Sponsored by:

Switched to Silver again

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:11 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switched to Silver again

Took a summer Friday today. Nothing to do but drive, clean and wax the cars. I switched again to the silver hood crest to match the hood/sides/wheel caps on the Targa.

I like that the silver crest is embossed / more 3D than the factory original gold badge.

I think I'll stay with silver for a while. In the meantime I'll get the gold crest wheel caps to complete the gold "set" (hood, sides and caps) for when I want to switch back to gold again. Thanks for looking.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:31 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some things on a 911 need to be left alone, the colored crest hood emblem is one. The silver crest blends in offering no substance, whereas, the colored crest adds character to the hood, car, and paint.

Your car continues to looks great. I'm not a Targa fan, but I am liking yours.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Your car looks great! Nice pics! The silver crest does have more depth. It's too bad that they didn't do the background around the horse in silver.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:05 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
Your car looks great! Nice pics! The silver crest does have more depth. It's too bad that they didn't do the background around the horse in silver.
Ay, yes I see what you mean. That is an anomaly of that specific picture because it is reflecting the large black Nikon lens. This one is more representative:

Old 07-25-2009, 01:17 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by todd.
Some things on a 911 need to be left alone, the colored crest hood emblem is one. The silver crest blends in offering no substance, whereas, the colored crest adds character to the hood, car, and paint.

Your car continues to looks great. I'm not a Targa fan, but I am liking yours.
A part of me agrees with you about the hood crest needing to be gold. That is why I had put on the silver crest and then taken it off once already a month ago. May still go back to the gold eventually. For now, the silver will get some "hood time" (like "wrist time" for watches?! lol).

Thanks Todd.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:25 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Silver rocks ... keep it ...
Old 07-25-2009, 01:54 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Those darn large, black Nikon lenses!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:49 AM
zweebach
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased the silver hood crest before I took delivery on my car, but then realized the car had the colored wheel crests and decided to keep the gold crest.

Upon inspection, it is pretty obvious that the silver crest begins life as a gold crest. The "gold" seems to have been etched off to reveal the "silver" material beneath. The silver crest is more 3D because the material in the pockets where the antlers are has been removed. This gave me pause, because I figured wax and gunk would just get stuck in those pockets. I actually considered trying to find a clear resin to fill in the pockets, but I decided this might be overkill.

My badge is still gold.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:25 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, but I do prefer the gold emblem and colored wheel centers on my meteor grey.

I might like the silver look better if the wheel centers had some red to match the hood and brakes.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:47 PM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by zweebach
... the silver crest begins life as a gold crest. The "gold" seems to have been etched off to reveal the "silver" material beneath. The silver crest is more 3D because the material in the pockets where the antlers are has been removed...
Hmm. Interesting. I got mine from Eric so I can only speak about his silver crest product. Next to the original gold crest, my silver looks and feels like it has more materials on it, not just something that has been "etched off". I may be wrong.

I will leave this for Eric to speak to it if he wishes. I am curious as to how/what the process is for making the silver ones.

Oh and the issue with gunk or wax... answer: a soft bristle baby's toothbrush. What, doesn't everyone have one for their car?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:52 PM
jyslou
Instructor

Originally Posted by mstams
Looks good, but I do prefer the gold emblem and colored wheel centers on my meteor grey.

I might like the silver look better if the wheel centers had some red to match the hood and brakes.
If you wouldn't mind, please post a picture. I would love to see the color crest wheel caps on your Meteor Grey. I am looking for gold caps that will fit the Turbo wheels I have. Did you keep the amber sides as well? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:00 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How difficult is it to switch the emblems?
Old 07-25-2009, 02:28 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jyslou
If you wouldn't mind, please post a picture. I would love to see the color crest wheel caps on your Meteor Grey. I am looking for gold caps that will fit the Turbo wheels I have. Did you keep the amber sides as well? Thanks.
Nope. I switched to the clear sides despite having the colored wheel caps. I think it looks better. The amber bulb is visible enough to make it work. I'll snap a couple pics and post later.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:43 PM
zweebach
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Can I join the meteor gray party? This is mine with colored wheel crests and gold badge.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:01 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Since we seem to be sharing photos of silver cars, here's my GT Silver Targa with gold emblems on front and on Champion wheels. Yes, I know the front plate is terrible, but I got the car that way, and decided to leave the FOUR holes covered rather than plug them, at least for now.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 02-19-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Switched to Silver again