Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone explain the pros / cons of the LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Oscar winning, no less!!

Originally Posted by cmb13
I remember that scene! That was classic!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Rioja del 73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip differential with PSM?

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to install a LSD in a 2002 996 with PSM?

I drive hard and do tracks as well, always with the PSM off, and would love to have a slip differential if possible.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
<snip>

LOL
my wife and i just saw that scene recently.
after seeing it, she felt better about checking the LSD option box

Craig
LOL!

That's a great strategy, watch that movie with wife before ordering a new car!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Erik@GBox
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rioja del 73
Could anyone tell me if it is possible to install a LSD in a 2002 996 with PSM?

I drive hard and do tracks as well, always with the PSM off, and would love to have a slip differential if possible.
Yep there are several options for the 996 street car. The PSM will work just fine with the addition of a LSD. The shop installing the differential may have to make a slight modification to the inside of the differential carrier to clearance the LSD, but this is pretty easy and can be done with a Dremel.

Let me know if you would like some suggestions.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

It looks like there are conflicting views on LSD benefits on 997s.

For what it's worth, I know that on the Cayman/Boxter platform, adding LSD to the car improved their track time quite considerably and a Cayman S with LSD was getting right up to C2S laptimes. Not sure if that's because of mid-engine vs. rear on our cars or what not, but it sure was the consensus that LSD is essential for best handling out of Caymans!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
It (LSD) was available for the MY 99, as an option on the 996. Interesting that it was available for one year only (IIRC).
Absolutely correct. It was option P72 and was packaged with Traction Control with ABD for $1215. I had it on my '99.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:05 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
It looks like there are conflicting views on LSD benefits on 997s.

For what it's worth, I know that on the Cayman/Boxter platform, adding LSD to the car improved their track time quite considerably and a Cayman S with LSD was getting right up to C2S laptimes. Not sure if that's because of mid-engine vs. rear on our cars or what not, but it sure was the consensus that LSD is essential for best handling out of Caymans!
Yep. I know of a car that picked up 10mph exiting the Busstop at Daytona in testing back in January after they installed our LSD.

I also don't agree with the people saying that you don't need an LSD on a 997, if we're talking about track cars. Pretty much every 997 running the Continental Tire series this year is running either one of our LSDs or a Porsche one. You just don't race ANY car without an LSD. Maybe if you're just doing DE's it's optional, but for racing? There's no debate there.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Limited Slip Rear Differential Lock

This was a great thread and I learned a lot about the LSD option. Really liked the My Cousin Vinny sub-thread.

I have been looking at upgrading my daily driver '88 Targa to a 997.2 coupe. I will also use this car for DE and AX events. Since we do get snow here in CO I have been looking at C4S.

Some of the cars I see listed have the Limited Slip Rear Differential Lock option and other do not. I see how the LSD will help at the track, but will it also help driving in the snow?

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there Todd,

So your question of whether or not a LSD will help with driving in the snow is a good one.

I would have to say yes absolutely there will be a increase in overall car control in the snow with the addition of a Limited slip differential. Especially under breaking.

Give me a call if you have any questions I can help you with, we are here in Boulder as well.

Happy new year.

Erik Johnson
GBox LLC
(303) 440-8899
Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
PSM is not a substitute for LSD. LSD actually helps PSM work optimally.
BS..Just BS....

Clearly, there is a great deal of confusion between a PSM implemented "virtual" LSD, good, even GREAT for operation on slippery roadbed surfaces, and mechanically implemented Limited Slip Differentials, especially of the torque sensing type.

If your 911 has PSM or even just TC then you have a "virtual" LSD. An "LSD" whereas selective driven wheel braking is used to sustain and thereby redistribute engine torque to whatever driven wheel(s) remain with traction.

PSM's TC, Traction Control, functionality PREVENTS mechanical LSD "operation".

If either rear wheel slip/spins, losses traction, TC applies braking to just that wheel in order to sustain a high enough level of engine torue to still drive the wheel with remaining traction.

Upon detection of even the most minor level of wheelspin/slip TC's "virtual" LSD mode will activate INSTANTLY and brake the wheel having lost traction. If you have a mechanical LSD it will have no "play" in the above case.

Mechanically implemented LSD are of value in preventing wheelspin/slip, acting to pre-emptively redistribute engine torque under certain conditions.

But with wheelspin/slip and PSM active you will INSTANTLY get ABS style braking of one or both driving wheels along, also INSTANTLY, with full engine dethrottling.

Up until most recently a virtual LSD was "reserved", only of real value, for operation on slippery roadbed surfaces and the torque sensing (mechanical) for dynamic, TRACK, driving. But nowadays the braking aspect of stability control, PSM, is also being used to "BIAS" the drive torque left or right depending on the direction of the turn, surplanting, fully surplanting, the need for a mechanical torque sensing LSD.

Last edited by wwest; 01-03-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Yep. I know of a car that picked up 10mph exiting the Busstop at Daytona in testing back in January after they installed our LSD.

I also don't agree with the people saying that you don't need an LSD on a 997, if we're talking about track cars. Pretty much every 997 running the Continental Tire series this year is running either one of our LSDs or a Porsche one. You just don't race ANY car without an LSD. Maybe if you're just doing DE's it's optional, but for racing? There's no debate there.
Don't all of these cars have adjustable suspension so that camber can be optimized? This will maximize corner speed which will unweight the inside wheel (which may also lift). Hence, LSD will be beneficial. But what about a stock 997? Driven hard on the track, can the inside wheel be unweighted enough in a corner for it to spin under power? Dave

Quick Reply: Can someone explain the pros / cons of the LSD?