Sponsored by:

PDK Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Pushing sport or sport plus automatically sets the suspension to firm. You can cancel that by pushing the shock absorber icon, allowing sport or plus modes with a more comfortable ride.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you that is very interesting. I will go out and try tomorrow.

One question. In Sport mode, do you find the gear change down in to 1st to be very abrupt? Every other gear change up and down is incredibly smooth, except this one? Am I alone in this?

Mark.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:51 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pincomar

One question. In Sport mode, do you find the gear change down in to 1st to be very abrupt? Every other gear change up and down is incredibly smooth, except this one? Am I alone in this?

Mark.
no you are definitely not. when coming up to a stop slowly, it really "thunks" into gear.

not as bad as SMG, but still quite rude.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Not alone at all. You can finesse it by braking very lightly to a stop or, using manual. Best of all, don't stop
Old 06-20-2009, 10:42 AM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark.
Mine definitely does this as well. This is one complaint that I was hoping the new PDK update I just had applied would correct. My wife hates it because I love driving in sport mode, and unfortunately there are usually quite a few stops whenever she is in the car. The update does seem to keep the car in 2nd longer in slow speed situations, so that does help. I'm still trying to see if it can "learn" itself out of this problem as there have been a few times after more spirited driving that it hasn't happended. You would think that it could get into 1st smoother as it does in the regular auto mode.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mstams
Mine definitely does this as well. This is one complaint that I was hoping the new PDK update I just had applied would correct. My wife hates it because I love driving in sport mode, and unfortunately there are usually quite a few stops whenever she is in the car. The update does seem to keep the car in 2nd longer in slow speed situations, so that does help. I'm still trying to see if it can "learn" itself out of this problem as there have been a few times after more spirited driving that it hasn't happended. You would think that it could get into 1st smoother as it does in the regular auto mode.
Thank you. I couldn't agree more. The Sport mode best suits the way I want to drive the car on the road. Yet, the abrupt change in to 1st consistently gets poor feedback from me and my passengers. My 15-year old has reached the point of outright laughter at that gear change. In regular mode the shift down to 1st is totally smooth. The only way I have found to mask it is to brake hard to a stop? I am sure that a software fix will appear, but I do wish they would get on with it.

Mark.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Funny, I am a died in the wool manul guy even my A6 is a manual but the more miles I put on these PDK cars the closer I come to buying one. Its really a heck of a lot of fun.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Thank you. I couldn't agree more. The Sport mode best suits the way I want to drive the car on the road. Yet, the abrupt change in to 1st consistently gets poor feedback from me and my passengers. My 15-year old has reached the point of outright laughter at that gear change. In regular mode the shift down to 1st is totally smooth. The only way I have found to mask it is to brake hard to a stop? I am sure that a software fix will appear, but I do wish they would get on with it.

Mark.
In my PDK test drives there is a slight jerk coming into a stop into 1st in Sport Plus mode, but not in Sport mode.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I never manually downshift into 1st w/PDK (or with my manual either). First is for REALLY low-speed stuff and the car has enough torque to putter around in 2nd no problem. I let it shift into first automatically, no matter what mode I'm in.

Another interesting tidbit - it'll "remember" what downshift you want if you try to downshift too many gears at once. Example: You are in 6th or 7th gear and coming to a corner, so you try to down shift say 7-->3. It might not let you get to 3rd immediately, but as soon as engine speeds permit, it'll go to third. I tried it several times and it always "remembered". Pretty cool... In DSG, it disregards and drops only the safe gear (and "forgets").
Old 06-20-2009, 06:02 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
In my PDK test drives there is a slight jerk coming into a stop into 1st in Sport Plus mode, but not in Sport mode.
Mine is very pronounced in Sport mode. Enough to annoy passengers. I haven't yet tried to compare Sport Plus as I just used it for the first time this week.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:03 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I never manually downshift into 1st w/PDK (or with my manual either). First is for REALLY low-speed stuff and the car has enough torque to putter around in 2nd no problem. I let it shift into first automatically, no matter what mode I'm in.
Yes. I do the same when driving in manual mode. What's curious is that manual Sport mode does not do it -- just the auto Sport mode.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

You're saying when you have it on Sport and manual shifting, yours doesn't go into first (like when you come to a stop, etc.)? It should otherwise you'll stall...

Try it out - leave it in manual Sport mode and don't downshift past 3rd gear or so when you come to a light. It'll definitely drop the gears on its own (I observe around 800-1000 rpms).

Last edited by Chris from Cali; 06-21-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Lowered RPMs
Old 06-21-2009, 02:00 PM
jlinmd
Racer

You're saying when you have it on Sport and manual shifting, yours doesn't go into first (like when you come to a stop, etc.)? It should otherwise you'll stall...

Try it out - leave it in manual Sport mode and don't downshift past 3rd gear or so when you come to a light. It'll definitely drop the gears on its own (I observe around 1200-1300 rpms).
+1
Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 PM
mstams
Racer

Try it out - leave it in manual Sport mode and don't downshift past 3rd gear or so when you come to a light. It'll definitely drop the gears on its own (I observe around 800-1000 rpms).
Sorry. I guess I wasn't clear... It DOES automatically downshift into 1st just as yours does. What it DOESN'T do is jerk during the 2-1 downshift as it does when in auto sport mode. Does that make sense?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Ah - yes, I missed the jerk part. LOL

Quick Reply: PDK Tricks