Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of X51

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

I think finding a car with X51 is nothing but upside as the secondary market 'cost' of the option is only going to be a a few thousand bucks, which is is nothing compared to the original cost.
Then again, I do think a 997.1 non-X51 C4S is fast enough out of the box and I loved my car on the track. It is more than fast enough and most of us here will never extract the car's full potential anyhow.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Some truth to that. Most Porsche owners who end up with x51 don't...

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
The seller of an X51 is probably pretty knowledgeable about Porsche ( that's why they have an X51 in first place). Most likely, they will favor a "straight up approach", preferring to see the car go to someone who appreciates it. That might get a discount!

A buyer trying to communicate, credibly, to an X51 owner, that the car has a "negative" option faces a tough task. If it were me, I would suggest to such a buyer that they might be in the "poseur" category, and only wanted a Porsche for the name, not the performance.... and then suggest they go check out the 914; it might fit the purpose.

The value of that (X51) option is another matter entirely.

Again, any used 911 buyer should jump at the chance of an X51, all other things being equal. The seller of such a car has probably moved on to some other "bleeding edge" product. I'd look in the garage to set my strategy and comments. If a Dealer, I'd ask what came after the X51 for the customer, you'll get further knowing the product and the "value".
just end up with it by accident. Its presence might in fact be used to try to command a premium over the car's resale value.

But a buyer doesn't know until he tries. These are tough times and the seller might be motivated enough to budge on price. Depends upon how well the seller has fortified himself with knowledge of the market to counter a buying strategy that seeks to cast the x51 option in a negative light. Seller might have just gotten off the phone with his local dealer and still be reeling from the amount of depreciation he's facing vis a vis what he paid for the car vs. what the dealer told him its trade in value is.

Were I in that market I don't know I'd turn my nose up at a car so equipped, with x51, all other things being equal, but I know myself well enough that I'd certainly try to avoid paying a premium for that option, no matter how badly I wanted it.

And as I mentioned earlier, a buyer can always raise his offer if the seller rejects the buyer's attempt to downplay the presence of x51 option and seek to pay a lower price for the car.

Price is not fact, only an opinion.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
There is an X51 option for the 2010 model. The S X51 produces 408HP.
droooool!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

I'm sorry, trying to play x51 off like its a negative is asinine for a vehicle like this. Its not like its some wild option that puts the engine's life at risk, and its also not like these cars are hugely overpowered in stock form.

If I were selling an X51 car and some guy tried to tell me it was a negative, I'd laugh at him and tell him to go pound sand as you so delightfully put it.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:57 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had both. X51 was by FAR the winner. When I search for used 997's online I only look for X51 cars.

Now, what's it worth? Certainly $2000 grand... but no more than 50 cents on the dollar simply out of principle. After putting thousands of miles on both 3.8 variations, I wouldn't buy a 997.1 without X51.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:14 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems that the answer to your question about what X51 might "add to the value" based on many of the comments here is "not much".

On the other hand, what it might add to the price I would be willing to pay for a used X51 is easily $2k for that option over an equivalent car without X51.

A standard C4S is great, and yet if you would consider trying to add the extra horsepower, better breathing, oil handling, extra radiator and free revving to a base car you would be spending around that much with your wrench.

Buying the Factory package is desirable, and worth a premium, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Value of X51