Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Shifter / Sport Exhaust--Is There A Big Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, he's a lawyer. he can take care of himself...
Old 07-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have PASM - SSK, PSE and suspension are all must have options/mods.

Can save a few bucks by getting the B&M, same as Porsches, and DIY.

It's easy to disable the cut-off on the exhaust too.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have to say that the stock exhaust and intake howl on my C2S coupe are outstanding, provided you have the windows down to hear it. Pretty quiet inside otherwise, which is why I think some people like the PSE. I have the factory sport shift option and it's fantastic. Feels direct, not too notchy, but I agree with others that cold weather makes first gear a little balky. A shift to second then first works around it just fine.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anybody here done the B&M or stock sports shifter retrofit? How is the difficulty level? I saw the B&M instruction and wasn't sure if I am up to tearing apart my center console...
Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Steven B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the B&M on my 996 4 weeks ago. Went slowly, and it still only took 2 1/2 hours.
Love it.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by steph280
Has anybody here done the B&M or stock sports shifter retrofit? How is the difficulty level? I saw the B&M instruction and wasn't sure if I am up to tearing apart my center console...
I installed an OEM sports shifter a few months ago. It is much easier than installing the B&M, as you don't need to destroy anything. It is a complete changeout of the shifter assembly. If you are patient and reasonably competent, it is an easy job. The OEM SSK is only around $300 at Sunset Porsche in Oregon.

I also installed a PSE on my car a year ago, along with X51 headers. So if you can't find a good deal, i would just retrofit your current car with these items. Used PSE components and X51 headers are occasionally available on the forums, especially 6speedonline classifieds. Or you can buy new at suppliers like Suncoast in Florida. Be sure any used PSE exhausts include the wiring, solenoid, tubing, etc. so that you can control it. I installed a simple on-off switch in my console ashtray to have direct control over the PSE mufflers, and find the control very useful.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
...PSE is also finicky, where even if you turn it on (loud), it will turn itself off depending on the RPM...
Just disconnect the orange plug and PSE will stay in loud mode. I disconnected mine a year ago and have never reconnected it. Just be sure to strap the loose connector to something so it doesn't flop around. Supposedly you can get the same effect by removing a fuse but I don't know which one.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2009, 11:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Just disconnect the orange plug and PSE will stay in loud mode. I disconnected mine a year ago and have never reconnected it. Just be sure to strap the loose connector to something so it doesn't flop around. Supposedly you can get the same effect by removing a fuse but I don't know which one.
I preferred the manual switch so that I still had direct control. I find there are times I don't want the added noise.

BTW, I didn't notice until now that the OP has a C2. Do the PSE mufflers and X51
headers fit on a C2? If not, then he'd obviously be better off to get a C2S if he wants PSE.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 AM
memo997
Intermediate

PSE mufflers are same all across, X51 headers however only fit to S cars
Old 07-16-2009, 12:39 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by memo997
PSE mufflers are same all across, X51 headers however only fit to S cars
Thanks. Makes sense, but I wasn't sure.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The PSE cuts out at certain SPEEDS (not RPMs) due to Swiss noise-abatement laws to which Porsche complies. If you're any sort of Porsche driver you won't be in that speed range for very long!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 AM
CMOS
Advanced

Originally Posted by agdamis
I thought the same until I fried the right side. Now that the CPO does not cover the PSE I am going with the Darin Fister special!!

Careful with it on all the time.
CPO doesn't cover the PSE??? I thought covered everything just as the original warranty, no?

Quick Reply: Sport Shifter / Sport Exhaust--Is There A Big Difference?