Sponsored by:

Got a speeding ticket on Father's Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
Going twenty over is going with the flow in NJ.
The OP was driving at a brisk pace in the countryside, BFD.
The only problem that I see is he is doing it in the land of the Rich and Famous.
The cops have nothing to do out there but run radar traps.
+1, BFD.

I expect to see the rest of you going the speed limit in ideal driving conditions, and under the speed limit at night, in rain, etc.

You're either a hypocrite or it's sad that you own a Porsche and drive so "safely".
Old 06-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Neither. I speed most times I'm on the open road in the country or the interstate. But I also accept the consequences if I'm busted.

40mph is not out in the country.. its likely in some town at least, or a construction zone (or do they have a 40mph limit as common highway limit in NJ?)

Going that far above the 40mph limit (if the limit is properly used based on traffic engineering guidelines) is dangerous. If you get busted.. take your lump.

Its the "my wife thought the cop wasn't nice enough" comment, or the notion that somehow someone "should get a reduced fine" for this thats silly.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:23 PM
serapis
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Neither. I speed most times I'm on the open road in the country or the interstate. But I also accept the consequences if I'm busted.

40mph is not out in the country.. its likely in some town at least, or a construction zone (or do they have a 40mph limit as common highway limit in NJ?)

Going that far above the 40mph limit (if the limit is properly used based on traffic engineering guidelines) is dangerous. If you get busted.. take your lump.

Its the "my wife thought the cop wasn't nice enough" comment, or the notion that somehow someone "should get a reduced fine" for this thats silly.
Agree 100%
Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
speed enforcement can be a safety issue or a revenue generator. If its for safety i agree you're wrong and not above the law- itf its for revenue and the police intentionally "hide" and create traps I'm sorry thats wrong. I live in a town well known for its 30 mph speed limit regardless of the road- there are a few well travelled roads with no cross streets and long stretches where driving 30 is painfull unless your v1 is screaming and you see him hiding in the shrubs- sorry thats not fair!

Driving on the thruway and your well above posted limits OK thats the risk you take pushing the speed limit
speed trap is 99% for revenue generation.
when you are 5-10mph over the limit, yes, you broke the law. but unless you are doing 35 in a 25mph school zone, there is no danger. if you feel driving 75mph on fwy is a safety issue, you should really stop driving.

now if one were to cruise at 150mph on open highway, then yes, that's a safety issue and not only should a ticket be given, perhaps death penalty is warranted. but the majority of speeding tix are for those who are not posing real daner and are usually 10-15 mph over limit on the fwy.

i have no prob with getting tix. but i have a lot of issue with the BS reason some ppl use as "safety" issue. it's really about revenue generation. if they would just come out and say that, i be more than happy to pay double my fine.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok

There are two official speed limits in NJ. There is a 25mph urban one, and a 50 mph country one. In addition to this, the speed limit on highways is either 55 or 65 mph.
HOWEVER,
Local towns enact what ever speed limit laws they feel like, many posting speed limits without state approval.
Driving in this area is a task, as the speed limit on one road can vary between 25mph and 50mph, with no change other than the name of the town that the road is going through. For the life of me, there is NO WAY to determine the speed limit of a road just by looking at your surroundings or other visual clues the road gives you.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the road. It is very much country. It's basically driving through the woods, with the occasional house on the side. It is fairly curvy, and there are unfortunately way too many deer.

While the porsche can handle this road at 50-70 no problem, the average soccer mom in a 2 1/2 ton SUV is best to keep at 40.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:24 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree w/ Mooty's comment about revenue generation.. I have gotten a couple of tix for 10-15mph over. When I showed up to the court date, they basically said that the tix can go away if you make a "donation" or "we can change it to parking tickets"..

I gladly did so.. so no mark on the driving record...
Old 06-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeman
Driving Tempe Wick Rd in Mendham NJ after a lot of fun buzzing around the NJ countryside near Hackettstown and beyond...got hit by Radar. Had a V1, but he still clocked me at 67 in a 40. My 6y/o son and wife were with me. My wife was more irritated at the officer than I was. My son said, "Good thing you didn't get stopped earlier today when you were going faster?!"

The officer was not the slightest bit interested in having any discussion whatsoever. I don't think he feels guilty for giving tickets to Dad's on Father's Day...at least those driving 997s. Wish I had gotten one of those PBA cards, when I had the chance.

Saw another trap in Madison a few miles up.

-Off to court next week to plea it to a 0 point offense.

J
Why should he have any discussion, and what does Father's Day have to do with anything?

It's not a negotiation and you were driving 27 miles over the posted limit.

And your wife was irritated because the officer was doing his job? She should have been irritated that you were driving 75% faster than the posted limit.

Sorry for the rant..I am just tired of reading these "Cops are Bad" threads when this cop did nothing wrong...at all.

Last edited by Dariof; 06-30-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:26 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Get a PBA card.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:01 AM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
Going twenty over is going with the flow in NJ.
The OP was driving at a brisk pace in the countryside, BFD.
The only problem that I see is he is doing it in the land of the Rich and Famous.
The cops have nothing to do out there but run radar traps.
+1. Next time, try driving through Paterson or Newark. You can run your Porsche hard all day long while getting passed by minivans blasting hip-hop.

Good luck fighting the ticket, the 0 point reduction will cost you almost $500.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

In my opinion, going 27 mph over the limit is different in a 40mph zone than in a 65 mph zone. I drive with the flow on the interstates but in a 40 zone I stay close to the limit. You are VERY lucky!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

I just read an article, page 18 in the Star Ledger titled "Police Continue Ticketing Spree"
It describes a sting operation where a "specially trained" decoy officer stood near a crosswalk at a very busy intersection during rush hour. Every time a clot of cars (pretty much continuously at that time of day) would come he would look interested in crossing. Up the street they would pull over all of the cars and ticket them for "Failure to Yield to Pedestrians in a Crosswalk." This law has not been enforced until recently in NJ for about 50 years. Even now enforcement is very sporadic depending on how much $$ a town is short. 73 FTY tickets, $54 + 2 point were handed out between 7:15 and 9:15 am at the crosswalk at 189 Littleton rd in Parsippany and 10 more for other infractions including cell phone and document citations.
It is the revenue, two points means ~ $200 more for insurance and around $100 extra for renewing the car registration for 3 years. If you take it to court $100 fine, or more depending on your plea, with 1/2 going to the town. Bet they hope you fight it.

Last edited by fpb111; 07-02-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The end of the story...and the final post

Hi all,

Info for NJ drivers: I went to court today. The prosecuting attorney reduced the ticket to 2 points, down from 4. He would not consider changing it to a 0 point offence, even unsafe driving, as there needed to be "a justifiable reason." He added that I had no active points, and that having 2 points is not going to affect my auto insurance (true). He basically said, you can get unsafe driving if you are loaded with points and cannot risk getting more (irony, noted). So, that was that.

As expected, he was not swayed by "crucial" extenuating circumstances (e.g., it being Father's day, my civic good deeds, etc.).

So $235 later, it's all done. NBD.

A couple of comments to all of you who posted. First, I'm amazed that this actually generated so many responses-- must be a slow news period for the list.

Second, I take full responsibility for speeding, as that is what I was doing (Duhh). I was not implying that I did not deserve to get a ticket...whatever the hell that means!? I was speeding and got caught. -Wish I hadn't, but if you speed, eventually you'll get stopped, and if you don't have a PBA card or cannot talk your way out of it, you get a ticket, too. Such is life in a 997. Where is it written that the driver is supposed to like it??

Third, the road is a backroad in a somewhat rural/suburban area. The only folks who drive 40 on that road are contractors and old people. Seriously?! Now, my going 67 was too fast-- I should have kept it closer to 60, especially going over a small rise, but it's a fun road. It was not a matter of recklessness or dangerous to the community. Certainly the Judge and Attorney didn't think so...they were quite friendly to talk to. This is all about $$$.

Fourth, cops do have some discretion. This is not about "cops being bad." This guy was not nice; he could have written the ticket as going 64 if he wanted. He could have smiled once. I've been stopped over the years, and relatively speaking, this guy was not friendly.

Fifth, it's nuts to generalize this example to how my wife and I function as parents. You can say whatever you want, but puhleeze, you really have no idea about us, beyond this one very limited example.

As this is really a fairly boring topic, I've closed the post (and will probably avoid starting topics like this in the future). Have a great 4th!

J

Quick Reply: Got a speeding ticket on Father's Day