Sponsored by:

Alternate Front Plate Mounting Solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009 | 01:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Default Alternate Front Plate Mounting Solution

Several times a year the question comes up about how to avoid drilling into the paintwork on the noses of the 997/996 cars. I came up with another solution some time ago but never took any good shots of it to share herein.

If you have an X51 car or a Tiptronic car you may chose to ignore this post, as my plate placement is over that central opening. (I suspect it's not really an issue unless you live in pretty hot areas).

I began by taking the central filler panel, removed from the from bumper, and drilled four holes in the top part of it. To give myself a stout mounting point, I went with some heavy-duty stainless steel bolts. They are backed up with stainless steel fender washers to provide the necessary strength. I then put on a nut (with another wash) to make that bolt assembly fixed in its position.

With another nut and washer, I mount a simple gate hinge,--you'll have to play around with your local hardware store selection to get the right size. (If necessary I can measure that stuff if anyone is truly interested). One side of the hinge gets bolted to the assembly that is sticking down from the top of the central opening. The other end is allowed to flop around. Take and drill a small hole in that hinge making sure that you also thread it.

Paint all that stuff with flat black or semigloss Krylon.

With a standard 997 front plate backing plate (plastic), mount THAT to the hinge pieces, using a small fastener. I happened to use small allen head fasteners which recess well into the plate backing plate. Now you simply attach the plate in the usual fashion.
Attached Images    
Old 06-23-2009 | 01:46 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Very nice - much better than poking holes in the front
Old 06-23-2009 | 03:03 AM
ssit
Intermediate

Here is a pic of mine installaton based on the towing hook solution posted by others before. I found it looks OK and easily removeable. Also take no time to install.

Steven
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2009 | 03:25 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ssit
Here is a pic of mine installaton based on the towing hook solution posted by others before. I found it looks OK and easily removeable. Also take no time to install.

Steven
Which plate cover do you have?
Old 06-23-2009 | 03:54 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

or move to state that doesnt need one :-D
Old 06-23-2009 | 09:12 PM
ssit
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ADias
Which plate cover do you have?
I've got the kit, including the plate holder from stumberger_r@msn.com. In front of that just used a standard Porsche OEM plate cover.

Steven
Old 06-24-2009 | 12:26 PM
NYNick
Racer

smart solution
Old 06-25-2009 | 11:35 AM
RPMert
Advanced

Make it plumb. Use less clunky hardware by bending or welding a bracket using the vertically drilled holes. IMO, of course.
Old 06-25-2009 | 02:11 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Several times a year the question comes up about how to avoid drilling into the paintwork on the noses of the 997/996 cars. I came up with another solution some time ago but never took any good shots of it to share herein.

If you have an X51 car or a Tiptronic car you may chose to ignore this post, as my plate placement is over that central opening. (I suspect it's not really an issue unless you live in pretty hot areas).

I began by taking the central filler panel, removed from the from bumper, and drilled four holes in the top part of it. To give myself a stout mounting point, I went with some heavy-duty stainless steel bolts. They are backed up with stainless steel fender washers to provide the necessary strength. I then put on a nut (with another wash) to make that bolt assembly fixed in its position.

With another nut and washer, I mount a simple gate hinge,--you'll have to play around with your local hardware store selection to get the right size. (If necessary I can measure that stuff if anyone is truly interested). One side of the hinge gets bolted to the assembly that is sticking down from the top of the central opening. The other end is allowed to flop around. Take and drill a small hole in that hinge making sure that you also thread it.

Paint all that stuff with flat black or semigloss Krylon.

With a standard 997 front plate backing plate (plastic), mount THAT to the hinge pieces, using a small fastener. I happened to use small allen head fasteners which recess well into the plate backing plate. Now you simply attach the plate in the usual fashion.

Nice work. Looks like you could hang a door on those hinges.
Old 06-25-2009 | 03:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Actually, with the proper offset, I plan to use that design as a passive laser break-lock device. When I get my first alert on the Valentine 1 that I'm being lasered, I hit the brakes. The bottom of the plate rotates upward, and breaks lock on the laser. If they pull you over they don't see anything unusual (like a laser jammer).
Old 06-26-2009 | 12:00 PM
SeamusC4S
Rennlist Member

I leave the front plate off. When I get a fix-it ticket, I mount the plate using velcro. Once I have an officer sign off, then I remove the plate and velcro. Where I live, It's usually good for another year or so til the next ticket, sometimes longer. On my 2006 IS 350, I only got a ticket once in 3 years.

RPM
2005 Lexus SC430
2004 GMC Sierra Z71
2000 Lexus GS 400
1994 Lexus ES 300

Last edited by SeamusC4S; 06-26-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-26-2009 | 01:52 PM
RPMert
Advanced

Actually, with the proper offset, I plan to use that design as a passive laser break-lock device. When I get my first alert on the Valentine 1 that I'm being lasered, I hit the brakes. The bottom of the plate rotates upward, and breaks lock on the laser. If they pull you over they don't see anything unusual (like a laser jammer).
Sounds good in theory. Would be great if true. Problems with it are laser, of course, works at speed of light and if the laser hits your visor-mounted V1, it probably has nothing to do with the plate since the "panel" of emitted laser light which measures your speed is rather small (probably can't hit V1 AND plate).

Please inform me if wrong but, the only effective Laser countermeasure requires installing a jammer TODAY.
Old 06-27-2009 | 12:02 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

...and sadly, laser jammers are routinely illegal in many states.

I'm thinking we need to go on the offensive. Perhaps once I get RAW gear installed I can put in some Sidewinders...
Old 06-29-2009 | 11:11 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i love that one edgy - i am thinking about something similar but bolts under the valance - i like that though, it reminds me of what i did with my GTS plate - looks similar.
Old 06-29-2009 | 11:43 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

With another nut and washer, I mount a simple gate hinge,--you'll have to play around with your local hardware store selection to get the right size.
For Gods sake ... get a proper mounting bracket ... OR live dangerously and lose the front plate...

Quick Reply: Alternate Front Plate Mounting Solution