Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate Front Plate Mounting Solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 PM
davemon
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using a MiniDoMore solution on my C2S now but I really like Edgy's solution and might just go and do that or something similar. Edgy: What do you need to do to remove the center cover piece that you drilled and mounted the plate holding hardware to?

Also, on that skid plate thing you have on the bottom, can that be mounted so it would bump a tall parking divider or wall first (if only by 1/4 - 1/2 inch) before the painted surface does? I can look up the item as I know you posted the name and source somewhere but can't tell for sure from the pics.

Dave
Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by davemon
I'm using a MiniDoMore solution on my C2S now but I really like Edgy's solution and might just go and do that or something similar. Edgy: What do you need to do to remove the center cover piece that you drilled and mounted the plate holding hardware to?

Also, on that skid plate thing you have on the bottom, can that be mounted so it would bump a tall parking divider or wall first (if only by 1/4 - 1/2 inch) before the painted surface does? I can look up the item as I know you posted the name and source somewhere but can't tell for sure from the pics.

Dave
Dave--the best way to do both of those things is to dismount the front bumper. With it off you can easily pop out the center panel and go to work on it separately. For the skid plate it's best to supplement the provided hardware with a few more. Performance Products doesn't provide as many as you should have to mount it properly. I drilled a few more holes and obtained the matching hardware locally.

When I have the front plate mounted as I do, the bottom of it is my first sign that I'm about to scrap the front of the car,--a license plate frame is a cheap disposable indicator of when I get too close to the roadway in a dip. Next comes the skid plate, and then ultimately, the front air dam thing (small rubber thing along the front bottom). I'm still very careful when parking because these cars are lower than most parking lot chocks/curbs.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:06 PM
davemon
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Dave--the best way to do both of those things is to dismount the front bumper. With it off you can easily pop out the center panel and go to work on it separately. For the skid plate it's best to supplement the provided hardware with a few more. Performance Products doesn't provide as many as you should have to mount it properly. I drilled a few more holes and obtained the matching hardware locally.

When I have the front plate mounted as I do, the bottom of it is my first sign that I'm about to scrap the front of the car,--a license plate frame is a cheap disposable indicator of when I get too close to the roadway in a dip. Next comes the skid plate, and then ultimately, the front air dam thing (small rubber thing along the front bottom). I'm still very careful when parking because these cars are lower than most parking lot chocks/curbs.
Awesome. Thanks for the info as I am planning to do both or at least the Performance Products skid plate as I've owned cars this low before and lower and made a mindor mistake once that cost $400 in paint and I wish to never put new paint anywhere on this pretty car... and it isn't even as cool as your color scheme.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Check out the fastener locations, and try to emulate that when you do yours.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Alternate Front Plate Mounting Solution