Humming/high pitch sound coming from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Shant
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming/high pitch sound coming from engine bay

Hi,

In the past 10 days or so, I've noticed a slight but definitely noticeable high pitch "whizzing" sound coming from the engine area. The car is a 2007 C4S, tiptronic.

The sound is apparent only while driving at speeds 40+. The sound is independent of the engine noise (ex. I can put the car into neutral driving while driving at 65 mph and the pitch of the noise will not change at all). However, the pitch of the noise will get higher/lower relative to speed of the car. Tires are proper pressure, lots of tread.

I need to educate myself before taking it to the dealer. Any ideas? Belts, intake, fluids, etc.

Thanks.

Shant
Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 AM
cgthanos
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have it too...

I have the same sound, and at first I thought it was related to the deployment of the rear spoiler, but I definitely hear it at low speeds as well. It is a 2008 C2S 6MT.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
ozcav
Instructor

This is the only thing my dealer has ever fixed without me pointing it out. So, unfortunately, I don't know what the fix is. But there is one. My car had seemed to get slightly louder but I had written it off. I took it in for an oil change and they commented that the high speed whine had been corrected too.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Shant
Track Day

Thanks for responses.

Well, the sound is still there. Its most noticeable around 60 mph. It sounds like a high pitched hum, like the revs are too high and gear needs to be upshifted. I dont believe it to be engine noise, as I can pop the car into neutral at 60 mph the hum remains with the exact same pitch.

Ozcav, can you take a peek at your service sheet for any ideas as to what the fix was?

Quick Reply: Humming/high pitch sound coming from engine bay