Sponsored by:

How To Disable the 997.2 Rear Wing in the "UP" Position

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cello

George - Was that your Diasio w/ Risenestoter at Thunderbolt on July 15 ??
Yes, it was me.
I was dicing with the white 997 GT3 Cup Car.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Is the OP really serious about this or is this a joke post?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to continue the brutality but you bought a CAB! and youre worried about the rear spoiler look?
When you buy a cab no one is going to take your spoiler seriously anyway.
Enjoy the sun and dont worry about the rear end.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Gentlemen.... point taken, already.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by George3
Yes, it was me.
I was dicing with the white 997 GT3 Cup Car.
Thought so, next time I'll introduce myself! - Hopefully I'll be there for the Risentoter three-day this fall. Beautiful car (as was the Cup) !

As for your question, if you can get it to do so with throwing a fault code, do what you want .. who cares what others think.

5 pages.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Everyone should be able to do what pleases them!

However, here is some history to consider. When Porsche began to take note of aero aids (around 1972) they found out how much added downforce they created, making them highly practical. In a short time, the size of the tails moved from the minimalist Duck tail to the Whale tail. As with everything from Porsche, there is an engineering reason behind this stuff. But there are a couple of considerations here. First, many owners think the tail is just a little too much in your face and would prefer not to have it spoiling the lines (or curves) of the 911. Unfortunately, the 911 shape is that of a perfect wing,--with the natural tendency to lift, as all wings do, at speed. Thus came along the dynamic tail spoiler,--it goes up when it's utility is needed, and down when it doesn't make a difference.

Today's 997 tails are actually quite special. They go up where their presence is needed to create a more stable vehicle, and then hide away when the speeds are lower and stability is less a factor. The fact is, when the rear spoiler is deployed upward on the 997, your coefficient of drag (cd) figure goes up. Your mileage will go down. In short,--if you DON'T need the tail up for stability enhancement, it's better all around to keep it down to maintain minimal 'parasitic drag' on the vehicle. The drag is actually higher on the cabriolets because the tail deploys higher on the cabriolets than on the coupes,--and thus the parasitic drag numbers are worse.

See image to see the cab tails are 20mm higher than the coupe. This should demonstrate the amount of engineering Porsche goes through to optimize these things. If you want it to look merely "cool" you will have to endure the dirty looks of the other 997 owners and also the console alerts that would be trying to tell you that you have a spoiler fault (should you remove the fuse to keep your tail up).

If you want to get REALLY trick, you should consider the bi-wing look! (image #2).
Attached Images   
Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Parasitic drag....good one edgy.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

From my flying days!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:44 PM
q2bruiser
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George3
Gentlemen.... point taken, already.
The way I see it, if the man bought the car he can do whatever he damn well pleases with it. If I knew how to do it, I would tell you my friend.

JKH
Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by q2bruiser
The way I see it, if the man bought the car he can do whatever he damn well pleases with it. If I knew how to do it, I would tell you my friend.

JKH
Ahhhhh.... thank you, senior.
Finally, someone with class.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 PM
FriedEgg
Instructor

I've never understood the notion of being deemed a "poseur" with wanting the wing up. The spoiler is stock for crying out loud!...lol. There are plenty of Carrera's here with GT3 bumpers/wings, etc. What do you guys call that!?!? Too funny that a guy can get so much crap for wanting the wing in the up position.

Actually, I want to know how to disable the automatic spoiler function at 75mph. I'd typically go from light to light barely in excess of 75mph in my regular commute, and don't want the wear and tear of the wing going up and down 40-60 times a day.

Last edited by FriedEgg; 07-22-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:15 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

What’s the matter guys…. It’s been two hours now. No more crude remarks, insults or wise-*** jestures? I just want to thank you all for your useless remarks.

Ya know…. This forum was designed to help Porsche enthusiasts and each other in the spirit of enjoying this fabulous automobile.

You know…. help each other out.

Yet, I got hammered, bashed and slammed for something as silly as a wing position. Imagine that. That’s an embarrassment for you all.

I’ve owned more race cars and Porsches than most of you would ever dream about in your wet dreams. But I kept a cool head in spite of your comments.

I got to admit this forum has been slowly deteriorating to the level of the yahoo forums. However, thank you to all that supported me in this thread.

Anyway…. I’m cool with it. Rock on.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (08-13-2020)
Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 AM
memo997
Intermediate

as far as I know when you extended it manually and the light comes up on the button, the only way it goes down again is when you manually retract it. By manually extending it you are switching of the automatic mode. I might be wrong but it was the explanation in the small book that come with the car.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I was having some fun. George was taking it really WELL, so I piled on.
I guess we went too far based on George's last post. It wasnt meant to be mean.
I was really impressed on how he was taking it.
George I could tell by your sig your were a diehard.
But the bottom line is you can do what you so please. I will never forget a big ole red Turbo cab
going up a mountain road one time. It had a big ole spoiler.

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-22-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:19 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

George,

How do you like the Diasio? Did you consider the turbo version? Price point are very similar between the non-turbo and turbo.

Quick Reply: How To Disable the 997.2 Rear Wing in the "UP" Position