Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Rage

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:44 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll throw in my 2 cents - it's possible these guys were just drunk(or high) and looking for trouble, but boxing you in like that does sound strange and maybe they were setting up for a car jacking as others have mentioned. Was there a third guy in any of the cars? If they were going to steal your car they would need someone to drive it. If they are pros they might have taken your license plate number - i imagine in this day and age its easy to track you down with that info. Don't mean to freak you out and most likely there is nothing else to it, but i'm a bit paranoid and i think it still pays to talk to the police. Most likely they are just tools and you ran into them on the wrong day, but I'd speak to the police anyway. Again, not trying to freak you out and honestly I'm not sure what else you can do, but i think its worth taking some precautionary measures.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kimf70
...The pontiac that pulled infront of my car drove on the wrong side of the two lane street, cutting infront of me. There were cars infront of me as well as coming from opposite direction. The oncoming traffic stopped to avoid a crash. Trying to out-run this guy would have been a disaster waiting to happen.
Now that you've better described the exact situation, I'm even more perplexed that you stopped. A crazy lune like that Pontiac driver was definitely not looking for a peaceful resolution. You really got off lucky.
...When in a similar situation, I would recommend driving to a local police department or to a well lit and busy parking lot. If that is not an option, use common sense.
Why didn't you do just that? It sounds like you were in a populous area, so a busy parking lot should've been easily accessible, if no police station was nearby. Yes, it's ill-advised attempting to out-run a nutcase on crowded streets/roads, but that also doesn't mean pulling over was your only option. I would've simply driven around until I've contacted a 911 dispatcher or reached a local police station.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You maintained your cool,--and as you stated, it was defused without incident. When dealing with questionable types, you have to handle them like you're in a clinic,--and they're patients. I think you know the type of clinic it is.
Yeah that's absolutely true but the only problem is, the roadside clinic the OP was running didn't have security guards!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Ucube,
What part of the sentence are you perplexed about? Read my last thread slowly.
How would you "not stop". Do you suggest perhaps, driving through the pontiac? perhaps back up into the pickup? Bottom line is that, I had a chance to play it over in my mind. Without being a monday night quaterback or a resurrected Rasputin, there is nothing that I would have done differently. Charlie, sometime crime happens despite our best efforts and measures to avoid them. Sometimes you are left with very few choices, as in this case. It is when you are left with the assailant(s), quick decisions hace to be made. Luckly, it was the correct one in this case.

Frank
Old 07-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Ucube,

What part of the sentence are you perplexed about? Read my last thread slowly.
How would you "not stop". Do you suggest perhaps, driving through the pontiac? perhaps back up into the pickup? Bottom line is that, I had a chance to play it over in my mind. Without being a monday night quaterback or a resurrected Rasputin, there is nothing that I would have done differently. Charlie, sometime crime happens despite our best efforts and measures to avoid them. Sometimes you are left with very few choices, as in this case. It is when you are left with the assailant(s), quick decisions hace to be made. Luckly, it was the correct one in this case.

Frank
The only way I could've been boxed in -- therefore forced to stop -- is if I hadn't left myself enough space with the car in front. That or he started backing into me at a stoplight with the pickup at my rear bumper. That might happen to me if I weren't paying attention to the car in front and had no reason to suspect something's awry. In your situation, the Pontiac driver clearly demonstrated his hostility and intentions by driving on the wrong side of the road, so I would've expected heightened awareness on your part. Evasive action doesn't mean reckless or fast driving. They would've had to crash into me to get me to stop, that's for sure.

No matter what, I'm just glad you were unhurt.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Ucube,

I'm sure you would have been able to avoid being boxed in. Unfortunately, I couldn't. I also can't shoot rockets out of my **** sphincter. Read my post. Enough said.

Frank
Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Frank, if you feel your course of action would yield the best possible outcome and you'll change nothing if the same situation presents itself next time, then that's all that matters. Again, the important thing is you were unharmed.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 17 Posts

Unfortunately, would have definitely also had something to do with envy as well. I'm glad it all worked out in the end for you... be safe out there.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:07 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

When and if you ARE able to shoot rockets out of your ****, please post pics.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In retrospect, I would not have changed anything I did. It turned out to be the best approach. No one was hurt, including the bystanders. For the young readers (and some old), the car chases don't end up like in the movies. Fastest car sometime don't "win". Most of times, many parties end up losing without a winner. Always try to take a path of peaceful resolution. When in a similar situation, I would recommend driving to a local police department or to a well lit and busy parking lot. If that is not an option, use common sense.

Frank
nope, you were lucky. don't confuse the two outcomes. you could just as easily ended up with severe injury.

but if you're happy, i am too. but i know i would not have reacted the same way. i've been in situations as you describe, so i know how i respond.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

When and if you ARE able to shoot rockets out of your ****, please post pics.
I was down at the lake over the weekend. Too much boating under 90 degree weather, too much vino, too much food and dehydrated. Sitting on the throne this morning, it damn felt like I was passing rockets, except in very very slow motion. I won't post pics.

Frank

Quick Reply: Road Rage