Sponsored by:

Newbie clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Tutone
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie clutch question

Soon-to-be 997 owner here. I test drove an '06 Carrera S and an '07 Carrera yesterday and noticed a big difference in the clutches. The Carrera's clutch was very smooth and gentle while the "S" clutch was "aggressive" and not very smooth. Is this difference normal? The salesman said this was because 997s automatically adjust to the driver's style every 6000 miles. Sounded fishy to me. Thanks much!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

The only diference I am aware of for 2005 to 2008 for the S and non-S is the that the S has a self adjusting clutch. My understanding is that when the clutch wears it can become more difficult to press. The adjustable clutch reportedly compensates for this. I have an S with only about 600 miles on it. Depending on how much I let it slip, it can be smooth or with slight vibration. ( I am easy on clutches). I am not sure were I read this but I also understand that Porsche put a different clutch in their cars to stand up to more agressive driving and these are not as smooth....I cannot confirm this.

Quick Reply: Newbie clutch question