Sponsored by:

997.2 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 exhaust

Any thoughts on exhaust options for the 997.2 Carrera 2S?
I am deciding between a TUBI and the Fabspeed.
Anyone with secondary muffler bypass without the air intake switch?
Any advice welcomed.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:56 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 119 Posts

Is the tubi finally available? I've yet to hear soundclips or pricing info.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Air intake switch?

I have the Fabspeed secondary muffler by pass. It is very streetable but on the louder side.

If you want stock sound at idle and putting through the neighborhood and very slightly more sound under full throttle the Sharkwerks center muffler crossove/delete works very well.

If you want a little louder, stock like at idle but a good sound under hard accelleration I heard the Tubi system this weekend at the track and it sounded good too. The tubi system deletes the center muffler and uses 2 free flowing side mufflers. This system is really not that loud, extrelemy liveable and streetable.

Fabspeed is suppose to have a dual core muffler out where you can change the core of the muffler out from quiet to loud.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Mdrums.
I am thinking about getting your setup. Fabspeed secondary bypass without the airintake upgrade. i viewed the Fabspeed promo on youtube featuring the white 997.2 2S. I love the exhaust note ,althoug the white 997.2 features the secondary bypass along with the air intake. My only concern is whether the resonance is pronounced in the cabin. I had a BB Triflow on my M3 that caused the passengers to get nauseated due to the resonance hum.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

There is resonance at the crack of throttle while cruising at 2000-2400rpm but nothing that makes me or my wife sick. I am a track rat so I like to hear the engine with my helmet on.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:03 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

From the GT3 forum, a subject which arouses my curiosity

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sb-re-rms.html

Can Porsche now tell the exhaust has been modified (and therefore deny warranty... or make you fight for it)?

I am looking at the PSE versus the alternatives.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
From the GT3 forum, a subject which arouses my curiosity

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sb-re-rms.html

Can Porsche now tell the exhaust has been modified (and therefore deny warranty... or make you fight for it)?

I am looking at the PSE versus the alternatives.
Interesting post although as far as the non-PSE 997.2 goes there wouldn't really be anything different logged or readable on a PIWIS since there's no switch etc... on the standard one. Replacing just the center piece doesn't generate all that much noise to be honest although if you remove the sides and rear etc... the loss in back pressure certainly causes the ECU to run a different ignition map to compensate so they could see that although it could also be attributed to using different grades of gas etc... I think it's safe to say these days one "pays" to "play" and within reason it's ok to expect some level of support from dealerships. Also when "playing" try to minimize the risks so to speak... Porsche is always within their rights to deny a warranty claim even if we've modified a cup holder
Old 06-02-2009, 12:59 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
It may not be a matter of what is switched but more a matter of what is already measured, and therefore expected when scanned (versus what is read). The change to the PSE involves specific VIN info (per Suncoast Parts) and therefore I presume an internally generated change to the "acceptable" parameters.

In this area, I admit I simply don't know what the answer is, but since I am contemplating a change I am hell bent on finding out.. for reasons outlined below, and before the fact.

In reading the tech bulletins for the installation of the PSE (which I have had on previous cars) on 997.2 I got the impression, reading between the lines, that they can now monitor all changes.

As you might imagine, I don't want to get into a "pissing" contest with the Dealer regarding what is covered and what is not covered. Lazy me prefers that they proof why something is not covered so I am looking for the conservative "fail safe" approach... again, before the fact. If it comes to "pissing" contest between the Dealer and PCNA, we know who loses... the Customer.

Risk aversion, sometimes is useful; especially with a new engine and transmission. Who knows what problems lurk?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:50 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
It may not be a matter of what is switched but more a matter of what is already measured, and therefore expected when scanned (versus what is read). The change to the PSE involves specific VIN info (per Suncoast Parts) and therefore I presume an internally generated change to the "acceptable" parameters.

In this area, I admit I simply don't know what the answer is, but since I am contemplating a change I am hell bent on finding out.. for reasons outlined below, and before the fact.

In reading the tech bulletins for the installation of the PSE (which I have had on previous cars) on 997.2 I got the impression, reading between the lines, that they can now monitor all changes.

As you might imagine, I don't want to get into a "pissing" contest with the Dealer regarding what is covered and what is not covered. Lazy me prefers that they proof why something is not covered so I am looking for the conservative "fail safe" approach... again, before the fact. If it comes to "pissing" contest between the Dealer and PCNA, we know who loses... the Customer.

Risk aversion, sometimes is useful; especially with a new engine and transmission. Who knows what problems lurk?
Gotya... I know what you mean and I too need to investigate more. Having seen and gone through a PSE one a car I'm sure they can at least tell how many times you've flipped that switch that's for sure I mean messing around with a PIWIS is one thing but as you say Porsche does like to stay at least a couple of steps ahead on what they can log/monitor etc.... They've always been able to monitor and use 02 sensors and logs prior and post catalyst but that's one of the many reasons I leave those well-alone. The small gains aren't worth it on the NA cars. The newer ones have the integrated header/cat set up that will be even more prone to heat related failures like on the Cayman/GT3....

I'd say the good "old" days are over and you're right we're seeing a few more of these "pissing" contests which nobody really wants to go through either.

My local dealer only a few mins away actually decided to buy/sell/install ours vs the PSE (cost/availability and ease of install me thinks) which came as a bit of a surprise this afternoon. I'll actually have a conversation with their SA and Foreman to see what they know as well. At a dealer level a lot more seem to want to play ball with "safe" mods that is.

+1 on risk aversion. Knock on wood but the .2 seems to be a lot less prone to issues than the .1 is. Then again there haven't been nearly as many sold yet.

Quick Reply: 997.2 exhaust