Sponsored by:

Got a speeding ticket on Father's Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got a speeding ticket on Father's Day

Driving Tempe Wick Rd in Mendham NJ after a lot of fun buzzing around the NJ countryside near Hackettstown and beyond...got hit by Radar. Had a V1, but he still clocked me at 67 in a 40. My 6y/o son and wife were with me. My wife was more irritated at the officer than I was. My son said, "Good thing you didn't get stopped earlier today when you were going faster?!"

The officer was not the slightest bit interested in having any discussion whatsoever. I don't think he feels guilty for giving tickets to Dad's on Father's Day...at least those driving 997s. Wish I had gotten one of those PBA cards, when I had the chance.

Saw another trap in Madison a few miles up.

-Off to court next week to plea it to a 0 point offense.

J
Old 06-22-2009, 04:27 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that sucks, good luck....
Old 06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in Mendham? 124?

I got pulled over for speeding in Mendham, but was let go with missing license plate ticket instead. Being nice and charming, I think helped too.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by sws1
Where in Mendham? 124?
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...122.14,,0,3.19

Right around here...you go over a little rise just beforehand. I tried to be charming...failed.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 PM
nahtnoj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about your ticket. Sounds like you have a plan to bargain it down though.

Is there a connection between the failure of your charm offensive and being a NJ resident?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:13 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lets see...you were going 67 in a 40 zone and somehow you feel that a discussion needed to take place and that your and wife were "irritated". What a wonderful lesson for your son...better lesson if the officer decided to let you off showing that some of us are above and better than the law.
I remember this happened to me when our son was five while in the car...told him daddy broke the law and deserved the ticket. I was nice to the officer, showed respect, and did not undermined him when he left...how times have changed.
sorry for your ticket....but for crying out loud you were guilty.
abe

Last edited by abe; 07-02-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 PM
fxhomie
Advanced

I'm with Abe. You were breaking the law, plain and simple, and not exactly driving close to the speed limit.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Jakeman
Instructor

Originally Posted by abe
Lets see...you were going 67 in a 40 zone and somehow you feel that a discussion needed to take place and that your and wife were "irritated". What a wonderful lesson for your son...better lesson if the officer decided to let you off showing that some of us are above and better than the law.
I remember this happened to me when our son was five while in the car...told him daddy broke the law and deserved the ticket. I was nice to the officer, showed respect, and did not undermined him when he left...how times have changed.
sorry for your ticket....but for crying out loud you were guilty.
abe
Oyy yoy yoy.

I'm not saying the ticket wasn't deserved. I was respectful to the officer. As many of us who have been stopped by police know, officers do have discretion in terms of how they handle these things. The police in my own town are very nice and flexible. My family likes them and so do I. My wife thought that this officer could have been friendlier, at least as friendly as the police in our own town. My son has been with her when she has been stopped and could tell the difference.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speed enforcement can be a safety issue or a revenue generator. If its for safety i agree you're wrong and not above the law- itf its for revenue and the police intentionally "hide" and create traps I'm sorry thats wrong. I live in a town well known for its 30 mph speed limit regardless of the road- there are a few well travelled roads with no cross streets and long stretches where driving 30 is painfull unless your v1 is screaming and you see him hiding in the shrubs- sorry thats not fair!

Driving on the thruway and your well above posted limits OK thats the risk you take pushing the speed limit
Old 06-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Going twenty over is going with the flow in NJ.
The OP was driving at a brisk pace in the countryside, BFD.
The only problem that I see is he is doing it in the land of the Rich and Famous.
The cops have nothing to do out there but run radar traps.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Fred2
Racer

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18158503/

Here is one of our Governator.
The state trooper crashed his SUV at 91 in a 65.
(no tickets ever issued)
Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeman
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...122.14,,0,3.19

Right around here...you go over a little rise just beforehand. I tried to be charming...failed.

WOW - I swear that is the exact spot I got pinged. I was heading east. Came over the rise, and boom, V1 went off. He was coming the other direction. Pulled me over 1/2 or so down the road.

Must have been my lucky day. OR, I think not having a front plate gives them an alternative source of income without messing up my insurance.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:23 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fred2
Going twenty over is going with the flow in NJ.
The OP was driving at a brisk pace in the countryside, BFD.
The only problem that I see is he is doing it in the land of the Rich and Famous.
The cops have nothing to do out there but run radar traps.
yeah..on the turnpike or parkway...

but going nearly 30 over in a 40 zone isn't going with the flow...

and its more than a brisk pace....

go to court, talk it down and pay the fine.

good luck
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

I love the self-righteousness like no one here has ever tried to fight a ticket they rightfully deserved. Perhaps 2% of the people pulled over did not commit any infraction. Or that no one here has ever driven their p-car to the limit or gone faster than the posted speed limit on non-highway areas. In fact that's probably the most fun since you have the most twisties.

Fight the ticket. Insurance prices are high enough in NJ without having points on your license. Try to get obstructing traffic which is only a $90 fine and no points. If you plead down to careless driving it's close to a $500 dollar fine and no points but you can only do that twice in a five year span.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Fred2
Racer

As noted earlier, it is all about the Benjamins.
The state wants more money from us. I would fight any ticket that puts points on my license.
For those from out of state, the issue with points is that they turn into Insurance surcharges, and that can be a huge annual bill.

Quick Reply: Got a speeding ticket on Father's Day