Sponsored by:

Stigma of owning/driving a 997...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 05:41 PM
rherring
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Alex - you and I are both housing crash Porsche buyers - 2009 what a great year to join Rennlist eh
2009 was a great year to pick up a new 997.2. The factory was giving a 10K discount off of MSRP right off the top

Last edited by rherring; 09-20-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:11 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 604 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I only read the first page. Pompous little dude bought his 997 in 2009 with a line of credit. My guess he lost his job, had to short sale his house, and now lives in his parent's basement. The Porsche is surely long gone, but at least his friends still like him...
He's a good guy and has been very helpful on the forum here for years and years .

Where is all the assumptions comjng from?
Old 09-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like Alex is a nice guy, good member of the community, etc...and I apologized.

I still think that any thread that implies that the type/cost of the car you drive (i.e., that YOU can afford)...thus insinuating that you are somewhat special (i.e. Better? Richer?)...is a douche thread from the premise alone. The psychology is transparent.

As for my premise, I'm glad Alex doesn't live in his parent's basement and still has his 997. I know lots of people that used their homes as ATM's back then that lost everything and are still trying to get their heads above water.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To be honest, here in Los Angeles, I will get mostly dirty looks driving my 997TT. The Porsche stigma totally exists, pretty sad. My DD is a Lexus IS250, no looks good or bad with that one but I love it. My Viper gets a more positive response, lots of thumbs ups.

What is your guys take on this?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:15 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
This is sort of like one of those celebrity shows "Where are they now?" except it's Rennlist.
haha.
I only read the first page. Pompous little dude bought his 997 in 2009 with a line of credit. My guess he lost his job, had to short sale his house, and now lives in his parent's basement. The Porsche is surely long gone, but at least his friends still like him...
ROFL.

Originally Posted by alexb76
I still have my house, value up 80% since then. Google, Vancouver Real Estate, to learn more. Also, broaden your horizon, your view and vision, and stop being so incredibly judgmental!
haha.

Love the necrobump
Old 09-21-2016, 11:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven954
To be honest, here in Los Angeles, I will get mostly dirty looks driving my 997TT. The Porsche stigma totally exists, pretty sad. My DD is a Lexus IS250, no looks good or bad with that one but I love it. My Viper gets a more positive response, lots of thumbs ups.

What is your guys take on this?
Interesting. Since I started this thread back in 2009 and have owned a 911 since then, my experience has been mixed. I generally avoid going to places around town that may attract attention.

Generally, experience has been positive. My car isn't too flashy, most car guys admire, give nods, other Porsche guys also sometimes say hi, and kids and teens are excited to see the car. There are jerks on the road who wanna race you all the time. It happens at least once a week. Mostly truck drivers in F150 and ricers in Civic SI slammed to the floor with a big wing off the back. Lol

The only actual incident I had, was visiting Seattle during the Wall Street protests, forgot what it was called some 1% nonsense. Some idiot guy and his friends started yelling at me and my GF walking to the car, saying you've raped the country, you're a criminal, blah blah, and when we got into the car they started throwing **** at us. When I told him I'm not even American, he was startled a little but then continued further. I was about to punch his face off, but GF stopped me and we drove off. No damage to the car.

Apart from that. Nothing really. It gets more attention than my S4, but definitely not like a Ferrari would. So for new purchasers, don't worry too much. You'd be fine!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:00 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

I generally avoid going to places around town that may attract attention.
Why?
Old 09-22-2016, 12:19 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 604 Likes on 357 Posts

same here mostly positive. normally everyone at gas stations are super cool and give compliments.

Generally, experience has been positive. My car isn't too flashy, most car guys admire, give nods, other Porsche guys also sometimes say hi, and kids and teens are excited to see the car.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:23 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Why?
idiots. Keys cars and ****. Has happened to friends.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:11 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

I've only got positive attention in the 911.....

Actually got more thumbs up when I had the corvette.

When I had my lotus, WA driving home from work and stopped to get gas.. Some guy said do they let you take it out much? I was like who? The guy points to the dealership down the block. I laugh and just responded ... All the time I don't even need to ask
Old 09-22-2016, 06:38 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting. Since I started this thread back in 2009 and have owned a 911 since then, my experience has been mixed. I generally avoid going to places around town that may attract attention.

Generally, experience has been positive. My car isn't too flashy, most car guys admire, give nods, other Porsche guys also sometimes say hi, and kids and teens are excited to see the car. There are jerks on the road who wanna race you all the time. It happens at least once a week. Mostly truck drivers in F150 and ricers in Civic SI slammed to the floor with a big wing off the back. Lol

The only actual incident I had, was visiting Seattle during the Wall Street protests, forgot what it was called some 1% nonsense. Some idiot guy and his friends started yelling at me and my GF walking to the car, saying you've raped the country, you're a criminal, blah blah, and when we got into the car they started throwing **** at us. When I told him I'm not even American, he was startled a little but then continued further. I was about to punch his face off, but GF stopped me and we drove off. No damage to the car.

Apart from that. Nothing really. It gets more attention than my S4, but definitely not like a Ferrari would. So for new purchasers, don't worry too much. You'd be fine!
I drove my 911 right into a Occupy Wall Street rally in DC - nobody said anything to me but someone with a professional camera saw the irony and stood right in front of the car kneeled down and got a photo of the 911 with the entire camped out protest in the background - I wish I had that photo.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

idiots. Keys cars and ****. Has happened to friends.
In Vancouver? I heard that is fast becoming the Exotic Car Capital of the World with all the Asian money pouring in. Before long, nobody will even notice your 997...
Old 09-22-2016, 11:23 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rherring
2009 was a great year to pick up a new 997.2. The factory was giving a 10K discount off of MSRP right off the top
Same here - too good to pass up!

Atlanta - seems like no one cares what car you have - plenty of 911s around - plenty of every make really - even the occasional super exotic stuff. Sometimes I get compliments from fans and enthusiasts, mostly its just another car in a sea of cars and most people I know are plenty comfortable and confident about whatever they drive.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:56 AM
TexPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't care how much someone's house is valued at or the financial process they used when buying their Porsche.

I enjoy the hell out of my Porsche each time I drive it, could care less about what others think.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:09 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I still have my house, value up 80% since then. Google, Vancouver Real Estate, to learn more. Also, broaden your horizon, your view and vision, and stop being so incredibly judgmental!
Depending on who wins the US presidential election, Vancouver real estate values may be shooting up even more.

Quick Reply: Stigma of owning/driving a 997...