Sponsored by:

Is the 6 speed really as good as PDK

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 PM
jk335
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 6 speed really as good as PDK

I'm a 6 speed manual owner. I found a nicely optioned 997.2 and bought it last month. So far the build fit, and materals and overall experience has been great. But the shifting is not what I thought it would be.

600 miles on the odo and I wonder if I should have gone PDK route. From what i hear it's a true stick in the sense that it shifts gears with little to no throttle delay. And on the track it's more effcient than the stick shift.

Could my stick shift be defective or not broken in? I find I can't make the same quick shifts I used to in my previous cars. I am always trying to balance and make the shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd smooth. I have been drivign standard since 1997. I am obsessed with manual shift cars. I thought Porsche would have been the pinnacle. Am I not giving this car enough time to break in? I've seeked the advice from a few good members who say give her a chance to break in. After 2000 miles does she loosen up? Can i have service lub the clutch? Or does it smooth out over time?

Should I just enjoy and in three years time upgrade to PDK? I love Porsche, and this brand, but is there more to this shift linkage that I need to get used to?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Search out the heartbeat pause method, especially between 2-3. It may feel slower, but it is the fastest method and removes the notchiness and ensures you get the right gear. Also let the natural springing of the lever be your guide.. it can prevent you from getting lost.... in the natural position, straight up and down is 3-4. Can help on spirited downshifts if you lose your place and prevent a "money" shift.

A 911 will never feel like a "snick, snick" box.

I am a diehard 6 speed guy; and I bought a PDK. That said, I don't think you made a mistake, there is no wrong answer and the compromises are very marginal. How you intend to use the car could be the deciding factor!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about 997.2, but while I was shopping, I test drove some used 997.1 and they were extremely easy to shift. I have about 800 miles on mine and it hasn't gotten to that easy yet, so I am guessing it's still being broken in.

The sports shifter option could also make a difference...
Old 06-30-2009, 06:40 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

JK335

I purchased a 997.2 CS 6 speed. I have also debated between a PDK and a 6 speed for a long period of time. After much time spent on internet searches and test drives, I have decided to purchase a 6 speed for the following reasons.
1. I enjoy the actual motion of my feet and arms engaged in driving the car. For me, there is nothing that can replace the actual grunt of shifting the gears on your own. Today's drivers demand the best. We want the fastest, most intuitive, most convenient and reliable piece of machinery. but there is nothing like the classic manual. That might be why my favorite watches are manual wound. It is a chore. I have to wind it regularly. I can leave it in the orbital machine or wear an automatic. But I choose to wind my favorite watch every morning by hand.
2. PDK shifts faster than the 6 speed. I would have chosen the PDK car, if I track my car for a living. I don't. Few seconds off the lap means alot to me. However, actual experience of manual shifting and getting it just right means more to me. If I want a dual clutch track monster, i would have gone with the Nissan GTR.
3. Lastly, my wife knows how to drive a manual. There is nothing sexier than seeing her kick off her Louboutins and rev out from the parking lot. She can heel and toe. It will embarrase some of the best of us on track.

JK.. the manual on the 997 will not be smooth as the BMWs, Acuras, etc. That being said, if you feel that it is defective, you should definitely have a local dealer look at it. It is firmer than the other imports but should not feel like it is defective. Are you being hesitant on the shift? If you are tentative and catching the shift at downgoing rev, it may feel jerky and knotchy.

Good luck

Frank
Old 06-30-2009, 06:44 PM
rsdarcan
Advanced

If your car doesn't have the sport sifter you might want to consider that. I had one installed on my Cayman S it it really improved the shifting. I now have a 997.2 C4S PDK. I don't think anyone can shift as fast though!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:04 PM
jk335
Instructor

All wonderful posts. I too drove a 997.1 with 2000 miles and it felt smoother.

I am goign to try the methods everyone just spoke about. Actually on my way out the door. So I will keep everyone's thoughts in mind as I drive her home.

Heart beat method is interesting. I will look into that a bit more. I know there is a trick to get this right.

And I do not think it's defective, only not as smooth as the old BMW I turned in. I need to deal with the fact its not a snick snick manual... But it is a good one, believe me i have driven soem winners. THis is good product, only really different.

The clutch might also be the reason... I need to work on the take... This is a lower take than BMW.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Porsche's 6-speed trannies are the best in the business. They are all business precise. They do not however feel as smooth as some BMWs, but that is all on the gear interface, and that has nothing to do with gear shifting efficiency/precision. They should not be shifted as in 'power-shifting'. They do need a subtle delay between gears. Like anything,practice (using proper execution) makes perfect.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I have driven the PDK's and they are pretty nice. If they prove that they are reliable that's the way I'll go next time.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jk335
Is the 6 speed really as good as PDK?
Your premise is flawed.

You're making unwarranted assumptions about an automatic transmission that, according to marketing hype, is supposed to be an improvement over the tiptronic; but according to documented experiences is still far from refinement in its current development stage.

A more reasonable question to be asking would be, "Is the PDK as good as the 6-speed manual?" And you'd likely get a resounding "no" from the majority here.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 PM
ds2k1
Racer

I'm on my 3rd Porsche manual...they have all been divine and the best I've ever experienced. Stick with it and prepare to be rewarded.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:45 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Joe,

I know you waited and looked a long time for a 6 speed! Didn't you buy a Boxster s 6 speed and took it back looking for a 911 because you second quessed yourself???? I would assume the clutch is fairly stiff until it is broken in. Can't compare because I bought a PDK. Enjoy yourself, enjoy the car and the Porsche experience, there is no substitute....

Jen

PS When are you going to pics of this car so we can all see it!!!!!!

Last edited by DRJMK; 06-30-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2009, 09:33 PM
JmanCLS55
Instructor

Originally Posted by kimf70
JK335

I purchased a 997.2 CS 6 speed. I have also debated between a PDK and a 6 speed for a long period of time. After much time spent on internet searches and test drives, I have decided to purchase a 6 speed for the following reasons.
1. I enjoy the actual motion of my feet and arms engaged in driving the car. For me, there is nothing that can replace the actual grunt of shifting the gears on your own. Today's drivers demand the best. We want the fastest, most intuitive, most convenient and reliable piece of machinery. but there is nothing like the classic manual. That might be why my favorite watches are manual wound. It is a chore. I have to wind it regularly. I can leave it in the orbital machine or wear an automatic. But I choose to wind my favorite watch every morning by hand.
2. PDK shifts faster than the 6 speed. I would have chosen the PDK car, if I track my car for a living. I don't. Few seconds off the lap means alot to me. However, actual experience of manual shifting and getting it just right means more to me. If I want a dual clutch track monster, i would have gone with the Nissan GTR.
3. Lastly, my wife knows how to drive a manual. There is nothing sexier than seeing her kick off her Louboutins and rev out from the parking lot. She can heel and toe. It will embarrase some of the best of us on track.

JK.. the manual on the 997 will not be smooth as the BMWs, Acuras, etc. That being said, if you feel that it is defective, you should definitely have a local dealer look at it. It is firmer than the other imports but should not feel like it is defective. Are you being hesitant on the shift? If you are tentative and catching the shift at downgoing rev, it may feel jerky and knotchy.

Good luck

Frank
Well said Frank. I can totally relate to you.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:18 AM
q2bruiser
Rennlist Member

I came out of an 08 M3 and in my opinion the 997 6spd is a better shifting transmission. The M 1-2 transition was not smooth, for me. That being said I have not master rev matching just yet. Still working on it ... only 500 miles.

JKH
Old 07-01-2009, 02:01 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it depends on what you are used to - after 20+ year of shifting BMWs, I could fall back into that like it was an old shoe within no time. The last 6spd e60 M5 I drove, even after a few years with only SMG driving, instantly was like going home.

I need some time on a 6spd Porsche - I hope I'll occasionally get one as a loaner when I'm in for service - even a boxster would be a treat. Variety is supposed to be the spice of life. So much spice, so little time.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:02 AM
westlaker
Instructor

My 6 speed is like butta. Best I've ever driven.

Quick Reply: Is the 6 speed really as good as PDK