator clips and the upper lights went from 'Start' to 'Bulk charging' to 'Adsorption charging' and then to 'Pulse maintenance charging.'

It stayed on 'Pulse maintenance charging' for about 2 weeks but now only the power light and the 'Normal' light is on.

Was the first 10 days the 'float' maintenance charge and is that light supposed to go out? I was just wondering if that was normal?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, amazon.com of all places have good prices on CTek chargers.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:39 PM
NikoS3
Track Day

The Porsche charger i have, is also 'made in china' and has the 'CTek' logo on the back, so i guess the CTek chargers are exactly the same apart from the faceplate and the price.

Nikos.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
VicL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ddub
I have a CTEK 7002. I also bought the cigarette adapter. When I tried connecting the cigarette adapter nothing happened, meaning the power light and the 'Normal' light was on but the upper lights did not light up no matter how long I leave it on.
ddub, I have a cig adaptor too. After using it for using it for a few minutes, it blew the 8A fuse inside the connector. I wasn't even aware that there was a fues in the adpator. CTek sent me a replacement adaptor, blew the fues again. The required fuse is a 5X20 MM 8A fuse. PITA to find. I had to mail order it. I gave up using the Cig adaptor. I would check the fuses in both adpators.

Quick Reply: CTEK US7002 question