Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st 1K miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009 | 04:02 AM
SY-997
Instructor

Default 1st 1K miles

I took the day off today, and broke 1K miles on the odometer in exactly 1 month. I drove Hwy 17 over the Santa Cruz Mtns, headed up Hwy 1 along the coast and then drove Hwy 84 back into Silicon Valley. Twisties, long straightaways in light coastal fog and undulating hills with no traffic - a great drive.

I'm getting used to the feel of the car. The PDK has figured out that I generally drive gently when in traffic, but once I'm alone its easy to switch to manual and control the upshifts to maximize acceleration yet still stay below 4200 RPM. The balance when cornering with PASM on Sport is rock solid - much more planted than I felt in my base 996. The steering feedback is great. The brakes grabbed perfectly before diving into downhill corners.

I guess I'm getting old, because I also enjoyed the creature comforts. While along the coast(59 deg), I had the seat & steering wheel heaters on. Back in the Valley (82 deg), I turned on the seat ventilation. I hadn't planned on getting the ventilation or steering wheel heating, but they were already optioned, in addition to dynamic lights and XM. Other than those 4 options, I had wanted all the other options - SC+, power seats, UA, BT, Nav.

My cumulative mpg is 20.5. The oil level is still at the top bar. All other fluids seem fine.

All in all, a great ride.
Old 06-27-2009 | 05:16 AM
hlee1169
Pro

I loved ventilated seats, was not planning to get them, but they came with the car I picked, and I am glad I have them. Still evaluating XM to see if it's a keeper...

Check your oil on level surface, I think the DFI does burn oil, but the electronic dipstick is not that reliable.
Old 06-27-2009 | 10:29 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

ventilated seats in a sports car....what is the world coming too...

j/k

sounds great...all the best and thanks for the update
Old 06-27-2009 | 02:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Sounds great. Not to put a dampener on your good vibes but you should...

Originally Posted by SY-997
I took the day off today, and broke 1K miles on the odometer in exactly 1 month. I drove Hwy 17 over the Santa Cruz Mtns, headed up Hwy 1 along the coast and then drove Hwy 84 back into Silicon Valley. Twisties, long straightaways in light coastal fog and undulating hills with no traffic - a great drive.

I'm getting used to the feel of the car. The PDK has figured out that I generally drive gently when in traffic, but once I'm alone its easy to switch to manual and control the upshifts to maximize acceleration yet still stay below 4200 RPM. The balance when cornering with PASM on Sport is rock solid - much more planted than I felt in my base 996. The steering feedback is great. The brakes grabbed perfectly before diving into downhill corners.

I guess I'm getting old, because I also enjoyed the creature comforts. While along the coast(59 deg), I had the seat & steering wheel heaters on. Back in the Valley (82 deg), I turned on the seat ventilation. I hadn't planned on getting the ventilation or steering wheel heating, but they were already optioned, in addition to dynamic lights and XM. Other than those 4 options, I had wanted all the other options - SC+, power seats, UA, BT, Nav.

My cumulative mpg is 20.5. The oil level is still at the top bar. All other fluids seem fine.

consider an oil/filter service.

New engines full of trash and shed metal debris like GM sheds workers.

I bought a new 08 Cayman S and did oil/filter change at 750 miles and oil out of filter housing was just full of fine metal particles. Granted small very fine, and of course on dirty side of filter which means filter doing its job, but felt good getting dirty oil/filter out and fresh oil with new oil filter back in.

Have pics that show the metal in the oil. Can post if you want.

Did another change at 1350 miles and oil almost free of any signs of metal particles. So light did not bother to photograph cause not good enough photographer to overcome the very light presence of metal particles in oil.

Then believe it or not did another oil service -- had dealer do it -- at 2000 miles at end of break in period.

(Unfortunately, Cayman S destroyed in accident day after dealer oil/filter service. But replaced car with a pristine 03 Turbo with just 9400 miles. And just days after purchase treated it to an oil/filter service at 10K miles even though oil changed last Oct. though I do not know mileage at oil change.)

Early oil changes remove oil that will have a heavy load of metal particles, fuel and water contamination from a new engine and its less than perfect ring seal (which of course gets better during break in phase) and this helps reduce bad wear during break in phase.

My 02 Boxster treated to early oil/filter services and 5000 mile oil/filter services since and has over 222K miles on original engine and engine runs as good as ever.

Just a thought...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-27-2009 | 06:25 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
ventilated seats in a sports car....what is the world coming too...

j/k
Global warming maybe? OK, maybe not, who knows, but today in ATL at 95F - vented seats are a gift from God. Otherwise I don't think the AC would ever catch up. And that AC working overtime is loud - drowning out my iPod -

I know, AC in a sports car...iPods...XM...
Old 06-27-2009 | 06:31 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hlee1169
I loved ventilated seats, was not planning to get them, but they came with the car I picked, and I am glad I have them. Still evaluating XM to see if it's a keeper...

Check your oil on level surface, I think the DFI does burn oil, but the electronic dipstick is not that reliable.
XM is a mixed bag to me. I don't like the munged up sound of it - they put 10 lbs of audio into a 1 lb sack. But I do like the traffic and weather info and the traffic data on the NAV Map is nice too, so I'll probably keep it. It's gotten me around too many bad traffic jams to give it up. If I were in a town with no traffic data, I'd let it go.
Old 06-27-2009 | 06:35 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SY-997

That's a great drive even in a mediocre rental car - - would be deluxe to do it in a 911.

Some of the most beautiful parts of the country I have ever seen - some of the most beautiful parts of the world, really.

Lucky you.
Old 06-27-2009 | 08:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevepow
That's a great drive even in a mediocre rental car - - would be deluxe to do it in a 911.

Some of the most beautiful parts of the country I have ever seen - some of the most beautiful parts of the world, really.

Lucky you.
Indeed! And those aren't even the best 911 roads around here.
Old 06-27-2009 | 08:51 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Nice write-up, I can only dream about such sceneries down here. Also, in 100+ degrees weather with heat index in the 120s, the ventilated seats would be a God-send, believe me.

Keep driving and smiling!
Old 06-27-2009 | 10:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Visited HOT COUNTRY today. Was over 100ºF in Taft, California. Oil temps hovered around 225ºF. Then headed back home,--72ºF when I got back at 4:30 pm. I think I know why only 5000 people live in Taft.
Old 06-28-2009 | 03:41 AM
SY-997
Instructor

:-)

I'll be keeping an eye on the oil - I'd like to get a few more miles under my belt before changing it.

Adias, what other Bay Area roads would you recommend? I've done a few of Claude's (former PCA-Golden Gate Region prez) drives (http://www.carretaracing.com/porsche_roads/frame.htm).

It was HOT today. Took my family to Half Moon Bay for dinner to escape the heat, it was still 65 deg when the sun set. Supposed to be even hotter tomorrow!

-SY
Old 06-28-2009 | 04:57 AM
hlee1169
Pro

I asked my service advisor about changing oil after 2000 miles, and he said it is really not necessary, the same advice I got when I got my 2007 C2S. So...I figure they are not really try to save me a few bucks, but really think it's not necessary?
Old 06-28-2009 | 05:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I took my first filter apart after an oil and filter change at 6000 miles and found absolutely nothing inside. I think changing that stuff any earlier is a waste of time/money.
Old 06-28-2009 | 08:47 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I took my first filter apart after an oil and filter change at 6000 miles and found absolutely nothing inside. I think changing that stuff any earlier is a waste of time/money.
Agree. Lots of advice on these forums that basically state "ignore the advice of the engineers who designed (and clearly over-engineered) your car and the advice of those who service your car and do this...."

Change the oil too often...
Don't break in the engine or drivetrain...
Etc.

Honestly, I saw a 1977 911 at an IDS event, throwing that vehicle around the track and skidpad, and watching it outperform a new Audi A4, and realized that the engineers and whole design team actually have their sh*t together.
Old 06-28-2009 | 12:41 PM
mstams
Racer

I was out in Monterey last week for a technical conference and couldn't believe the weather. Highs were only in the mid 60's. Very nice!

Now I'm back to 95-100 in the humid southeast. Yuck!! You better believe ventilated seats are definitely worthwhile over here.

You guys are very lucky.

Quick Reply: 1st 1K miles