Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement - Public Service Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off to Wal-Mart then. God I love China! Cheers.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the maxx 94r. Just did mine on Saturday. Man what a difference in the peppiness of the starter motor when it is 9 degrees out.

Same size and shape of a moll, a bit different than my interstate I had in the car before, but a quick move of the hold down plate to a wider hole, and a quick fabrication for a vent tube insert and I was all done! $82+tax.

One tip, ask an employee to look in the back for a newer battery than the ones on the shelf. They found one in the back that was from this month, vs the last one on the shelf that looked like it had been through the ringer, and maybe a returned unit.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
+1 on the maxx 94r. Just did mine on Saturday. Man what a difference in the peppiness of the starter motor when it is 9 degrees out.

Same size and shape of a moll, a bit different than my interstate I had in the car before, but a quick move of the hold down plate to a wider hole, and a quick fabrication for a vent tube insert and I was all done! $82+tax.

One tip, ask an employee to look in the back for a newer battery than the ones on the shelf. They found one in the back that was from this month, vs the last one on the shelf that looked like it had been through the ringer, and maybe a returned unit.
What did you have to do to the vent tube. I just unplugged mine from the Moll, removed the red plastic plug on the passenger side of the MAXX 94R battery and plugged in the vent tube.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an interstate so the vent tube did not have the adapter piece that fit the side of the moll battery. It was modified to join the interstate battery with a center vent tube and a small plastic pipe joiner pieces. I had to shave down the plastic joiner piece and stick that into the side of the Maxx battery. 10 seconds with an exacto knive and I was all set. The Maxx did come with the vent hole plug for the driver's side vent hole which was very nice indeed.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the Everstart Maxx 94R at Walmart for $90. They have free install, but I chose to do it myself. Took about 5 minutes & the battery is exactly the same set-up as the OEM. Drove around the block and the warnings and windows were re-set fine. Car cranks great now. Surprised the Porsche battery lasted this long (~5 years). It may have to do with the car being a DD. Thanks to everyone and the OP.

Cheers
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Zoooooooo...you chaps don't need to "register" your replacement batteries like us BMW owners?
See http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468750
BMW has the interesting sort of German engineering where your battery explodes if you do not "allow" the dealer to replace it. Sounds like Porsche is missing a great marketing maneuver.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I resurrected this thread since I may need a new battery soon. When I went to the Walmart website to check out the Everstart MAXX 94R, it indicated there were no stores in my area (Orange County) that had it. Is this a local issue, and does anyone know if there is a Walmart anywhere near Irvine that carries these?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Auto Zone and Pepboys also carry batteries the are direct swaps. Just make sure you bring in your old one and do NOT go by what thier computer says.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:56 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I resurrected this thread since I may need a new battery soon. When I went to the Walmart website to check out the Everstart MAXX 94R, it indicated there were no stores in my area (Orange County) that had it. Is this a local issue, and does anyone know if there is a Walmart anywhere near Irvine that carries these?
My 997 battery just died, despite being on a battery tender since new and having the new charging cable installed. I was just in Walmart in Brea this morning, didn't need the battery until Ii went to start the car this afternoon.

FYI, I checked the Walmart site and several stores in Northern Orange County carry it. Do a search on MAXX 94R, as their website is so poorly designed you cannot find it using the normal search under "auto battery."
Old 09-13-2011, 01:39 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Thanks Pete. As it turned out, having the cable from the alternator to starter replaced under the CPO warranty has solved my problems. The car cranks faster than ever now, so I guess I don't need a new battery yet. But when I do, I'll check northern OC.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
My 997 battery just died, despite being on a battery tender since new and having the new charging cable installed. I was just in Walmart in Brea this morning, didn't need the battery until Ii went to start the car this afternoon.

FYI, I checked the Walmart site and several stores in Northern Orange County carry it. Do a search on MAXX 94R, as their website is so poorly designed you cannot find it using the normal search under "auto battery."
Update: WalMart must have found out that this battery fits a Porsche, as it is the highest price of the batteries that they carry: bought it yesterday for $110.00 at the Brea store. It is an exact match for the original battery in size and capacity. The vent tube slips right in, and they give you a plug for the other vent hole.

In doing testing on my Schumacher Battery Tender, it appears that it failed, letting the battery die. I just ordered a CTech 3300 replacement. Ironic that the WalMart maintainer is still going strong in the 993 after 11 years, but the Schumacher failed in 6 years.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised that the Interstate was nearly $200. With my PCA discount, I purchased a factory OEM last year from the dealer for $210. Maybe they've gone up since then.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Pete

What is the new charging cable?
Gabe
Old 09-15-2011, 12:09 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by GR997S
Hey Pete

What is the new charging cable?
Gabe
I think it was me that mentioned the cable issue. Many of the 06 cars apparently had an issue with the cable(s) in the starting circuit. Mine was the one between the alternator and starter. It was replaced under my CPO warranty recently, and the car cranks very fast now. Another cable to the battery is also a problem on some cars. I had anticipated needing a new battery, but now find I don't need one (yet).

BTW, some of the older CPO warranties apparently didn't cover this cable problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GR997S, do a search on the battery and alternator cable/starter wiring harness subject. There are many long threads on this known issue. It effected the 05 cars, too (I notice you have an 06 and that is what the previous poster referenced). This trio of wires have proven to be the reason for many cars having hot start slow cranking problems. As I read it, any or all of the wires/cables can be at fault and it takes some diagnostic work to determine the root cause. Many people have spent $$$ on replacement batteries, in vain, only to find that the real cause of their problem has been the cables/wiring harness all along. I'm not able to tell you how, but there are ways to test these things. Bottom line is that for most people, the warning sign is slow cranking on hot re-starts.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement - Public Service Announcement