Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Trim, Shifter, and E-Brake Upgrade - done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Trick is then to position the seat and shifter in advance and disconnect the battery (or conveniently have a service appt for the next day ) - lack of experience is always a potential pitfall.
Or you can do what I did. I cut a small triangular piece of black electrical tape and placed it over the airbag fault light in the cluster. I almost forgot about it until this post. Next time it goes for service I'll remove the tape and have them remove the fault code. I'm sure I'll now get reprimanded by someone for doing such a tacky interim "repair".
Old 07-22-2009, 06:02 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Stevepow, could you please elaborate on just how you got the collar at the base of the PDK shift **** to release? I have bought the PDK shift trim item, but I have not installed it yet. I tried hand-turning the collar, but it wouldn't budge. Did you use a tool of some sort with something to keep from scratching the collar?

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Stevepow, could you please elaborate on just how you got the collar at the base of the PDK shift **** to release? I have bought the PDK shift trim item, but I have not installed it yet. I tried hand-turning the collar, but it wouldn't budge. Did you use a tool of some sort with something to keep from scratching the collar?

Thanks.
Here's what's going on with the collar - notice in the pics how it clamps down - there are 4 small "hooks" near the end that get pushed into 4 slots on the shaft when the collar is closed. But they fit snugly and it can make turning the collar difficult. Notice which way it turns in the pics where I have it "open" (CCW when looking down from the top) and also notice that the entire bottom of it turns . That's why it helps to have the car in a gear so that as much of the bottom of it is exposed for grabbing and twisting.

Leather gloves might help and also there's a pic of a rubber wrench that was my back-up plan (with which I would have used a lot of tape to cover anything that the wrench was not supposed to grip). For me, the old one opened right up, but I had a heck of a time getting the new one closed and secure - putting the car in D solved it immediately.

Open / Closed / Open Front / Open Side / Rubber Wrench
Attached Images      

Last edited by stevepow; 06-20-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:25 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks very much, Steve. Just what I was looking for.

John
Old 07-23-2009, 09:05 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

That definitely clarifies how it works! Thanks a lot for the detailed pics!

Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly, thanks a lot!

So, then you just pry off the the PDK surround (the new leather part) once you've removed the shifter, similar to the method for the 6 speed?

Thanks again--

Geoff.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:44 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, is your c2 have regular steel suspension? And how do you like it with the '19 wheels?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 PM
TooSixy
Racer

I got some creaking noise on the PDK shift trim near the console storage (under the PCM) and if I push the shift trim down, it goes away. So I decided to remove the PDK shift trim and put some felt tape to silence the creak. The picture of the PDK shift trim below shows the location of the 9 clips (as opposed to 6 in the 6-speed per MAcarbon's instructions).

You must remove the PDK shifter in order to remove the trim, as the plastic surround of the shifter is integrated into the trim. Put on the handbrake and move the shifter to D[rive], then turn the collar of the shifter counter-clockwise (per stevepow's instruction) and it should come off pretty easily.

I cut some small felt tapes and covered the 5 clips near the base of the trim (see pic below). I also removed the metal catches (where these clips hook into) and lined the felt tape underneath the edges of the catches. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the metal catches, but once you remove the trim, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Put everything back together and all silent! It made my day.

Thanks go to Steve for his superb and detailed instructions. I owe you one.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 PM
mmmazing
Intermediate

Does anyone have this painted and installed with pics. Want to do mine aqua blue.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

I removed the center console, got it trimmed in leather. This also triggered the airbag light to come on as I had to drive the car for two months without the console whilst it was being trimmed.

It's very annoying that the airbag warning light will come when it detects a problem but by the same logic does not clear when it detects the problem is no longer there. Once I get the console refitted I'll have to take it to the dealer to reset.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
I removed the center console, got it trimmed in leather. This also triggered the airbag light to come on as I had to drive the car for two months without the console whilst it was being trimmed.

It's very annoying that the airbag warning light will come when it detects a problem but by the same logic does not clear when it detects the problem is no longer there. Once I get the console refitted I'll have to take it to the dealer to reset.
Same thing happened to me when I removed the console on my Targa. For a while, I simply put a small piece of black electrical tape over the light under the cluster. When I removed the console from my current cab to have the console covered in leather, I had ordered a new airbag warning light since the plastic on my old one was breaking, and I plugged in the new light while the console was out so I wouldn't throw a code. (I shipped the console with the old light so they could make sure it would fit in the hole after the leather was installed). I agree, I wish the code would clear on its own, but I expect they set it up to be cleared manually because it is related to an important safety system.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:53 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

One of the reasons I wanted the center console trimming in leather was the previous owner had an issue with the passenger airbag warning light. I didn't know what the issue was but it looked like it had been glued in badly so the glue had leaked around the underside and looked a mess.

When I took the console out to ship it to be trimmed I found the problem. One of the metal clips on the light that hold it in place had snapped off. Now instead of buying a new $40 light they used glue and ruined a $600 console. Needless to say I bought a new light and the leather trimmed console looks perfect.

What I did notice was that whilst I had the console out of the car I left the wiring loom disconnected that goes to the console. This caused a beep from the alarm when locking the car. Took me a while to associate the two things. I thought initially the alarm had defaulted to beep on lock then I read the manual and it indicates a problem with the alarm. There is a little electrical box that sits vertically in the middle of the console. Not sure what this is used for, could it be a microwave intrusion sensor for the interior of the car?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
One of the reasons I wanted the center console trimming in leather was the previous owner had an issue with the passenger airbag warning light. I didn't know what the issue was but it looked like it had been glued in badly so the glue had leaked around the underside and looked a mess.

When I took the console out to ship it to be trimmed I found the problem. One of the metal clips on the light that hold it in place had snapped off. Now instead of buying a new $40 light they used glue and ruined a $600 console. Needless to say I bought a new light and the leather trimmed console looks perfect.

What I did notice was that whilst I had the console out of the car I left the wiring loom disconnected that goes to the console. This caused a beep from the alarm when locking the car. Took me a while to associate the two things. I thought initially the alarm had defaulted to beep on lock then I read the manual and it indicates a problem with the alarm. There is a little electrical box that sits vertically in the middle of the console. Not sure what this is used for, could it be a microwave intrusion sensor for the interior of the car?
I remember that module, but forget what I determined it was for, but it isn't an intrusion device as I recall. To avoid the fault, I removed the wiring loom from the console and reconnected it to the connector behind the AC panel, including the air bag light being installed on the loom. I just left the loom laying between the seats until I got the console back.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:33 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

Did the same for my car...but in black! Congrats. Awesome.

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Thanks Steve. Very helpful!

Quick Reply: Shift Trim, Shifter, and E-Brake Upgrade - done!