Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious buyer? Prove it

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:52 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they ignored my email, they lost a sale last week.

My local three dealers where i have bought many cars in the past all rebuffed my offers in June. When July programs were announced, not one of them called or emailed me to see if i still was in the market, and they still have their "old" 2009 stock sitting aging. I ended up driving the 2008 cpo from West Palm, Florida. Luckily he thought i was for real and did not make me "prove" anything. He just accepted my offer and put it on a truck for overnight delivery
Old 07-13-2009, 08:53 AM
exKing of Fitz III
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, how far things have gone downhill in Greenwich after Malcolm Pray got rid of his dealership !!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:10 PM
voda
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting in on this late

Not going to spend all the time to read all the replies, but want to respond to your initial thread: A couple things, if as a consumer we want the best deal, what's wrong with that? You make it sound like a crime (well actually you sound like a whining 12 year old who's parents took his iphone). If anyone out there really wants to know what things are going for, it's easy to get access to Manheim Highline Auctions results, this will open your eyes to the real market. I've use the "best price email" on 4 occasions and bought 4 cars this way getting much better deals than I was able to verbally negotiate and with much less time and hassle involved (this method is laid out in the Motley Fools book by the way). I highly recommend using this method, because dealers who want to move inventory will respond and work with you.

You want potential buyers to provide their I.D., so why don't you cut the hypocricy and identify yourself and dealership? And how hard would it be to respond to your emails anyways? It's like fishing, if you don't cast out your line you're not going to catch anything.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to point to anyone in particular and not saying that they are false. But why are there so many new users with under 20 posts posting to this thread?

Just putting it out there.

Opps looks like one was already banned too.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:11 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

To the OP - I feel ya, but the negative response on this site is due to:

- Negative treatment we have all had buying a car / dealerships (undercoating, clear coat, pushy calls, that's not under warranty, etc.). To hear the "other side" complain takes some of us off-guard. You may be the best in the business, but the business is known for these issues / problems.

- I was the 16yr old (never asked for a price) who loved Porsche and BMW. I had a BMW test drive when I was 20 - I was treated like a child, like I was wasting their time. Three years later I bought a BMW from ANOTHER dealership. Have a long term view - not a quarter year view. One kind e-mail (even copy/paste) can go a long way.

- Honest question: I can buy an '06 C2S with less than 15k miles for the low 50's pretty easily (with PPI) from a private party. Dealers are about $10k more. What is the value of paying the premium to buy from a dealer? This is not a loaded question. The reality is that some people are hurting more than dealers and are looking to dump a car - what is your "value proposition" (hate that term).

I hope things work out for you - being up late worrying about your business / family / employees family is tough. My advice? Take that the responses from this site ARE typical, and use that information to construct a better response (verbally and in e-mail) to potential clients. Sales cycles will be longer.

Best of luck.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by vman4639
To the OP - I feel ya, but the negative response on this site is due to:

- Negative treatment we have all had buying a car / dealerships (undercoating, clear coat, pushy calls, that's not under warranty, etc.). To hear the "other side" complain takes some of us off-guard. You may be the best in the business, but the business is known for these issues / problems.

- I was the 16yr old (never asked for a price) who loved Porsche and BMW. I had a BMW test drive when I was 20 - I was treated like a child, like I was wasting their time. Three years later I bought a BMW from ANOTHER dealership. Have a long term view - not a quarter year view. One kind e-mail (even copy/paste) can go a long way.

- Honest question: I can buy an '06 C2S with less than 15k miles for the low 50's pretty easily (with PPI) from a private party. Dealers are about $10k more. What is the value of paying the premium to buy from a dealer? This is not a loaded question. The reality is that some people are hurting more than dealers and are looking to dump a car - what is your "value proposition" (hate that term).

I hope things work out for you - being up late worrying about your business / family / employees family is tough. My advice? Take that the responses from this site ARE typical, and use that information to construct a better response (verbally and in e-mail) to potential clients. Sales cycles will be longer.

Best of luck.
Good perspective and excellent advice. Well put.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:33 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
A new 911 is not $100K - just sayin'...

"911" is a vague specification at any rate.

I get to thinking about all these post - even @ $100K, 10% is $10K. So if a deal is even as much as +/- $2-3K and that is causing someone to lose sleep or have angst - I mean some serious angst is flying around - over buying the car, maybe it was just something better not done. At the end of the day, if that money is a huge bother - and I don't mean to say that it is unimportant, but put it in proper context of a couple of % - there's some other problem I think.

If the deal is so horrible that you will feel completely screwed, don't do it. Simple enough. If ALL deals seem that horrible, that means market demand has priced the car to a point where you won't feel good about buying it - so don't.

As for the OP, like I said before - this person has a sales job but does not understand sales and is not yet a sales professional - perhaps never will be, but if they want to be; much to learn. This post could be one of those lessons.
Actually a new 997S coupe IS $100k MSRP, assuming you're buying PDK like most 997.2's will be. I priced one out with a base color, base interior, manual seats, and ONLY the relevant options you'll pretty much need with PDK (Sport Chrono, etc.) and it hits $100k. If you want any personalization, optional color exterior or interior, NAV, etc you're over $100k.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Actually a new 997S coupe IS $100k MSRP, assuming you're buying PDK like most 997.2's will be. I priced one out with a base color, base interior, manual seats, and ONLY the relevant options you'll pretty much need with PDK (Sport Chrono, etc.) and it hits $100k. If you want any personalization, optional color exterior or interior, NAV, etc you're over $100k.
So, gt68, give me your best price on that!

Sorry, I just could not resist.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CBnAT
So, gt68, give me your best price on that!
HA!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Not to point to anyone in particular and not saying that they are false. But why are there so many new users with under 20 posts posting to this thread?

Just putting it out there.

Opps looks like one was already banned too.
Great point. Cloak & Dagger was banned after a mere 6 posts. That must be some kind of record. And I believe it was for saying things like this, which made my head hurt....:

To get a person who as a degree to admit that a person, let alone any person (in this case a sales person) w/o a degree can, will and does earn more than the person w/o a degree; is in their minds eye, to say their degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
Great point. Cloak & Dagger was banned after a mere 6 posts. That must be some kind of record. And I believe it was for saying things like this, which made my head hurt....:

Kinda like the quote in my sig.....
Old 07-15-2009, 03:11 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
When I shopped there were 2009 997.2 cars in the 80s up to and well above 100. My point was, to the poster who claimed $100K was absurd and was priced out of the market, you don't have to pay $100K for a nice 911.

But that was really a tangential point.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:13 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont care what a sales person say, they ALL play games. including my friends who i buy my cars from. i dont sell cars, but i sell many other things for a living. i dont care what the mkt is, what the going price is blah blah.... i set a price for what i want to sell. i dont care of you are a buyer or not. i tell you how much i want. you dont like my price, well i see you to the door, we are friends, but we can't do business together.

what i hate the most is when someone tells me X is the best price, and after i haggle for a bit, i get X-y as the price. so what does that make me feel. if i haggled another 10 hours, i may get even lower price?

and to the sales ppl, i know your position and sometimes you get very unrealistic buyers. well, hey, be polite and show them the door....

i sell stuff on RL too. i get low ball offers. sometimes i dont get what i ask for. well, then i just put those parts in the trash and off they go to the city dump. as a sales person, you dont need to be insulted with low prices, it's ur choice, find your "type" of customer. their are ppl who will haggle you to the last penny on a $150k car, like my mom, i kid you not. she gets her way at LV, armani, or any place most ppl are embarrassed to ask for discounts. spend said 4 words (THIS IS TOO EXPENSIVE) and left, that saved me $120k on my house. then there are customers who will pay 100k over for a 50k car. they are both right, you just got to find your niche.

my sales guy isn't the cheapst and he tell me that flat out. i like that honesty. he provides convenience for me. i show up, sign few lines, my old car is gone and new car is in all less than 20 min. so find the right customer or the right sales guy for YOU.

btw, some sales only work the FIRST sale. wrong.
i buy an RS at msrp or even at discount. i sell it back to them after 10k miles in 6 months, take a 60k hit. guess how much they can sell that RS for? they must make profit 2x on the same damn car. who do you think he will sell the next RS to and at what price?
Wow, all these posts and maybe 2 or 3 like the one above that make sense.

I buy lots of cars (not as many as Mooty though!). I bought 2 last month, sold one yesterday, and will be buying another later this month.

I'm basically the guy the OP was whining about. I ask dealers what their best price is on the car I want. I tell them ahead of time that I typically do not haggle and that I will buy based on several factors including their price.

I just bought a loaded 335i coupe as a daily driver. After weeding out the local dealers that give me the bad juju vibe, I talked to 3 dealers that I like. All 3 found the same inbound car that I wanted. I asked all 3 to give me a price. One told me to come down and we'll work something out, which in my experience means we'll tag-team hard-sell you until you crumble. The other 2 offered their "best deals". I went down to the dealer that gave me the best deal and bought the car on the spot at that price.

The other dealer called me back a few days later and asked I was still interested. I told him that I already bought it. He was upset and asked why I didn't call him first and let him know so that he could offer a better deal. I told him that I made it clear that I would base my decision on his offer and another dealer had a better offer, and if he could have made a better one then he basically lied by saying it was his best offer.

I agree that the customer is NOT always right, sometimes the customer is an idiot who thinks the world owes him a favor and ethics only apply to the other guy. Having set pricing helps weed those guys out.

There are some great dealerships out there, however, car dealers, along with lawyers and politicians, built their negative reputations over many years. A large percentage of your peers are unethical, lie to our faces, and treat us like dirt as soon as the deal is done. Don't act indignant that it comes back to bite you, you earned it.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dD/dt
let me just say that Cloak and Dagger was NOT Stoppie. I called him to find out and he definately said no.

Last edited by DRJMK; 07-15-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by DRJMK
let me just say that Cloak and Dagger was NOT Stoppie. I called him to find out and he definately said no.
Definately?

<wink>

Quick Reply: Serious buyer? Prove it