Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trickle battery maintainer connected directly to battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trickle battery maintainer connected directly to battery?

Where do you run the wires?

I know I saw a comment on this subject on some thread SOMEWHERE in the last nine months, but I cannot find it.

The QUESTION: I have a CTEK trickle charger that has both a cigarette lighter cable and permanent, connected-to-the-battery cables. ONE OF YOU explained how to run the cable out of the battery compartment and, somehow, out of that compartment, out of the front trunk. If you happen to know, I'm obliged.

My dealership is no help.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-30-2009, 11:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Technically you should attach it to the battery's positive terminal (+) and a chassis bolt nearby, often tough to do. I see no major problem by connecting to the battery's negative.

The other convenient way is to get a cigarette adapter plug and connect there. PAG recommends that and they even notched the driver's door bottom weather strip (half circle) to pass the wire through.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:13 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by DPorcella
The QUESTION: I have a CTEK trickle charger that has both a cigarette lighter cable and permanent, connected-to-the-battery cables. ONE OF YOU explained how to run the cable out of the battery compartment and, somehow, out of that compartment, out of the front trunk.
Why not simply plug it into the cigarette lighter? I do that with all of my cars.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Hockeyman11385
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
Technically you should attach it to the battery's positive terminal (+) and a chassis bolt nearby, often tough to do. I see no major problem by connecting to the battery's negative.

The other convenient way is to get a cigarette adapter plug and connect there. PAG recommends that and they even notched the driver's door bottom weather strip (half circle) to pass the wire through.
On the 997.1 there's a lovely chassis bolt right next to the positive terminal that looks like it was placed there just for the purpose of hooking up a battery maintainer.

As for the original problem, why not just leave the hood open? I'm assuming that there must be a reason. From what I remember you can run them out the corner of the hood but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted the Schumacher Battery Tender right next to the battery, and used the supplied leads to connect to the hot terminal and a ground nearby.

To plug it in, I take off the battery compartment cover, run the extension cord in from the windshield side of the hood, and plug it in. This is behind the hood seal, so it will not affect the seal. Then shut the hood.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 PM
gray911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CTEK charger setup

I'm bored so I took some photos of my setup. Hope it helps.

Last edited by gray911; 06-30-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:20 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Wow, thanks guys! I've been out of touch, but this is exactly the sort of info I needed, especially the pics!

Thanks again.
Dave

Quick Reply: trickle battery maintainer connected directly to battery?