Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Rage

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009 | 02:13 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Default Road Rage

I was enjoying a great day. I got off work early. Enjoyed the day with the family and friends. I went out to pick up a few bottles of wine for an outing tomorrow. I was returning home. It was about 930 pm. Dark. I was on an interstate. I went on a 270 degree circle on-ramp. This is a horribly designed intersection. Accidents waiting to happen. Upon exiting the 270 degree circular onramp, you need to move over one lane to the left to get on to the next interstate. If you stay on the same lane, you end up getting on another 270 degree circular ramp that would get you back on the interstate you were traveling on, except in the other direction. Follow me so far? As I am exiting the ramp, there is a vehicle (traveling on the interstate that I am trying to get onto) that is slowing down as if he was wanting to come onto my lane and get onto the ramp. But he hesitates and slows down. He isn't coming onto my lane as if he is waiting for me to make the lane change onto his lane. I make a lane change onto his lane, well infront of him. I wasn't speeding. The car has about 800 miles on it and I am still breaking it in. (keeping the rev below 4200, etc) He then floors it and is almost on my rear bumper. Then another car pulls up next to me (I believe they are acquaintances). So goes the high beam, honking etc. I get off on the next exit. Both cars exit. At this time, I am thinking 'crap'. The sedan pulls infront of me and I stop. The pick up truck pulls up right upto the rear bumper. Guy barges out of the sedan infront of me. Outcomes a guy in his late 20s, white tank top, shorts and a cap. He is yelling out "you cut me off". I lower the window. He is gesturing the guy in the pick up to get out of the pickup. I take a deep breath and tell myself not to get out of the car. I tell him "I am sorry if I but you off buddy. It was not intentional". I don't know how I could have cut him off. I think he was high on something or drunk. At this point, I am concerned about the guy in the pick up truck behind me. I can't see what he is doing on the rear view mirror. I tell him that I am in an emergency and he needs to pull his car out of the way. But he won't move. I tell him again that I am sorry if I startled him. But the guy is yelling and screaming. I tell him "You guys are scaring me now and I am calling the cops. Lets have them figure things out". He rants some more and then gets back into his car and peels off. I leave the scene with my heart racing. Damn... What just happened. Be safe out there guys. What was really amazing is that he was able to peel off on his early 2000 model pontiac? and make an immediate left turn as he was peeling out without getting off the road. I give him props for keeping the car on the road.
Old 07-04-2009 | 02:21 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

There are crazy/drunk/high people out there with a lot of envy. You had both bad luck and a lot of good luck - one after the other.
Old 07-04-2009 | 03:21 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by kimf70
I was enjoying a great day. I got off work early. Enjoyed the day with the family and friends. I went out to pick up a few bottles of wine for an outing tomorrow. I was returning home. It was about 930 pm. Dark. I was on an interstate. I went on a 270 degree circle on-ramp. This is a horribly designed intersection. Accidents waiting to happen. Upon exiting the 270 degree circular onramp, you need to move over one lane to the left to get on to the next interstate. If you stay on the same lane, you end up getting on another 270 degree circular ramp that would get you back on the interstate you were traveling on, except in the other direction. Follow me so far? As I am exiting the ramp, there is a vehicle (traveling on the interstate that I am trying to get onto) that is slowing down as if he was wanting to come onto my lane and get onto the ramp. But he hesitates and slows down. He isn't coming onto my lane as if he is waiting for me to make the lane change onto his lane. I make a lane change onto his lane, well infront of him. I wasn't speeding. The car has about 800 miles on it and I am still breaking it in. (keeping the rev below 4200, etc) He then floors it and is almost on my rear bumper. Then another car pulls up next to me (I believe they are acquaintances). So goes the high beam, honking etc. I get off on the next exit. Both cars exit. At this time, I am thinking 'crap'. The sedan pulls infront of me and I stop. The pick up truck pulls up right upto the rear bumper. Guy barges out of the sedan infront of me. Outcomes a guy in his late 20s, white tank top, shorts and a cap. He is yelling out "you cut me off". I lower the window. He is gesturing the guy in the pick up to get out of the pickup. I take a deep breath and tell myself not to get out of the car. I tell him "I am sorry if I but you off buddy. It was not intentional". I don't know how I could have cut him off. I think he was high on something or drunk. At this point, I am concerned about the guy in the pick up truck behind me. I can't see what he is doing on the rear view mirror. I tell him that I am in an emergency and he needs to pull his car out of the way. But he won't move. I tell him again that I am sorry if I startled him. But the guy is yelling and screaming. I tell him "You guys are scaring me now and I am calling the cops. Lets have them figure things out". He rants some more and then gets back into his car and peels off. I leave the scene with my heart racing. Damn... What just happened. Be safe out there guys. What was really amazing is that he was able to peel off on his early 2000 model pontiac? and make an immediate left turn as he was peeling out without getting off the road. I give him props for keeping the car on the road.
scary ****. well, i have to hand it to you...you're definitely a true car guy. even in the face of total bull****, you still had the wherewithal to both notice and appreciate the drunk redneck's driving skills. good for you.
Old 07-04-2009 | 04:19 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

very scary stuff. that type of thing used to happen to me when i lived in south carolina.

if it were me, the break in period would have ended to avoid having to stop and be a potential victim...

good for you for keeping so calm
Old 07-04-2009 | 07:56 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

I live in south carolina and there are crazy drivers here. Never heard of a turn signal or slowing down when the weather is bad! The scary part for me is when at a stop light and I see a vehicle that should not be on the road, let alone in running condition. I try to leave enough room so they don't hit me. some lady ran into me in my 997.1 at a stop light. No damage, she hit the bumperette, but scary. She didn't even have her drivers' license !
Frank, I am so glad you were ok and had enough wits about you to keep calm!!!!
Old 07-04-2009 | 09:55 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

I could have tried to speed away but Just not into doing that with people without inhibition. Imagine going 120 mph+ with two drunks trying to chase you. They probably would leave a nasty trail that will be aired on the news. I think that staying in the car was the key to a peaceful ending. I can't imagine what would have happed if the guy became physically aggressive. Damn. I think Adias describes it perfectly. Bad luck followed by lots of good luck.
Old 07-04-2009 | 10:28 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Anytime someone actually follows you after a road rage incident they are way out of control, and dangerous. There is fine line between that type of idiot speeding off after some words, or doing damage to you or your property, or even killing you.
Dangerous people like that are scary. Everyone respects the gun, and it may be the only thing that saves your life in such a situation. Without a gun, I would have called 911 and told them you are in imminent danger, and provide plates. The police would have nailed those guys. Boxing you in like that adds an element that rarely happens, and you are really lucky you did not get hurt.
Old 07-04-2009 | 12:47 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

You handled it perfectly. People are f-in' insane out there. And if you confront them, they'll either beat the crap out of you or shoot you without even thinking about it. Glad you and your new 997 survived intact. Good job. Some of it may have been the Porsche you were driving, but guys are just looking for an excuse to fight. Another key is not to make eye contact. I would have gotten their plate numbers and called the cops after they left to get the drunk sons of bitches. You are one lucky guy.
Old 07-04-2009 | 02:39 PM
AP997S
Pro

There are too many yahoos and air heads on the road these days. You don't know if they're packing heat or have a bat under their seat. I learned to just stay cool and avoid confronting any idiot on the road. I used to give the bird, honk my horn or flash my lights. Now I just look for a non-confronting way to motor around those fools.

Some times you just can't avoid a confrontation. In those cases stay cool and call 911 if the situation warrants it.

Last edited by AP997S; 07-04-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-04-2009 | 02:54 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

There's no way I would have stopped, and there's no way that a ten-year-old Pontiac (short of a Trans Am) or a pickup truck would have been anywhere near your bumper.

Occasionally people will ride my bumper on the Interstate...a quick shot to 120 or so takes care of that.
Old 07-04-2009 | 03:10 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Why did you stop? And if you had not other choice why didn't you already dial 911 and have an operator on the line. Knowing that police are on the way (and they have a lic. plate number) should give anyone with half a brain cell pause before confronting you. If anyone is nutty enough to tell you to pull over (and you comply), then there is no telling what could happen next. Sorry, it's easy to make a recommendation when you're not in the moment. On the plus side, at least if it ever happens again you'll have a plan.
Old 07-04-2009 | 03:15 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by brendorenn
if it were me, the break in period would have ended to avoid having to stop and be a potential victim...

That's what I'm sayin'. Screw the break in period !!!!!

What's the use of having a supercar if you not going to use it when you need it?

Haven't you been to the movies? The Porsche's always get away!

Seriously, I think it was a mistake to stop. That's exactly what they wanted you to do so they could f--k with you. I think you got very lucky and fit the description of who's life they wanted threaten that night.

Thank God you're OK..

Phil
Old 07-04-2009 | 03:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Why did you stop? ...
Yes, why did you [OP] stop? You exit the freeway, and you should be the first car at the stop/light if there was one. Did that nut stop in front of you, beyond the stop sign? Could you have gone around? The only way the car in the front could have boxed you is if he stopped and reversed and you let him do so staying there...
Old 07-04-2009 | 04:40 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you need to hire this lady....
abe
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2009 | 07:24 PM
mjb2448
Racer

Brush up on your evasive driving techniques and get a Sig P220 Carry SAS.

Quick Reply: Road Rage