Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 6 speed really as good as PDK

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,871 Likes on 1,512 Posts

JK - I'm into my second 997. Both manuals.

The first was an 08 997.1 C2 which had a stiff gearshift that never loosened up. At 6,000 miles I asked Porsche to take a look and they decided a new gearbox was needed. It became really hard to change 1-2when cold.

The current car is a 997.2 C2S and it's much much better. Still not as as good as my 1973 Alfa GTV (which is seriously the best change you could imagine, lousy 2nd gear synchro notwithstanding) and not as good as many japanese cars. Have you driven a Miata / MX-5?

But, I also borrowed a demo 997.2 C2S with 3000 miles for 48 hours and that was better again. So I'm thinking once my new car breaks in it will be good. It only has 600km (whats that - 350 miles?) on it so far.

So have patience and I think you'll find it'll be fine.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:07 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As I mentioned in my emails, you have to give both your car and yourself more time in the seat. The car overall loosens up and after you have 2k break-in miles on the odometer and can finally consciously and subconsciously drive the car without any limitations, then see. The last thing you want to do is change to the sport shifter - it's even notchier. Patience...

Also, to put your mind to ease, go for an extended test drive in a PDK. I think you'll find that it's a fantastic automatic. Yes, you can click the button or even move the shifter lever, but why bother. The computer is so good at downshifting when you would want to, and perfectly matches revs. And the shifts are buttery smooth that it's like you are driving a CVT. But it takes out the human factor - you doing that work to get the shifts just right. If what you are really after is just getting in the car and going and not having to think about shifting, then the PDK is a great thing. But if you want to be the one deciding when and how things are done in your car, then give yourself more time with this brand new not-yet-broken-in car.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
I am a diehard 6 speed guy; and I bought a PDK. That said, I don't think you made a mistake, there is no wrong answer and the compromises are very marginal. How you intend to use the car could be the deciding factor!
I suggest that your purchase of a PDK indicates you are not a "die hard 6 speed guy". A die hard 6 speed guy buys a 6 speed.

Agree with rest of post though.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 AM
skay
Rennlist Member

well put RonCT.

I have a sport shifter in an '07 C4S, which is stiff as hell when the car's cold, but starts to loosen us as the oils warm up. Try giving it a few revs while shifting, that'll help a lot.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

I think the 6 speed gearbox in the 997s (mine is a .l) is the best of the numerous stick shift cars I have owned incl 5 BMWs. It may not be the perceived "smoothest" but it is has the best mechanicallly precise feel and excellent clutch action. It does get hung up going into first occasionally ..annoying but that's about all. Its also a bit stiff when cold so I dbl. clutch upshift till it warms up completely.

Break your car in a bit more and get "at one" with your gearbox. BMWs are smooth shifting but so are Hondas, Acuras, etc. When you have more time with your Porsche, you will love its gearbox/clutch.

PDK..have not driven it. I am sure its great but not for me at this point in my sports car.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, it sounds to me like you're trying to "power shift" your car. Slamming gears isn't what these cars are made for, and shifting faster than the next guy doesn't make you a better driver. Be smooth and deliberate with your shifts, you're not fighting for position at LeMans.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
I suggest that your purchase of a PDK indicates you are not a "die hard 6 speed guy". A die hard 6 speed guy buys a 6 speed.

Agree with rest of post though.
Actually I am a "die hard", however, the PDK is so good that I compromised my extreme bias. This, so that my wife would drive the car more (even though she is competent with a 6 speed and can heel and toe) and share my enjoyment of Porsches. She is more of an around town driver than me, and the PDK suits her habits and would add to the frequency of driving. As reference point, she has done the Master's driving program.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:01 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I was a die hard 6 speed guy and I hated the Tips. But this new PDK is just amazing. My problem is that I am also a techie. As an engineer, i love any new technology I think is worth having. The PDK is that.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by ds2k1
I'm on my 3rd Porsche manual...they have all been divine and the best I've ever experienced. Stick with it and prepare to be rewarded.
I hear ya brotha. I need to clock in the time and miles and maybe the clutch and transmission will open up a bit...
Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie57
JK - I'm into my second 997. Both manuals.

The first was an 08 997.1 C2 which had a stiff gearshift that never loosened up. At 6,000 miles I asked Porsche to take a look and they decided a new gearbox was needed. It became really hard to change 1-2when cold.

The current car is a 997.2 C2S and it's much much better. Still not as as good as my 1973 Alfa GTV (which is seriously the best change you could imagine, lousy 2nd gear synchro notwithstanding) and not as good as many japanese cars. Have you driven a Miata / MX-5?

But, I also borrowed a demo 997.2 C2S with 3000 miles for 48 hours and that was better again. So I'm thinking once my new car breaks in it will be good. It only has 600km (whats that - 350 miles?) on it so far.

So have patience and I think you'll find it'll be fine.
I think a lot of people might be right, 3000 miles on the ticker and the beast might shift even smoother... I'm keeping the faith.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by RonCT
As I mentioned in my emails, you have to give both your car and yourself more time in the seat. The car overall loosens up and after you have 2k break-in miles on the odometer and can finally consciously and subconsciously drive the car without any limitations, then see. The last thing you want to do is change to the sport shifter - it's even notchier. Patience...

Also, to put your mind to ease, go for an extended test drive in a PDK. I think you'll find that it's a fantastic automatic. Yes, you can click the button or even move the shifter lever, but why bother. The computer is so good at downshifting when you would want to, and perfectly matches revs. And the shifts are buttery smooth that it's like you are driving a CVT. But it takes out the human factor - you doing that work to get the shifts just right. If what you are really after is just getting in the car and going and not having to think about shifting, then the PDK is a great thing. But if you want to be the one deciding when and how things are done in your car, then give yourself more time with this brand new not-yet-broken-in car.
Ron, I think you are right. I visited the dealer today to upgrade my tail lights (they were foggy ) and what a great experience there. The techs and service advisors know what they are talking about and are competient. They agreed with the advice you and the forum have given me.

I think once she is broken in, I will re evaluate at 2000 mile and see where I stand. The car has 700 miles now, and maybe she is loosening up? I am confident that this machine is being broken in the right way, so now it's jsut time and experience. And i do not mind learning techniques to make me a better drive. The car gets so many looks, and compliments, it's a shame I have this one hang up. But maybe its okay too. because it will force me to really get to know the gearbox. And understand the car even better. So i am looking at this as a positive after the dealership experience today. They build em this way for a reason... I need to find out why and drive it to the max once i can.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Porsche's 6-speed trannies are the best in the business.
The factory SSK equipped 6 speed MT in my 2008 C2S is very good but I don't agree that Porsche's manual gearboxes are the best in the business. The shifting in both of my old Honda S2000's was better by a clear margin. The clutch is a different story, but the shifting was better.

Is the 6 speed as good as the PDK? My answer is yes and no.

The PDK is an amazing gearbox and I'm certain that 99.9% of drivers would be quicker around 99.9% of tracks in a similarly equipped car with a PDK than they would with a standard tranny. And I'm also certain that the PDK is a much better "daily driver" transmission.

But to some, myself included, it's just not the end all be all that it is to others. There's something visceral about the skill, effort, and practice inherent in a properly executed up shift or heel/toe downshift that the PDK will never be able to replicate.

I'm not Lewis Hamilton and I never will be. So I'll continue to trade the incremental pico second in acceleration and hypothetical track time for the joy of actually driving the car myself.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^ +1,

except that in stop and go traffic, or around town, that "pleasure" is denied you!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jk335
Ron, I think you are right. I visited the dealer today to upgrade my tail lights (they were foggy ) and what a great experience there. The techs and service advisors know what they are talking about and are competient. They agreed with the advice you and the forum have given me.

I think once she is broken in, I will re evaluate at 2000 mile and see where I stand. The car has 700 miles now, and maybe she is loosening up? I am confident that this machine is being broken in the right way, so now it's jsut time and experience. And i do not mind learning techniques to make me a better drive. The car gets so many looks, and compliments, it's a shame I have this one hang up. But maybe its okay too. because it will force me to really get to know the gearbox. And understand the car even better. So i am looking at this as a positive after the dealership experience today. They build em this way for a reason... I need to find out why and drive it to the max once i can.
I'm not sure about those expectations... I've driven brand new 911 gearboxes and they were fine. The 1st/2nd cogs may soften a bit but not much. I suspect you are the one that needs to adapt... I may be wrong of course.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
The factory SSK equipped 6 speed MT in my 2008 C2S is very good but I don't agree that Porsche's manual gearboxes are the best in the business. The shifting in both of my old Honda S2000's was better by a clear margin.
Softness and precision from a human interface perspective does not mean a tranny is better than another in my view. To me a good tranny is one whose shifts are positive/solid and well determined - Porsche's ZF or Aisin are. Smooth as better shifts a la BMW or Honda are not what I'm after.

Re. manual shifting delays... you are off by about 11 orders of magnitude. As a minimum you are slower on the order of 100s of ms, a galactic distance to picoseconds.

Quick Reply: Is the 6 speed really as good as PDK