Sponsored by:

997.2 Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
I broke the 1000 miles mark yesterday and checked the oil. It was down one bar. Should I add some now or wait? If so, how much do I add?
Down 1 bar? Just wait till the bottom skinny bar is flashing then add a bit more than 1/2 a quart. The oil level indicator is not exactly accurate in these cars and it is very easy to over fill the oil. I keep mine at 1/2 way on the lighted bars and sometimes it shows half and sometimes all the bars are lite up....DO NOT OVER FILL THE OIL.

Do this as a test. Get the oil hot and drive home and park in the garage and check the oil level. Then turn the car off for 3-5 minutes and start it back up and re-check the oil. You will see that the 2nd oil level check will be higher than the 1st. This is why it is very easy to over fill the oil.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thanks...I checked as you said and now it is ok. I am not new to the oil, the M6 burned alot. Now, about that black shoot coming from both sides of the exhaust....
Old 07-21-2009, 08:22 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

thanks...I checked as you said and now it is ok. I am not new to the oil, the M6 burned alot. Now, about that black shoot coming from both sides of the exhaust....
I've got about 7,500 miles on mine and the black soot is much less now than when new. I'm not sure if it is the mileage or the fact that it is summer time and when starting the mixture is much leaner than it was when mileage was lower and it was cooler last winter. Consumption has gone from a quart very 500 miles to a quart every 2,500 miles now.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have been dealing with tail-pipe soot for several years. It's at the point that frankly I'm a little surprised (knowing Porsche) that they haven't painted them black to hide the soot--like they were done years ago.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:27 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the electronic oil level gauge accurate? After over ten thousand miles and it still show full? No oil consumption at all. I wonder....
Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Yep I have the black sooting too. However when I go to the track the soot goes away and the tip turn a white/gray on the inside and all around the outside....hummmm.

My dealer is baffled and PCNA will not say anything.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Is the electronic oil level gauge accurate? After over ten thousand miles and it still show full? No oil consumption at all. I wonder....
The 2005-08 oil level indicator seemed to be very accurate and you check the oil with the engine off.

The 2009 oil level indicator IS NOT accurate and you check the oil with the engine hot and running...BUT...when you shut the car off and let it sit for 3-5 minutes and re-start it...the engine is obviously still hot and the oil level will show more bars...especially if the 1st check show mid level or lower level on the indicator.

On a 2009 DO NOT ADD OIL if the indicator is at half lighted bars! Only add when the skinny lowest line is blinking. BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER FILL!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
You probably use very little. What amount you do use is probably being offset by moisture. Do you drive mostly long trips, or a bunch of short ones?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike the reason you have black soot is becuase around town you are probably running a bit rich and the car doesnt get to stretch its legs. Then you go to the track the car gets to run like its supposed to and your
color turns to the perfect white grey.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:49 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You probably use very little. What amount you do use is probably being offset by moisture. Do you drive mostly long trips, or a bunch of short ones?
Both long and short. Mostly short one avg 10miles per segment. Had a long one @ 2500miles around Cali, Nev and AZ, still low to no consumption. Was expecting at least a quart every two to three months, nothing significant at all. It's time for my 40k service anyway, will find out if there are any oil left.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

checked oil level twice today and both times full bars. I've also noticed the car 'loosening up' the past few days. I guess the engine is breaking in nicely. I've driving it auto, auto-sport and manual-sport. I did not try the 'plus' button yet...
Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Mike the reason you have black soot is becuase around town you are probably running a bit rich and the car doesnt get to stretch its legs. Then you go to the track the car gets to run like its supposed to and your
color turns to the perfect white grey.
Yes that is what my local indy Porsche shop and I were talking about. The car runs really good so I have not made a big deal about the soot issue with Porsche.

I'd like to run it harder on the street but If I run it up through the gears I am doing well over 100mph in no time.

I just need to go to the track more often. I am on a self imposed track ban until this fall...self control is notone of my best traits but I'm trying.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can run it through the RPMs on street use.. you just never get beyond 2nd gear or maybe 3rd. ;-)

Quick Reply: 997.2 Oil Question