Sponsored by:

My PCM died on my 997.1 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyB
I had something very similar yesterday. My main screen said Amplifier error navigation not available. I could switch to the single CD and the main screen would show what track number should have been playing but no sound. When I tried the Nav system (map etc) nothing. After about 15 min of sitting there thinking -"another trip to the dealer", I started the car and Bam, everything was working-I've got my fingers crossed
Bobby - Exactly!!!!

FIY everyone I just called my local Porsche dealer an dhe said that happens and the PCM is no longer covered by the CPO. Which makes perfect sense that a warranty on an expensive German car should fry and not be covered. WTF!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
Bobby - Exactly!!!!

FIY everyone I just called my local Porsche dealer an dhe said that happens and the PCM is no longer covered by the CPO. Which makes perfect sense that a warranty on an expensive German car should fry and not be covered. WTF!
No longer covered? My dealer said that as of last year, CPO warranty now covers the PCM -of course the price of the CPO warranty was adjusted -but coverage should be there if you purchased within the last year - will have to check it out
Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The PCM (and CDR) is a standard item across the PAG lineup, by design requirement....so is the audio amplifier FWIW.

The likely cause here is the obsolete status of the PCM 2.x platform, now that PCM3.x is released for production.
Becker has stopped manufacturing them, so inventory levels are not as easy to manage for an inproduction item.
The point I'm trying to make is how difficult it would be to find a natural brown LEATHER covered one! If you think finding a basic unit is tough, imagine that!

Best of luck!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The point I'm trying to make is how difficult it would be to find a natural brown LEATHER covered one! If you think finding a basic unit is tough, imagine that!

Best of luck!
I know who's got one.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are diffrent parts for each model year, and they are for each year. Then you have the colors and options and and and. Theres no way to keep that in stock. We have had to send in custom pcms for repair and then reinstalation over replacement, (white leather wrapped orange stiching eta never )
its unfortunate, but when you buy a car built in germany, guess what parts are also coming from germany.
And you shouldnt take it out on the dealer, they would like nothing more then to put a radio in your car theres nothing they can do about it.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Verde
Advanced

I guess I would take some small exception here. The dealer is part of the Porsche business ecosystem and must be partly responsible for the good and bad of the customer experience. A good dealer can work the system all the way back to Germany - to expedite orders and repairs and heighten the likelihood of a satisfied customer. Their scale as well as their tenacity affect the probability of a timely and successful outcome and ultimately ones fate, for such repair items, lie in the hands of the folks in Germany.
I would not abuse a dealer if the timeframe for a repair seems inordinately long. But I wouldn't necessarily frequent and purchase from an ineffective one.

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
There are diffrent parts for each model year, and they are for each year. Then you have the colors and options and and and. Theres no way to keep that in stock. We have had to send in custom pcms for repair and then reinstalation over replacement, (white leather wrapped orange stiching eta never )
its unfortunate, but when you buy a car built in germany, guess what parts are also coming from germany.
And you shouldnt take it out on the dealer, they would like nothing more then to put a radio in your car theres nothing they can do about it.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Verde
I guess I would take some small exception here. The dealer is part of the Porsche business ecosystem and must be partly responsible for the good and bad of the customer experience. A good dealer can work the system all the way back to Germany - to expedite orders and repairs and heighten the likelihood of a satisfied customer. Their scale as well as their tenacity affect the probability of a timely and successful outcome and ultimately ones fate, for such repair items, lie in the hands of the folks in Germany.
I would not abuse a dealer if the timeframe for a repair seems inordinately long. But I wouldn't necessarily frequent and purchase from an ineffective one.

A good dealer..................... cannot do anything. If theres no part theres no part, no amount of complaing is going to get one. It doesnt matter which dealer or who the customer is.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had something very similar yesterday. My main screen said Amplifier error navigation not available. I could switch to the single CD and the main screen would show what track number should have been playing but no sound. When I tried the Nav system (map etc) nothing. After about 15 min of sitting there thinking -"another trip to the dealer", I started the car and Bam, everything was working-I've got my fingers crossed
What you experienced was a start up/initialization fault inside the amplfiier (the DSP failed to load it's boot code).
It is a fairly infrequent occurance and there have been S/W updates to help minimize this issue.

When it does happen, you need to shut off the car, remove the key and wait a few minutes (waiting for the MOST ring to 'go to sleep').
Then try it again and it should work.

If this does not work, the next step would be remove power (via the fuse panel) to the PCM (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR RADIO CODES FIRST), reinstall the fuse and start it up again.

Again, it's an unpredictable event and when it happens, the MOST ring is active, the MOST amplifier's microprocessor is running and passing into to/from the ring, it just has no idea the DSP has decided to not process audio, hence a MUTE condition.
Hey, it was the first MOST DSP amplifier design, you have to expect a few minor issues.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:50 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Itc -removing the key and waiting worked for me. Hopefully as you say it is an infrequent event - thanks for the info
Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Itc -removing the key and waiting worked for me. Hopefully as you say it is an infrequent event - thanks for the info
If it becomes a frequent event, then there is something else wrong.

Quick Reply: My PCM died on my 997.1 C2S