Sponsored by:

New C2S review PDK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Careful with your effusive praise of the PDK. Any minute now the hard core 6 speed guys are going to dismiss it. After all what are they supposed to do with their left foot?

Oh, I remember now, they can continue to put it in their mouth.

Good one, Boo.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Mike I drove it today with a VERY experienced sales guy I have known for 10 years and he showed me ant the upper limit and we were in sports plus!! WOW!!
Glad you experianced the car this way...I still think you should get the 2010 GT3 unles you want more luxery with the Carrera S.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Glad you experianced the car this way...I still think you should get the 2010 GT3 unles you want more luxery with the Carrera S.
I have a feeling that a stripped down base C2S w/ PDK could easily outrun a GT3 in the hands of anyone except the best of drivers. You'd have to make some slight modifications to up HP and suspension, which I bet would still make the C2S cheaper, and you could probably get it down to well bellow the stock GT3 weight (remove A/C, back seats, carpeting, etc - all could be sold to make the C2S an even better value). The transmission may not be as bullet proof, but there is no doubt it would be faster.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree Cam, I dont see anyway that any of the best GT drivers would be faster in the GT3. The C2S is just idiot (me) proof.

Mike I drove the AMG over and its quite luxurious and thats the first thing I noticed about the C2S. I am going to miss that luxury if I were to get another GT3. But I have that in my X5 which will become more of my daily driver after the AMG is gone.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:20 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Mike--you've got a PM
Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Paul:

Glad you finally got to drive a C2S with PDK and no i won't say " I told you so" but I think you now understand what many of us have said. I agree with Mike also, you really need to try it on the track, as it just gets better. So what color are you ordering? Take care Jack
Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice report. I agree that the transmission is a revelation. I had expected it to be very good, but in truth it's incredible. PDK is a major achievement for Porsche. Coupled w/ the 3.8 S engine I think "sleeper" is an appropriate title for an "ordinary" 997 w/ such capabilities.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

This is somewhat of a repeat, so for those that saw it before, sorry. I attended the Porsche Sport Driving School in March and selected to drive the PDK Carrera on the track as I had just taken delivery of my C2S with PDK. As impressed as you might be with even a spirited test drive at you local Porsche dealer you will be much more impressed on the track.

I first drove some laps with it in the auto mode and it was good with very quick and seamless shifts. I then tried it in the manual mode both with the paddles and the shifter and that was even better except several times I got occupied and allowed the rev limiter to come into play thus losing power. I settled on leaving it in the auto mode but selecting gears ( especially downshifts with the paddles ( I would identify this as semi-manual) the good thing being if I got distracted the transmission would up-shift at the correct time over-riding the dummy behind the wheel. I have driven stick for over fifty years and still (less than I want to) track a 911 Sc with a very well adjusted 915 transmission with a WEVO but the bottom line is you can't outshift the PDK and it significantly reduces your workload on the track.

Additionally when combined with the 3.8 DFI engine WOW. You do get some laps at the school in a C2S with PDK and that car just flies.

I'm going back to the Masters course in September and I again have asked for a PDK car. I have not tried the launch control nor did I get it no my C2S
Old 06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Paul, the C4S is my daily driver my RS is still the track toy. If I could have only one, it would be the PDK car providing it has Sport PASM, and Sport Chrono Plus and PSE. With sticky tires, and a proper alignment it would be close to a GT3 on the track. Not quite as fast, but I'd say perhaps a second or two off the pace of a GT3 set up for track. Not shabby at all!

I was at the track with a pal who owns a track, races a cup car and his opinion was that as much as he likes heel and toe, he wants PDK because after trying one on his track, there is no doubt that he will go faster with PDK.

Best,
Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Careful with your effusive praise of the PDK. Any minute now the hard core 6 speed guys are going to dismiss it. After all what are they supposed to do with their left foot?

Oh, I remember now, they can continue to put it in their mouth.
How so? Exactly how does a PDK's performance advantage prove my preference for a manual to be the wrong choice for me? The PDK vs. manual debate has never been about its superior technology or faster shift action. It's a simple case of personal preference. Why do you feel anyone has to apologize for their own preference?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by uzj100
Mike--you've got a PM
Don't see a PM
Old 06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

There is no need to apologise for a personal preference for a manual verus PDK. Some people like antiques, others ultra modern. It's a matter of personal preference.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first order my 997S with manual. Always had manual on my previous Porsche and couldn´t face the fact an auto could be more pleasant to drive than a manual. Anyway my dealer offered me the 997S PDK for a day, I took the chance and went for a long test drive. Well, I must say the PDK is great, intuitive, fast and very pleasant to use. It provides a new driving aproach that I want to try and develop, so I ended up ordering the PDK.

J.Seven
Old 06-17-2009, 02:08 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do PDK owners find that engaging reverse the car seems to take some time for the "clutch" to grab? much different than a tip
Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by peterm
do PDK owners find that engaging reverse the car seems to take some time for the "clutch" to grab? much different than a tip
Yes just give it a second...dont rush it.

Quick Reply: New C2S review PDK!!!