Sponsored by:

Serious buyer? Prove it

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:54 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
I don't think that anyone selling any product in todays market has the ability to lay the ground rules for a purchase. Sorry that's not happening for a while. And if you think you can than your going to get more and more frustrated about these idiot buyers not wanting to pay what you want them to pay.
+1

I would just recommend that you respond to every email, and since the dealership gets 200 emails, not all being leads, I'm sure you can find the time in your 70 hours to respond. If you get a bad response back, well then that's not a lead. I also wouldn't come on to a Porsche forum and bitch about buyers, there's a lot of folks that buy these cars on this forum and there's a lot of ways that they go about it.
Yeah, it sounds like the OP is pissy because he doesn't know how to qualify today's buyers. Telling them they're trying to purchase the car "wrong" isn't a good place to start.

To the OP: respond to the "best price" e-mails if you want, don't respond if you don't want, but don't convince yourself that Porsche buyers need Porsche salesmen right now more than the salesmen need the buyers.

I once had a Honda salesman tell me that he wasn't going to go back and forth with pricing against another dealer. I told him that he wasn't going to sell a car, then, and walked out the door. From what I can see, nothing has changed in the industry.

Oh, and if you think you're having a hard time as a car salesman right now, try selling heavy construction equipment. Remember, somebody else always has it worse.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 PM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To use but one example, I think when sales people such as captain insane and engorged spend more time constructively responding to phone inquiries from interested buyers than posting emoticons on rennlist forums in a show of solidarity with fellow salesmen disparaging potential buyers than perhaps their sales will increase. But in the meantime, by all means, bitch away. Gotta fill the 70 hour work week somehow...

And yes, I've stopped waiting for your reply. And no, I won't be buying my next P-car car from your dealership or my next P-car after that and so on. However, please let me know if I can be of any further help in assisting you in improving your sales in this challenging environment (insert cute emoticon here!)...
Old 07-05-2009, 06:05 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Spend more time selling and less time crying here and you might actualy make a little money.
abe
Old 07-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batty
To use but one example, I think when sales people such as captain insane and engorged spend more time constructively responding to phone inquiries from interested buyers than posting emoticons on rennlist forums in a show of solidarity with fellow salesmen disparaging potential buyers than perhaps their sales will increase. But in the meantime, by all means, bitch away. Gotta fill the 70 hour work week somehow...

And yes, I've stopped waiting for your reply. And no, I won't be buying my next P-car car from your dealership or my next P-car after that and so on. However, please let me know if I can be of any further help in assisting you in improving your sales in this challenging environment (insert cute emoticon here!)...
Me thinks you missed the point of my smiley.

Today is my day off. I've been here for over seven years and helped many, many, owners w/numerous things, the least of which is buying a car. See: Lifetime Membership. I've driven well over 100k miles in 911s and have owned one or the other for almost 20 years now. I'm here as an owner, not a seller, and agree w/many of sentiments posted by other Members.

And just for you
Old 07-05-2009, 06:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
...unless OCBen's right and the 90% of us that are offended by the OP are too stupid to get this...
Either learn how to use the quote button or don't pretend you understand my posts by trying to paraphrase them.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
batty
Instructor

Bravo, a timely response. What a novel concept. Now when I call you directly for help its because I WANT help, not because I want to be ignored completely or because I care whether you have 20 years as a Porsche owner. And if you are here as an owner and not as a seller why have Sales Consultant, Roger Jobs Motors, as your sig? Just saying.

But thanks for the smiley face, I'm not going to put that in my pipe and smoke it while I look for affordable 997s out of state. Again, you've been a big help. Lifetime "member" or no.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batty
Bravo, a timely response. What a novel concept. Now when I call you directly for help its because I WANT help, not because I want to be ignored completely or because I care whether you have 20 years as a Porsche owner. And if you are here as an owner and not as a seller why have Sales Consultant, Roger Jobs Motors, as your sig? Just saying.

But thanks for the smiley face, I'm not going to put that in my pipe and smoke it while I look for affordable 997s out of state. Again, you've been a big help. Lifetime "member" or no.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:34 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

what a great thread, everyone can bitch and cry, even the sellers.
don't email, don't sell anything. simple.
a lead is a lead in my book.
I'm sure there's a glengarry clip that might fit here.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I don't understand the premise that as the buyer I have to make the first offer. I simply want to know what the dealer's price is on a specific car. Give me a price and I will take it or leave it. It doesn't have to be the best price, but if it is significantly higher than what I know the market is then I won't deal with that dealer.

I can't remember how many times dealers have played games trying to extract every ounce of profit from a deal. I can't stand being manipulated. I can't stand having salesmen and dealers try to play games in an effort to "Control" me. Giving them a phone number can be a disaster. We got a call from a local Porsche dealer for 6 months, but if you ask them to give you a price on a car they balk. You have to make the first offer.

Luckily there are dealers who seem to get this. Thankfully one of them is one of the two Porsche dealers here in Cincinnati.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I don't understand the premise that as the buyer I have to make the first offer. I simply want to know what the dealer's price is on a specific car. Give me a price and I will take it or leave it. It doesn't have to be the best price, but if it is significantly higher than what I know the market is then I won't deal with that dealer.

I can't remember how many times dealers have played games trying to extract every ounce of profit from a deal. I can't stand being manipulated. I can't stand having salesmen and dealers try to play games in an effort to "Control" me. Giving them a phone number can be a disaster. We got a call from a local Porsche dealer for 6 months, but if you ask them to give you a price on a car they balk. You have to make the first offer.

Luckily there are dealers who seem to get this. Thankfully one of them is one of the two Porsche dealers here in Cincinnati.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Spend more time selling and less time crying here and you might actualy make a little money.
abe
Hmmm, OP sez he's in the Greenwich area. If Google is right, there aren't too many dealers there.

Rather than offering constructive observations, he's doing a good job of alienating a large group of potential buyers and reinforcing the already negative image of car salesmen.

But, I'm probably another one of those awful "point missers" too
Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxsar
Giving them a phone number can be a disaster.
This is the kiss of death...calling for literally years after the visit. From the number they get your address and then the mailers begin. Doomed for life to be on some dealerships mailing list.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:01 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Brinkley
what a great thread...
OMG - I had to change my Avatar, Gabrielle (http://www.louvre.fr/llv/oeuvres/det...15&bmLocale=en), and now I see yours - I like it, great photo - I just find myself having no idea what "G" rated is now.

Sorry for the OT, but wow!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

That gt68 is suprised and dismayed at folks asking for info without identifying themselves is indicative of frustration and gettin burned out.

Dude picked the wrong place to vent.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:05 PM
dmaxwellh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"and if the $1,000 is that important to you, you probably shouldn't be buying a 911"

This is the most remarkable untruth. It is because many of us are compulsive about saving and spending that affords us the opportunity to purchase such a luxury. I am unimpressed with this salesman's outlook!

Quick Reply: Serious buyer? Prove it