Sponsored by:

Washed and Detailed

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kimf70
My main glasses are 16-35 2.8 II and 70-200 and 2.8 L II. Other lenses are mainly collecting dust. I occasionally use 100 Macro. I've always wanted the 80 mm 1.2. II L. I am not a big fan of flash and the 1.2 appeals to me. I enjoy taking candid shots (facial expressions, kid's parties, etc). 70-200 works well except for its LOUD White bazooka like appearance that frightens/intrigues the kids. I didn't care much for the 24-70. Maybe, my wife will surprise me with the 80 1.2 on Father's day. BH is having a great deal on it these days. I will need to start dropping hints to my wife.

daddyscar
You avatar is fantastic. Great picture.

Allegretto,
Do you have any pics of the basalt black detailed? I would love to see it.
be happy to do that the next time we see sun. i live in the Chicago area and we have been enjoying San Francisco (maybe Seattle) weather this spring. as soon as i get a sunny day i'll wash her (natch) and get some good pics.

i really was bummed by the swirls when i got the car and almost balked. but they were shallow and of course everyone else said they were no big deal i was being too picky, just part of the prep. i was very careful about the polishing step, light pressure, very systematic about the speed and direction of the sweeps with the cyclo. initially just did the hood and when i was done i was nearly beside myself with how stunning it was compared to the rest of the finish. we all do that comparison right after we do a section i think, you know, A vs. B thing with a reflection and it was just a stunning difference. it really was a black metallic mirror. the Klasse just enhanced it and was very easy to use... Zaino easy to apply and even easier to get off. with Zaino i have to "remove" it several times to get to where i want. with this only one real removal and then a very gentle buff with the cyclo and white pads.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
It never really hurts to try a lens. Unlike cars, you don't lose your shirt buying new and reselling in a couple weeks. Absolutely love my 85 1.2 II for what it is. It's as wide as you have room to step back (used it to shoot my avatar). It's a portrait lens and great for getting tight shots indoors. You can get some really cool images at f/1.2. Focus can be slow though.
Totally OT, but anyway... how many times do you shoot with a lens fully open, especially at 1.2? The DOF of a a 50/1.2 is so narrow that few objects will fit in it. F/8 and be there!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Totally OT, but anyway... how many times do you shoot with a lens fully open, especially at 1.2? The DOF of a a 50/1.2 is so narrow that few objects will fit in it. F/8 and be there!
I use it quite a bit. So long as you have enough distance from your subject the dof is just wide enough. I'm not a flash guy but would like to experiment with off camera lighting systems in the future. Would love to shoot at f/8 indoors but camera's aren't there yet. When I got into photography, shallow dof shots was always what I was after. It's more representative of what I actually see and want to capture. Look around, you really are only focusing on one thing at a time. Everyone is a photographer these days so for me, selective focusing is a good way to stand apart. Here's some exaples of what I after . . . http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigsmiles/page2/

A lot of people question the value of the top of the line lenses. For me I wanted to get the best available gear for my needs so I only had myself to blame for bad pics. If I could get a gt3, I'd extend that philosophy to cars : )
Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it quite a bit. So long as you have enough distance from your subject the dof is just wide enough. I'm not a flash guy but would like to experiment with off camera lighting systems in the future. Would love to shoot at f/8 indoors but camera's aren't there yet. When I got into photography, shallow dof shots was always what I was after. It's more representative of what I actually see and want to capture. Look around, you really are only focusing on one thing at a time. Everyone is a photographer these days so for me, selective focusing is a good way to stand apart. Here's some exaples of what I after . . . http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigsmiles/page2/

A lot of people question the value of the top of the line lenses. For me I wanted to get the best available gear for my needs so I only had myself to blame for bad pics. If I could get a gt3, I'd extend that philosophy to cars : )
1) some knockout shots there my Man, good eye!

2) i too am an available light junkie. in fact i bought a whole Leica M8 system for just such occasions. then sold it all because i never used it. my EOS-1 Ds Mkll (another mouthful of designations!) is just so versitile and so darn good that the M was just not necessary. further, the M-series has color balance problems that cannot be rectified with Lightroom or Aperture (or that goony non-intuitive Capture One system they seem to be so fond of). they went to an actual on-lens filter to fix it, but to my eye the colors are still not natural. odd for a German Heritage company to be so shoddy! sort of like Porsche hanging some do-dad off the engine to make it run well

3) i love big glass! but it always seems to me when i get it, i have to look around for situations to use it. i guess i lack the photographic creativity to just "intuit" it.

4) go high end in all things, or just stay on the porch is my motto!

5) you are referring to what is known as the "horopter". that is the phenomena that you are only naturally in focus on a relatively shallow DOF when you are viewing near objects. your eye's focus is much as a camera lens in certain situations, but the horopter is a complex of DOF and binocularity.

again, great shots!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

I understand that for available light shots. But the 50/1.2 is far better corrected at F5.6 to F8. For shallow DOF outside few lenses beat the 70-200/2.8L at F8.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:53 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

allegretto, thank you for the compliments. i really appreciate them.

adias, i didn't get the 50 f/1.2 to shoot at small apertures. there are few situations where i personally shoot at f/8 especially at the 70-200mm range. there's always a sweet spot for a lens. but the key is to find the lens that gives the sweet spot for the situations i shoot them in. for me, it's lenses that i have a lot of confidence shooting with at around f/2.

kimf70, sorry for the high-jack.

Quick Reply: Washed and Detailed