Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C2S review PDK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:22 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do just wanted to see if its "normal". In 02 took delivery of a c4s tip and then 1 day later with 89 miles on the odo the transmission wouldnt go above 2nd gear- Flat bed to dealer car retrunrd to me in 48hrs with new transmission- they fed ex'd th new one to the dealer from germany the day before
Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Do you get over the fact that the buttons are small and backwards?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

crisp - It took me a week to get comfortable with the buttons. This only because I had a Ferrari 430 with paddles which are backwards compared to the Porsche. As to the buttons being too small, I disagree. Since the buttons move with the wheel, they are always right under or over your thumb or finger. Paddles which are stationary need to be much larger since your hands will not always be perfectly positioned to manipulate them.

Now that I am accustomed to the PDK buttons and shift lever, I am perfectly happy with them.

Best,
Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Originally Posted by crispenigl
For me the buttons are intuitive and perfect to use

J.Seven
Old 06-17-2009, 04:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Paddles will be available soon as a factory option.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:22 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

is it at all "unsatisfying" to simply stomp on a pedal and go? I'm certainly not the best stick driver, and I can't heel heel and toe, but for a sports car, I really like banging the gears. that said, I at least owe the thing a test drive...I think I'll be more excited if and when it comes with paddles (like I had in my E46 SMG)
Old 06-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

So the take home message is Porsche should put PDK into the next gen GT3 to create the ultimate track weapon!?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:49 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by jderrico
Sport Plus is awesome. Just picked up our C4S last night - OMG fantastic car
I'm curious, what aspects of Sport Plus do you find awesome?

thanks

Craig
Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Backwards?
Really?
What cars have you previously driven where the tranny controls are NOT backwards.

Not busting your chops, i'd really like to know.
To me, the controls are very intuitive, perhaps not large enough, but certainly workable.

cheers

Craig
Old 06-17-2009, 05:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterm
do PDK owners find that engaging reverse the car seems to take some time for the "clutch" to grab? much different than a tip
yes
both Park to Reverse and Reverse to First are sometimes quite slow, ( 1.5 sec or so).
Old 06-17-2009, 06:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen

thanks

Craig
I use Sport Plus on the track and enjoy the faster up and downshifts and the relaxed PSM. I hardly ever use this mode on the street but if I lived in LA or western N. Carolina and could go for a spirited ride in the mountains I would use it there. Here in Florida the roads are very boring.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with you OG, the C2S with PDK is the 'bomb'! I've only had my car for 10 days and I can't begin to say how much I love this car! I just came from the M6 and it is a huge difference, driving is crisp, light and goes where you want it to go! In comparison to my previous Porsches, Boxster, Boxster S and 997.1 C2, this car blows them all away! I just can't wait to drive it again tomorrow! I've only driven in the sport mode, I do want to follow the break in period, but I assume the sport plus is more for the track. But, i will try it out very soon! I couldn't be happier with my purchase and I am glad I got it now instead of waiting for the 2010. I don't know what they could do to the next generation to make it better than this one!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

The SHift paddles on the PDK were easier to use than on my AMG. My AMG I thought (09 7 speed with throttle blip) was left down and right up. Pretty simple. But on the PDK they are on both sides front up back down. The PDK is easier when turning the wheel than the AMG.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Paddles will be available soon as a factory option.
This is the second time I've hear about this, yet no one has been able to produce any evidence to back it up. Therefor, I would also like to add, since sheer rumor is now hard fact, that a built in turbine jet engine will be soon be a factory option. Look for it soon at a Porsche dealership near you.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
jderrico
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen

thanks

Craig
I traded my 91 964 in for a Cayenne S a couple years ago - both were/are Tips due to spousal preference - so I was expecting another ho hum automatic. All the discussion here got my interest and we drove a C2 and a C4S with the Sport Chrono package. The C2, while much more responsive than Tip, it reminded me too much of a Tip. Albeit much better, but after driving the C4S in Sport and Sport Plus mode I was sold. It is much more responsive, crisper shifting and much better at getting it into the right gear both on upshifts and particularly downshifts. Without Sport Chrono (on the C2) or with it, but Sport not on, it is too quick on the upshift and you're in 6th and 7th far too soon and don't seem to be in the power band. I'm no expert and have only had P-cars as DDs, so your mileage may vary.

Quick Reply: New C2S review PDK!!!