Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 PM
CMOS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanJK
Policies don't typically cover wear items so your talking about only a few major items that would need to grenade. Sure it happens, but with the 997, how realistic is it to expect a one time 4k - 6k bill on a non-wear item unrelated to an accident?

Put an extra $200 in the bank each month, designate it your fix it fund, and make a little interest. Just a thought.
Good point. Just make sure that your RMS is looking good before your factory warranty expires.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

4k - 6k sounds high, but regardless, I don't see how its a good gamble.

Low mileage cars, well cared for by you - in order for you to make out you would need a near catastrophic failure. Policies don't typically cover wear items so your talking about only a few major items that would need to grenade. Sure it happens, but with the 997, how realistic is it to expect a one time 4k - 6k bill on a non-wear item unrelated to an accident?

Put an extra $200 in the bank each month, designate it your fix it fund, and make a little interest. Just a thought.
It's a good thought and one that I haven't ruled out.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

4k - 6k sounds high, but regardless, I don't see how its a good gamble.

Low mileage cars, well cared for by you - in order for you to make out you would need a near catastrophic failure. Policies don't typically cover wear items so your talking about only a few major items that would need to grenade. Sure it happens, but with the 997, how realistic is it to expect a one time 4k - 6k bill on a non-wear item unrelated to an accident?

You may have talked me out of an extended warranty with this post.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
chuckla
Racer

My warranty is up next March and I have no intention of buying a third party warranty even though I intend to keep the car for some meaningful period after March. Apart from the credit risk (will the insurer be around and, if so, capable of meeting claims?), the cost of buying the insurance and the hassles of having a claim honored and paid make the purchase far less desirable for me. As others have noted, these companies seem to attract some of the worst characters as owners and officers, probably because they are not regulated by state insurance commissions. Naturally, buying a policy from a Porsche dealer discourages taking your car for service elsewhere because the claim process becomes even more complicated. And, that means that there is dealer risk-will that dealer be around, will the same owners and/or employees be there when you go to make a claim, etc?
Old 07-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Mine is up this coming Sept and I've decided against buying an extended warranty plan. I kept my 996 five years past its factory warranty, and the only issue during that span was the alternator ($1k). With the price tag, claim hassle, and the uncertainty of the 3rd party companies, I might as well just wing it with my 997.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty