It is smarter than me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:08 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It is smarter than me!

Have no fears with regard to PDK or future regrets. It is a lot a fun, changes the driving dynamics and while your left foot is relegated to only bracing yourself (fun when you do it) the mind and hands are occupied with the timing and number of shifts; and alternatives available to try. I had fun chasing motorcycles that over slowed for twisty corners and then tried to speed away on the straights, they couldn't because PDK always had me in the right gear ready for faster acceleration. For me, the driving dynamics are slightly changed in that you are inclined to corner faster and brake differently (do others note this?) and this changes your focus and turn in. On well known roads and corners, because my mind was in a slightly different place with PDK my apex positioning was a little different. Not in too bad a way, but required an awareness to stay a little further ahead of the car due to increased speeds. Hence the need for the left foot availability to brace yourself, who said your left foot has nothing to do?!

In traffic, you might regret a six speed but in the twisties you will not regret a PDK.

I did my best to drive the PDK so it would put me in the wrong gear, and I couldn't do it. (It is smarter than me!). Even in Auto mode (fuel saving) a quick pull on the button and zoom. The possibilities and potential of this thing are great, and I will bet money we will see it in future GT3 cars, despite the current denials.

The issue regarding pedals versus buttons is, to me, manufactured verbiage from journalists who rarely drive such cars and, like all us, of seek familiarity with previous experiences. I can't think of any competent driver who wouldn't adopt in a few minutes. Plus the Porsche has the lever as an additional choice, something not available form Ferrari. It works in the same plane and manner. Imagine how confusing (in the heat of battle) it would be to have the lever work one way and pedals working another way. No magazine has raised the above issue yet to my knowledge!! So unless Porsche takes away the lever, I'd stay away from pedals. I have extensive time with all three types and all I can say is that the Porsche method is the most intuitive. Had they been first out of the box, pedals on the column or steering wheel might never have made it, and they might not survive either!

Simply put, they are reasons (marginal) for each choice manual or PDK, but there is no wrong answer.

All in all of the I am enjoying the German engineered transmission (that I bought for my wife), more than I even thought I would.

So far so good!
Old 07-11-2009, 02:11 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear. Putting PDK in a GT3 would change the world for those of us that track... I am a purist, but anything that relieves me from perfecting 'heel and toe' is a good thing!

Thanks for the write-up!

-B
Old 07-11-2009, 02:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
... It is a lot a fun, changes the driving dynamics and while your left foot is relegated to only bracing yourself (fun when you do it) the mind and hands are occupied with the timing and number of shifts ... I had fun chasing motorcycles that over slowed for twisty corners and then tried to speed away on the straights, they couldn't because PDK always had me in the right gear ready for faster acceleration... Plus the Porsche has the lever as an additional choice, something not available form Ferrari. It works in the same plane and manner. Imagine how confusing (in the heat of battle) it would be to have the lever work one way and pedals working another way. No magazine has raised the above issue yet to my knowledge!! ...
Great report! The quotes above sum it all for PDK!

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
... Even in Auto mode (fuel saving) a quick pull on the button and zoom.
Very true. The auto program is adaptive and learns from driving style (throttle application) and of course is preempted by appropriate manual commands.

Last edited by ADias; 07-11-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

great post!

I too am looking forward to a PDK GT3.

Quick Reply: It is smarter than me!