Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Rage

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:51 PM
rmccarthy1234
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget the gun. Drive defensively and always keep room in front of you when stopped in situations like this so you can depart quickly if needed.

Typically if someone is riding my bumper, I either move over to let them pass or depress the gas for 3 or 4 seconds and I leave them in the dust. Never do I give them the bird. In these recessionary times, this is all someone needs to "crack" and make an irrational decision.

Whatever you do, never get out of the car. The car is your defense as you have no idea what is motivating them to be so aggressive. Could be drugs, alchohol, craziness or worse case, they could be criminals.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Anytime someone actually follows you after a road rage incident they are way out of control, and dangerous. There is fine line between that type of idiot speeding off after some words, or doing damage to you or your property, or even killing you.
Dangerous people like that are scary. Everyone respects the gun, and it may be the only thing that saves your life in such a situation. Without a gun, I would have called 911 and told them you are in imminent danger, and provide plates. The police would have nailed those guys. Boxing you in like that adds an element that rarely happens, and you are really lucky you did not get hurt.
Big time.
I would have called 911 immediately.
People are nuts out there.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude,
That doesn't sound like road rage, that sounds like a set-up for a car-jacking.

Do yourself a favor and buy some bear spray and a Taser and learn how to use both. (unless you can get a CCW in your state)
Old 07-04-2009, 09:25 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Outfit our cars like James Bond's Astin Martin V12 Vanquish.

If anyone gives you a hard time just cut loose w/ the machine guns, employ one of usual refinements, including front-firing rockets, hood-mounted target-seeking guns, spike-producing tires, smoke screen and the passenger ejector seat in homage to the original Aston Martin DB5, but used in a clever bit of improvisation by 007 to right the car when it's been flipped onto its roof.

You can also equip your Porsche with the "adaptive camouflage" – a cloaking device that allowed it to become effectively invisible at the push of a button.

If all else fails call 911.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:14 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason I can see to stop in that situation is if you're not sure of your ability to shoot them from a moving car.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad you are ok, but next time don't stop. If you know where you are, call 911 while driving towards the nearest Police sub station. Boxing you in is very close to how car jackings happen. BE SAFE
Old 07-04-2009, 11:40 PM
edbiggie
Instructor

Originally Posted by medtech
Dude,
That doesn't sound like road rage, that sounds like a set-up for a car-jacking.

Do yourself a favor and buy some bear spray and a Taser and learn how to use both. (unless you can get a CCW in your state)
38/44/357/9mm all of these work just fine. just make sure you
get he to lean in the window!!!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:42 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

As others have pointed out, several companies make great tools for helping solve situations like this. A few of them are Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer, Colt, Glock.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kimf70
The car has about 800 miles on it and I am still breaking it in. (keeping the rev below 4200, etc) He then floors it and is almost on my rear bumper. Then another car pulls up next to me (I believe they are acquaintances). So goes the high beam, honking etc. I get off on the next exit. Both cars exit. At this time, I am thinking 'crap'. The sedan pulls infront of me and I stop. The pick up truck pulls up right upto the rear bumper. Guy barges out of the sedan infront of me. Outcomes a guy in his late 20s, white tank top, shorts and a cap. He is yelling out "you cut me off". I lower the window. He is gesturing the guy in the pick up to get out of the pickup. I take a deep breath and tell myself not to get out of the car. I tell him "I am sorry if I but you off buddy. It was not intentional". I don't know how I could have cut him off. I think he was high on something or drunk. At this point, I am concerned about the guy in the pick up truck behind me. I can't see what he is doing on the rear view mirror. I tell him that I am in an emergency and he needs to pull his car out of the way.
**** break in. You don't need to be risking your life or the lives of others in your care in that situation. If you can't outrun those ********, you deserve to be abused by them. I would have sped away from that scene and not allowed them to outmaneuver me as they did you. Simply no excuse. You have no one to blame but yourself for being in that situation. Even if you have to run red lights, do so with caution. Your best friend in that situation is a police car on the scene. But you should have never allowed yourself to be in that situation in the first place. Speed is the advantage you paid for. And if you don't take advantage of it, you have no one to blame but yourself.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richc
The only reason I can see to stop in that situation is if you're not sure of your ability to shoot them from a moving car.
That's just what I was thinking!

My advice in a situation like this is to keep driving to the nearest police station and call 911. You have 2 unknowns, in 2 cars, and you're in a brand new Porsche. Definitely don't do that next time!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:09 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Nice to have all the feedbacks.
Few points.

1. Some of you are joking about guns. I am an avid firearm supporter. I own several. They are mainly for hunting and sportsmanship. I would however never carry a gun in the car just for the purpose of "self defense". I don't want a young reader get the wrong idea from this thread that keeping a gun in the car and using it to "scare away" an idoit is a good way to protect yourself. Without proper guidance, discipline and self control, a gun can most often work against you in a time of rage (or when you are scared). I have seen too many of these cases end up with disastrous consequences.
2. Break-in period comment was to describe how I was driving leading upto the intersection. (read the thread before you comment. For those who are commenting on the misled comment.... read the original thread.) Enough said.
3. Traffic was pretty dense and I would not advice anyone to go in and out of traffic chase with a lunatic/idiot. That idiot will not likely have the common sense that you and I have. It will get both of you and the bystanders hurt or worse, dead.
If I was on a country back road with great visibility and no traffic, YES I would floor it.
And YES, we have fast cars. You don't have to remind me of that. We also have to remember that when there is traffic, you can't always go as fast as you want.
4. When I exited the interstate, i was surprised that the two vehicle exited with me. The pontiac that pulled infront of my car drove on the wrong side of the two lane street, cutting infront of me. There were cars infront of me as well as coming from opposite direction. The oncoming traffic stopped to avoid a crash. Trying to out-run this guy would have been a disaster waiting to happen.

In retrospect, I would not have changed anything I did. It turned out to be the best approach. No one was hurt, including the bystanders. For the young readers (and some old), the car chases don't end up like in the movies. Fastest car sometime don't "win". Most of times, many parties end up losing without a winner. Always try to take a path of peaceful resolution. When in a similar situation, I would recommend driving to a local police department or to a well lit and busy parking lot. If that is not an option, use common sense.

Frank
Old 07-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

You maintained your cool,--and as you stated, it was defused without incident. When dealing with questionable types, you have to handle them like you're in a clinic,--and they're patients. I think you know the type of clinic it is.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:42 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 537 Posts

Depends on the state you live in. Here in NY, if you used a (legal) gun to defend yourself against road rage, you would go to jail for sure, unless the other driver was shooting at you first.

In other states, its an option:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/lo...5_iIjsNvw.cspx
Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by kimf70
Nice to have all the feedbacks.
Few points.

1. Some of you are joking about guns. I am an avid firearm supporter. I own several. They are mainly for hunting and sportsmanship. I would however never carry a gun in the car just for the purpose of "self defense". I don't want a young reader get the wrong idea from this thread that keeping a gun in the car and using it to "scare away" an idoit is a good way to protect yourself. Without proper guidance, discipline and self control, a gun can most often work against you in a time of rage (or when you are scared). I have seen too many of these cases end up with disastrous consequences.
Wow, I am truly impressed. While I am not a gun fan, I just found your statement to be palatable. I wish other gun fans here could make such responsible comments.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Wow, I am truly impressed. While I am not a gun fan, I just found your statement to be palatable. I wish other gun fans here could make such responsible comments.
+1

The problem with resorting to a firearm is that you can't retract the bullet once it has left the chamber with blazing speed. Whatever damage it does or life it takes can never be recalled. The damage is done. Anger meets reality. And you must live with the devastating result for the rest of your life, and often the rest of the lives of your family and the family of the one whose life was forever changed as a result of the hit, or snuffed out as a result of the hit.

Quick Reply: Road Rage