Sponsored by:

Is the 6 speed really as good as PDK

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
The shifting in both of my old Honda S2000's was better by a clear margin.
there is no gearbox i've ever used that was as precise, notched but not too much, or simply easier to execute any up or down shift you desire than an S 2000.

they simply made a better one than anyone!

oh, i know the car was otherwise quirky. but mainly in a good, fun way. if i had to really slim down financially, i'd be hard-pressed not to go get another. they handled extraordinarily well too...
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 PM
jjprusk
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Is the 6 speed really as good as PDK

Originally Posted by DRJMK
drving the pdk, to me,is just as engaging, however, my left foot is bored! But, it is silky smooth, the PDK plus is awesome and I wouldn't change a thing! Basically, it comes down to each his/her own. After all is said and done, it is a Porsche, there is no substitute....!
Your left foot is for braking... Both of my feet are very busy in a turn.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
jk335
Instructor

Update:
After going to the dealer, and driving a new 997.2 and my own car, we have come to some conclusions.

1. The clutch effort on my car is much greater than the other two cars I have driven. My dealer told me that while the two are different, there isn’t anything they can do to change the feel of the clutch. It’s a much heavier feel on my clutch, than the other cars. I think this is one of the reasons my shifting is so clumsy. It’s such an effort to shift, that sometimes when not fully depressed I experience some resistance. Having driven stick for 15 years, I realize now it’s not me, it’s the car.

2. The transmission. TECH tells me it’s not broken. BUT… it’s considerably notchier than the other car’s I drove. The dealer and service have advised for me to give the car until 2500 miles and see if things smooth out. The told me to drive the hell out of it. To see if it loosens up.

This was on Tuesday. I have been driving the car very aggressively to see if over time this gearbox can break in. To be honest, I am not satisfied yet, and having driven the other two cars it leaves me with the impression that this particular build is just not right. But I am biding my time until I can re-evaluate in 1000 miles, to see if there are any changes. But I already realize such hard clutch action combined with this very notchy example of a stick shift is why I am not enjoying the drive as much as I should.

Is there anything else I can do besides be patient and hope things get better? I am not “***** footing” the car, and driving it like I mean it so if there is a chance for this to get better, I am doing the work. I also question how long this stick shift will last if it already makes loud booms and it’s “normal”. It will be hard to get Porsche to switch out a clutch if it’s functional. My girlfriend has an incredible hard time shifting the car too (she’s drive standard since she was 16 and is great at it). My other option is just to look for another car and trade out of lease. And get BURNED. But I really love this 911 and the whole experience… Advice would be appreciated. If you just think I am complaining, well hell yes I am, this is supposed to be a scalpel driving experience, and it’s not perfection for me yet!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Since you don't 'own' the car you merely move on when your lease is up.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:28 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Since you don't 'own' the car you merely move on when your lease is up.
I wonder if there is a way to sound proof the transmission so this thunk is less loud?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by jk335
I wonder if there is a way to sound proof the transmission so this thunk is less loud?
I test drove a manual 997.2 (50 miles on the clock) recently and both the clutch and gear shifting were precise. The clutch was not heavy. You should have your car serviced. If this dealer does not do it, take it elsewhere.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:38 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
I test drove a manual 997.2 (50 miles on the clock) recently and both the clutch and gear shifting were precise. The clutch was not heavy. You should have your car serviced. If this dealer does not do it, take it elsewhere.
Maybe I'll have my local dealer check it out...
Old 07-17-2009, 03:29 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Maybe I'll have my local dealer check it out...
Absolutely. I'd right a strongly worded message to PCNA as well and try to get them on your side. I've done that before with good results.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Update:
After going to the dealer, and driving a new 997.2 and my own car, we have come to some conclusions.

1. The clutch effort on my car is much greater than the other two cars I have driven. My dealer told me that while the two are different, there isn’t anything they can do to change the feel of the clutch. It’s a much heavier feel on my clutch, than the other cars. I think this is one of the reasons my shifting is so clumsy. It’s such an effort to shift, that sometimes when not fully depressed I experience some resistance. Having driven stick for 15 years, I realize now it’s not me, it’s the car.

2. The transmission. TECH tells me it’s not broken. BUT… it’s considerably notchier than the other car’s I drove. The dealer and service have advised for me to give the car until 2500 miles and see if things smooth out. The told me to drive the hell out of it. To see if it loosens up.

This was on Tuesday. I have been driving the car very aggressively to see if over time this gearbox can break in. To be honest, I am not satisfied yet, and having driven the other two cars it leaves me with the impression that this particular build is just not right. But I am biding my time until I can re-evaluate in 1000 miles, to see if there are any changes. But I already realize such hard clutch action combined with this very notchy example of a stick shift is why I am not enjoying the drive as much as I should.

Is there anything else I can do besides be patient and hope things get better? I am not “***** footing” the car, and driving it like I mean it so if there is a chance for this to get better, I am doing the work. I also question how long this stick shift will last if it already makes loud booms and it’s “normal”. It will be hard to get Porsche to switch out a clutch if it’s functional. My girlfriend has an incredible hard time shifting the car too (she’s drive standard since she was 16 and is great at it). My other option is just to look for another car and trade out of lease. And get BURNED. But I really love this 911 and the whole experience… Advice would be appreciated. If you just think I am complaining, well hell yes I am, this is supposed to be a scalpel driving experience, and it’s not perfection for me yet!
I'd complain - sounds like total bummer. Get an awesome car and it "not" be awesome - expensive and frustrating. Never heard a shifter "BOOM" - that just seems all wrong.

Time to get some second service opinions I think.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

my pdk is great. if i lived somewhere w/o traffic i would return to stick
Old 07-20-2009, 12:49 AM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by allegretto
there is no gearbox i've ever used that was as precise, notched but not too much, or simply easier to execute any up or down shift you desire than an S 2000.

they simply made a better one than anyone!

oh, i know the car was otherwise quirky. but mainly in a good, fun way. if i had to really slim down financially, i'd be hard-pressed not to go get another. they handled extraordinarily well too...
+1 S2000 box is the best shifting street car box I've shifted. ( I've had 2.) The gt3rs box didn't shift smoothly from 2 to 3 (esp under load). The 996tt was smoother than the rs but still not as quick and positive as the S2000. I've not driven a car that shifted better than an S2K that didn't have a dog box.

That said, the point is moot for me. I've taken a giant swig of the PDK kool aid and I'm loving it.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by watt
my pdk is great.....
Mine is better!
Just kidding around, but the PDK is really something to behold!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I edited this because Ben HAS driven a PDK and has done a writeup
his opinions are his and thats cool.
PDK is a cool tranny by me.

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-20-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Wasnt thinking

Quick Reply: Is the 6 speed really as good as PDK