Sponsored by:

Greenwich New Country Porsche is Bad News - IMHO

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:35 PM
JMorgan456
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greenwich New Country Porsche is Bad News - IMHO

The recent "serious buyer - prove it" thread got me boiling.

I assume the "Greenwich area" dealer is New Country. If so, he should be ashamed to post his arrogant ramblings here. Based on my personal experience, it seems that the entire dealership carries a holier than thou mindset.

I have been to the dealer several times. So my comments are not based upon a "one bad day experience." The Greenwich dealer is by far the most local to me in Stamford, CT. I have been routinely lied to, maligned, ignored or generally treated poorly.

As a result, I will gladly drive 20 miles out of my way to give my business to the Fairfield dealer. Which, in marked contrast, ALWAYS treated me fairly and with respect. Even before they sold me my Boxster. Even before, I they serviced the Boxster. And even before I sent everyone I know is in the market for a Porsche there.

Obviously, the other employees at Greenwich take the arrogant attitude from the person at the top.

For the record, I have multiple cars including a Boxster, A-H BT7, Camaro and Saab. If I want a 911 I can get one. (Well - at least up to a C4S). I might have bought one (a 996 Cab) last time I was at the New Country dealership, but PUH-lease what bad form.

Everytime I go there I walk out shaking my head wondering why anyone would WANT to deal with them.

Now - to be fair - from what I can tell, Greenwich frequently has more available stock than other dealers. Whether that is because of higher allocation or trade with other dealers I don't know. They also seem to have a decent selection of pre-owed stock. So, if you were from, say, NJ and wanted a particular car and never planned to see the dealer again, Greenwich might be a good choice. If you are going to walk in and just pay MSRP because you can and "want what you want when you want it" Greenwich is probably your dealership.

If you want to be treated fairly, with respect and without the arrogant BS attitude such as displayed on this board - GO ANYWHERE ELSE. For my part, I will go to White Plains, Nanuet, Danbury and definitely FAIRFIELD long before I will give business to Greenwich. I suggest you do to.

As to his comments that boarders posting the details of their good deals or seeking negotiating help - I say: Those posts are some of the best for US the owners. Hopefully, it will help folks who want the cars for the right reasons to get into them. I hope that most buyers don't really care about the "devalue" of the car. They bought it to drive and enjoy - not as an investment.

The above post is based solely on my personal experiences and my own person opinions YMMV. In fact, you may like dealing with arrogant folks. I don't. Shop at your own risk.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:39 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tell me more about your healey...
Old 07-07-2009, 12:11 AM
JMorgan456
Track Day

1960 BT7 Looks to be numbers maching - but I haven't rec'd the info from british heritage yet. I am not really sure I will. I am looking for a driver not concourse correct.

Bought from Sports and Classics in Stamford, CT

The bodywork is mostly done. I bet body will be complete by labor day +/-

The head is en route to the machine shop. I am rebuilding the running gear myself. I hope to have it on the road in basically "better then new" condition by spring.

Once done will be healey blue over ivory with blue interior.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jm,

Go get em! Tell it like it is bruddah!

Let the Car Salesman Bashing begin!
(Present company excluded of course)

You wanna know what gets me? It's the fact that over half of the supposed "Sales Professionals" at most dealerships don't even know their friggin PRODUCT! Spend a week on Rennlist or Renntech and you will know more about the car you are looking at than they will. I mean, they're selling $50-100k plus items and they don't even have the passion to pick up the manual in their spare time. Pathetic!
Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 AM
MartyB
Racer

P car salesmen are superfluous. Learn about the cars here - information is more reliable. Decide what you want from a spec sheet or build your own website and go to the top. 2 Atlanta sales managers weren't interested in selling me a car at my price . . . which is okay. I ended up talking to a sales manager at a dealership 3 hours away, told him my exact specs and MSRP and percentage below MSRP that I was willing to pay and we had a deal in 10 minutes. He ordered the car for me and I saw him for the first time when I picked the car up. I have had my car in to both Atlanta dealers for service and they treat me like I'm VIP. Buying a car does not have to be difficult or dramatic - unless you let it go that way.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:45 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my porsche salesman is great! like i've said before, i feel like i paid too much and he feels like i didn't pay enough. perfect.

seriously, i shopped at brumos, beverly hills, suncoast and naples. BH almost had a bluebird from me but in the end Henry Freeman at suncoast knew the product and could not care less that my 3 year old daughter rearranged all of the literature. btw, brumos just didn't have the product i was looking for and i doubt i'll be back to naples unless i have an urge to set fire to something.

the internet has disintermediated alot of the sales process in today's marketplace. smart salespeople know that.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:50 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by JMorgan456
The recent "serious buyer - prove it" thread got me boiling.

I assume the "Greenwich area" dealer is New Country. If so, he should be ashamed to post his arrogant ramblings here. Based on my personal experience, it seems that the entire dealership carries a holier than thou mindset.

I have been to the dealer several times. So my comments are not based upon a "one bad day experience." The Greenwich dealer is by far the most local to me in Stamford, CT. I have been routinely lied to, maligned, ignored or generally treated poorly.

As a result, I will gladly drive 20 miles out of my way to give my business to the Fairfield dealer. Which, in marked contrast, ALWAYS treated me fairly and with respect. Even before they sold me my Boxster. Even before, I they serviced the Boxster. And even before I sent everyone I know is in the market for a Porsche there.

Obviously, the other employees at Greenwich take the arrogant attitude from the person at the top.

For the record, I have multiple cars including a Boxster, A-H BT7, Camaro and Saab. If I want a 911 I can get one. (Well - at least up to a C4S). I might have bought one (a 996 Cab) last time I was at the New Country dealership, but PUH-lease what bad form.

Everytime I go there I walk out shaking my head wondering why anyone would WANT to deal with them.

Now - to be fair - from what I can tell, Greenwich frequently has more available stock than other dealers. Whether that is because of higher allocation or trade with other dealers I don't know. They also seem to have a decent selection of pre-owed stock. So, if you were from, say, NJ and wanted a particular car and never planned to see the dealer again, Greenwich might be a good choice. If you are going to walk in and just pay MSRP because you can and "want what you want when you want it" Greenwich is probably your dealership.

If you want to be treated fairly, with respect and without the arrogant BS attitude such as displayed on this board - GO ANYWHERE ELSE. For my part, I will go to White Plains, Nanuet, Danbury and definitely FAIRFIELD long before I will give business to Greenwich. I suggest you do to.

As to his comments that boarders posting the details of their good deals or seeking negotiating help - I say: Those posts are some of the best for US the owners. Hopefully, it will help folks who want the cars for the right reasons to get into them. I hope that most buyers don't really care about the "devalue" of the car. They bought it to drive and enjoy - not as an investment.

The above post is based solely on my personal experiences and my own person opinions YMMV. In fact, you may like dealing with arrogant folks. I don't. Shop at your own risk.
Is Nanuet still open?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dD/dt
Is Nanuet still open?

Yes. Nanuet was bought by Jack Daniels from Prestige several months ago. JD is building a new P-Car dealership on Rt. 17 near Saddle River but will stay in Nanuet until it's completed in a year or two.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For those who haven't noticed, the economy sucks. Neither Porsche nor most high end cars (or most others for that matter) are selling many cars. I will (and have) walk out of any dealer who is arrogant in any way, be it attitude, non-price competitive etc. As an example, my wife and I just bought an '09 328xi for her, factory ordered. I called all the local Philly dealers and was told that the car couldn't be bought for less than $1500-1000 over invoice. And it was like I was doing them a favor buying from them. I got answers like "they're laying off sales people - how can we possibly sell it to you for less?" NOT MY PROBLEM! Got a tip from a BMW poster who recommended Apple BMW in York PA - 2 hours from my home. Over the phone I was told by a very softspoken salesman that he would sell me the car at $500 over invoice - and absolutely zero hidden charges. He laughed when I told him of my Philly experience and said he gets lots of folks from here driving out to York to pick up cars. Anyway, I ordered the car from him, and in 6 weeks we picked it up - an absolutely delightful experience start to finish. The local dealers can keep their cars and their salesmen for all I care. It's a buyer's market and the dealers know it, or should.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

The arrogance demonstrated there in Connecticut is precisely the same as demonstrated by GM and Chrysler until they got canned. They were so far removed from the numbers they just didn't get it. And they continue not to get it. They all want to claim that "the culture has changed." BS. Culture that is well established like that doesn't change overnight. This dealer won't ever sort it out,--is my prediction. Economic slow downs are part of life. It is what weeds out the crappy ones. It's the old saying,--what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. I think their survival is in doubt, until some resourceful person comes along to buy them up and turn their staff around. We had the same problem in my town with a very arrogant dealer who wouldn't deal at all,--forcing many customers away, to the LA market. When these guys took over they stated that they were going to match and improve upon that market,--and they are in business to succeed.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JMorgan456
They are too busy responding to their 200+ emails per day. You think they will still have time to talk to you?!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

I buy parts from Greenwich Porsche. I have had excellent experience with one person and bad with another. This is just within one department.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The arrogance demonstrated there in Connecticut is precisely the same as demonstrated by GM and Chrysler until they got canned. They were so far removed from the numbers they just didn't get it. And they continue not to get it. They all want to claim that "the culture has changed." BS. Culture that is well established like that doesn't change overnight. This dealer won't ever sort it out,--is my prediction. Economic slow downs are part of life. It is what weeds out the crappy ones. It's the old saying,--what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. I think their survival is in doubt, until some resourceful person comes along to buy them up and turn their staff around. We had the same problem in my town with a very arrogant dealer who wouldn't deal at all,--forcing many customers away, to the LA market. When these guys took over they stated that they were going to match and improve upon that market,--and they are in business to succeed.
hey, if you're in the service business you have to learn that it means different things to different customers. and get over it, fast!

culture change? no kidding. wait a few months, it will change again. an important part about functional intelligence is the ability to adapt to not just different things, but totally new things as well.

Quick Reply: Greenwich New Country Porsche is Bad News - IMHO