Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:13 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Hi all,
My 06 4S is coming up on the end of the warranty and need some help from the great people of this forum. I was the 2nd owner....
1. The warranty starts from the day the car was 1st sold right?
2. I have 6 months left on time but the milage is only at 21K.

What do you all think about getting an extended warranty? I will be keeping this car for awhile.
What have all of you paid? Is it worth it? Negotiable? Who do you see at the dealer? Is it always time and /or milage?
Thanks as always for helping out with your knowledge!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Im done in 10 months...lookin forward to the feedback.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:53 PM
CMOS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read, if you are planning to keep the car for several more years, the warranty is worthwhile.

A few points: there will be a deductible. Depending on that number, the warranty might not help you with "minor" problems.
The price for the warranty is highly negotiable.

It might be easiest to get the warranty from the dealer that you will be servicing at. That might streamline the claims process.

Maybe you can work out a deal where you get the warranty at a discount in exchange for a promise to have the car serviced there.

Since you have to file claims yourself, I think the purchase of the warranty and the actual servicing are two completely separate things. You could probably buy the service contract from a dealer in FLA and be serviced in NY and submit your claims.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by GraSox
Hi all,
My 06 4S is coming up on the end of the warranty and need some help from the great people of this forum. I was the 2nd owner....

What do you all think about getting an extended warranty? I will be keeping this car for awhile.
What have all of you paid? Is it worth it? Negotiable? Who do you see at the dealer? Is it always time and /or milage?
Double check to see when the original warranty started. It starts when the dealer starts it. If the car was a "demonstrator" it could have started before being sold to the first end user
Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Given the few miles you drive the car why bother with extended warranty....

Originally Posted by GraSox
Hi all,

It will only expire on time anyway and almost always problems arise from miles driven not time car sits unused.

If you want extended warranty (service contract) know the company you're dealing with. You are buying "insurance" and you want company around when (if) you have to file a claim.

Get fine print *before* you buy and read to see what is and is not covered. Gaskets, seals, etc. may not be covered. Things that are covered may be covered up to a limit that may not be anywhere near what repair will cost.

Find out what you have to do to keep coverage intact. Find out if you can have car serviced/repaired anywhere.

And these extended warranty/service contracts have a huge mark up so price is negotiable.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:01 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Extended warranties are all over the place -If you are keeping the car, I'd recommend buying from the Porsche dealer where you get your car serviced or one very close. Check to be sure that they 1)honor the warranty across the US, 2) that you don't have to file a claim, 3) that their policy is to pay the servicing dealer upfront so you are only stuck with the dedutible. Also be sure to read the fine print as most of these contracts will not pay for any diagnostic work. Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:23 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice posted here. I was thinking of this issue myself after my recent 2 year service. Although I have 23 months left on the warranty, I have less than 8000 miles on the odometer and wondered if at the projected low mileage I would be at when my warranty expires, it would be fiscally sound to purchase an extended warranty.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:56 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Default cost?

Can someone tell us a "ballpark" price of the extended warranties that they have purchased? Deductible?
Old 07-19-2009, 01:11 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The ones I've priced are $4000 to $6000. The best I can tell is that price covers everything except tires, clutch, brakes, and other wear items. When you check into these company's most if not all do not look very stable. One that I did find that does look stable is a policy from United Auto which is a Penski company.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

GraSox, pm me if your interested in finding out what kind of a deal we could get if we both bought. Anyone else that is interested let me know.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:43 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Default warranty

PM sent!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

I would STRONGLY advise against the guys pitching on TV all the time. I have heard nothing but nightmares about them. US Fidelis. They operated under another business name before but changed their name (gee, I wonder why!) Their CEO and some of their other officers have some pen time in their resumes...
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I would STRONGLY advise against the guys pitching on TV all the time. I have heard nothing but nightmares about them. US Fidelis. They operated under another business name before but changed their name (gee, I wonder why!) Their CEO and some of their other officers have some pen time in their resumes...
+1
Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 AM
DanJK
Racer

4k - 6k sounds high, but regardless, I don't see how its a good gamble.

Low mileage cars, well cared for by you - in order for you to make out you would need a near catastrophic failure. Policies don't typically cover wear items so your talking about only a few major items that would need to grenade. Sure it happens, but with the 997, how realistic is it to expect a one time 4k - 6k bill on a non-wear item unrelated to an accident?

Put an extra $200 in the bank each month, designate it your fix it fund, and make a little interest. Just a thought.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 PM
voda
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't done with Porsche, but looked into for my Lexus at the dealership. Was suprised how much I could haggle on the price of the extended warranty; got them down by about 30%.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty