Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of X51

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009 | 10:47 AM
aaj
Track Day

Default Value of X51

Need your opinions/insights. I'm looking at a 2008 C4S with X51 amongst other options. All else equal how much should the X51 add to the car's value?
Old 06-07-2009 | 11:19 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

All personal opinion here.

I wouldn't pay more than $2K more.
Old 06-07-2009 | 12:19 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default HP

Originally Posted by aaj
Need your opinions/insights. I'm looking at a 2008 C4S with X51 amongst other options. All else equal how much should the X51 add to the car's value?
My 2006 C2S doesn't have the X51 package, but I picked up a bunch of HP with Borla headers and exhaust, plus a sweet sound.
You can hear the sound here: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...ideos&start=20

The Borla headers & exhaust are A LOT cheaper than the X51 package.
Mr. B
Old 06-07-2009 | 01:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default As a buyer why are you doing the seller's job? Ask not how much x51 adds..

Originally Posted by aaj
to the car's value, but how much it subtracts from car's value.

You like the car but that x51 option troubles you. Car already has enough power and x51 is just overkill, adds complexity to the engine, car and subjects engine to more stress.

If seller mentions benefits of x51 at track then you have another reason to discount car, lower your estimate of its value.

If you want x51 more than life itself no need to telgraph this to seller.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-07-2009 | 01:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

I don't believe the X51 subjects the engine to more stress...maybe the driver. Anyway, one of the benefits of X51 is that it's covered under the Porsche warranty while other aftermarket mods may not be. The MSRP is pricey but as others have mentioned not sure how to value the option in a used car. When the dealer is selling he'll try to add value for the option, when the dealer is buying, he'll try to subtract value for the option.
Old 06-07-2009 | 01:26 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default Borla

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I don't believe the X51 subjects the engine to more stress...maybe the driver. Anyway, one of the benefits of X51 is that it's covered under the Porsche warranty while other aftermarket mods may not be. The MSRP is pricey but as others have mentioned not sure how to value the option in a used car. When the dealer is selling he'll try to add value for the option, when the dealer is buying, he'll try to subtract value for the option.
My car has been to the dealership with the Borla headers and exhaust and they said the car is still covered under warranty. The guys at the dealership said they loved the sound.
Mr. B
Old 06-07-2009 | 01:30 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

The X51 is worth seeking out. There are not that many of them and you can feel the difference.
Old 06-07-2009 | 01:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

When you consider that the X51 essentially keeps the Carrera S HP figures the same as the 997.2 DI S figure, it has averted being outdated a bit longer. I have heard that Porsche does not intend to make an X51 package for the DI engine. Personally, I don't care for the sound of the latest engine, and the X51 is a better choice for me. One detractor that I have come to understand is some loss in mileage with the X51 (like that would be a factor for anyone in this market!)
Old 06-07-2009 | 01:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
When you consider that the X51 essentially keeps the Carrera S HP figures the same as the 997.2 DI S figure, it has averted being outdated a bit longer. I have heard that Porsche does not intend to make an X51 package for the DI engine. Personally, I don't care for the sound of the latest engine, and the X51 is a better choice for me. One detractor that I have come to understand is some loss in mileage with the X51 (like that would be a factor for anyone in this market!)
There is an X51 option for the 2010 model. The S X51 produces 408HP.
Old 06-07-2009 | 01:59 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

You want the X51 package, especially used (provided the car meets the normal and required standards).

I have owned two of them and loved them, a step between a 911 and GT3. But, here is the great thing about getting it in the used (not abused) market .....

On "trade-in" Dealers will pay very little, if anything, for the option (there is no value in the blue book for it). You, as a buyer, should expect to pay very little for it too, except as a "premium" for an exceptional car that is hard to find and fits your particular needs.

X51 rules!!!!
Old 06-07-2009 | 02:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
There is an X51 option for the 2010 model. The S X51 produces 408HP.
thanks,--at first they weren't going to introduce one,--and it looks like they finally have.

Are we even aware of anyone with one of those? It's basically in GT3 territory now.

(I think if it came down to all of this I would ultimately retrofit a new GT3 motor in there (all the other bolt patterns match up) and have the much higher redline.)
Old 06-07-2009 | 03:22 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

X51 is a very nice option. I would definitely pay a few grand more for a used X51 as opposed to a regular S (which I have). The top end of the X51 is definitely more eager to rev.....you get an extra 26 HP, better headers and sport exhaust. If I were shopping for a used 997 and found a nice X51, I'd try to make a deal. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-07-2009 | 03:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Sure x51 subjects engine to more stress. It raises engine's output...

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
which certainly stresses the engine more. This does not mean engine with x51 option fragile or delicate.

I mention it only to provide some ammo for you to downplay the x51 option when you look at a used car with it present.

There are two ways to approach a used car with x51 present.

1) You rush up and throw yourself against car and scream with mad desire in your eyes "I've got to have this car!" and then give blank check to seller.

2) Saunter up to the car and look car over very very carefully, taking time to ensure car otherwise desireable -- but keeping your feeling hidden and if you find a paint blemish, or some other minor issue expressing some mildly negative sentiment (a mild frown, shake of the head, even a scribble in a notebook) and if/when x51 option metioned in a mild sort of way by facial and body expression and even a comment let the seller believe you think it a negative.

You arrive at some sense of whether you want the car and then adjust your value make offer.

Seller can either agree to a lower price for the car or tell you to pound sand and attempt to sell car to another buyer, if/when one shows up.

You can always up your offer too.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-07-2009 | 03:38 PM
aaj
Track Day

I took your original post as a comment on purchase strategy not the "actual" value of X51. Thanks for the tips because sometimes one can forget the Tom and Jerry nature of the car purchasing exercise.
Old 06-07-2009 | 03:45 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
The seller of an X51 is probably pretty knowledgeable about Porsche ( that's why they have an X51 in first place). Most likely, they will favor a "straight up approach", preferring to see the car go to someone who appreciates it. That might get a discount!

A buyer trying to communicate, credibly, to an X51 owner, that the car has a "negative" option faces a tough task. If it were me, I would suggest to such a buyer that they might be in the "poseur" category, and only wanted a Porsche for the name, not the performance.... and then suggest they go check out the 914; it might fit the purpose.

The value of that (X51) option is another matter entirely.

Again, any used 911 buyer should jump at the chance of an X51, all other things being equal. The seller of such a car has probably moved on to some other "bleeding edge" product. I'd look in the garage to set my strategy and comments. If a Dealer, I'd ask what came after the X51 for the customer, you'll get further knowing the product and the "value".

Quick Reply: Value of X51