Sponsored by:

997.2 Bluetooth question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:10 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Bluetooth question

My '09 C2S was purchased without the bluetooth module. Oddly enough, I am able to pair my iphone 3G with the PCM. I thought the bluetooth capability of the PCM wold not be available unless the module was purchased. However, after the two are paired and the PCM appears on my iPhone after the PIN interaction between the car and the phone, nothing else happens. My guess is that the bluetooth capability is available with the stock PCM and the phone pairing/use is only able with a "bluetooth phone" module. Anyone with any insight?
Now that I am teased with the bluetooth pairing, I am thinking about adding the module. I didn't request for this option when i purchased the car as I assumed that the acoustics in the 911 is just not well suited for speaker phone.
Can the owners of 997 with bluetooth share their experiences? Please advise.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:03 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the bluetooth option. Very useful and it sounds great. I can talk normal voice and hear everything clearly going over 50mph with the Targa top open (but keep the side windows up). The speakers on the steering column seem have good clear reception because most people I have called through this feature are surprised I'm calling from my car (and they definitely don't know I have the top open).

BTW, I have the iPhone 3G and it syncs/updates the contacts automatically each time. Very quick auto scan to find my iPhone. By the time I am backed out of my parking space (<10 seconds) the bluetooth is ready to go. I just leave my iPhone in my pocket or briefcase. It never comes out.

Love it love it love it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jyslou; 05-31-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:07 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Does the Bluetooth option support voice dialing? or does it need the other PCM Voice Control?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:23 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
Does the Bluetooth option support voice dialing? or does it need the other PCM Voice Control?
Nope, no voice dialing with my Bluetooth. That was additional as you described.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

The standard Telephone Module (Option 666) also supports Bluetooth. The telephone module supports 2 modes of bluetooth - SAP and HFP and can be switched between either but only by your dealer hooking the car up to the service computer. SAP is the default mode the car comes with.

The bluetooth options only support HFP.

SAP is Sim Access Profile, HFP is Hands Free Protocol (and in theory is the less functional mode - hence SAP is the default on the telephone module) however in practice SAP has as many drawbacks as it does advantages. HFP is fine and really does everything you would want.

Your problems are down to the iphone not fully supporting SAP in the same way the PCM does. Try asking the dealership to change your car over to HFP, instead of SAP and all should be fine.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:38 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,871 Likes on 1,512 Posts

Kim - I have bluetooth in my 08 997.1 via a mObridge unit. Works fine although people on the other end say it's not quite as clear as my old Merc.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I have encountered issues when connecting the new 3g iPhone with PCM 3.0; in three seperate scenarios I test my personal blackberry and a coworkers 3g; in all 3 our phones connected, the clients did not.

All 3 clients had their phones replaced and now they connect. FYI.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:05 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

I tried to sync the latest Blackberry today. The phone recognizes the car and vice versa. After the PIN number interaction, they are successfully paired. But nothing else happens. I can't call out nor receive calls via bluetooth. The phone does not show up on the list of paired devices on the PCM. frustrating....
Old 05-31-2009, 11:45 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by kimf70
I tried to sync the latest Blackberry today. The phone recognizes the car and vice versa. After the PIN number interaction, they are successfully paired. But nothing else happens. I can't call out nor receive calls via bluetooth. The phone does not show up on the list of paired devices on the PCM. frustrating....
I tried the same thing and got the same result. As you, I didn't order the Bluetooth option, but thought maybe it had been included. For whatever reason, both devices recognize, then nothing happens. I think you're right that you must pay for the option to enable the PCM to take the next step. It is frustrating. I'm going to visit my dealer and see what I can do...
Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Can you keep me updated if you find more information?
I will do the same.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:22 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

No, you dont have to pay for anything - just visit the dealer and ask them to switch the bluetooth mode to HFP and eveything will work fine.... trust me!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Just dropped off the car for switch to HFP. Will keep you posted
Old 06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by kimf70
Just dropped off the car for switch to HFP. Will keep you posted
I'll do the same. Let me know how it works...
Old 06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I know this is stupid, so please - Im not digging on you guys; but with the blackberry's, are you sure the phone is 'visible' longer then the 3 minute time period?

My bb world phone 8830 is flawless. Everysingle on of'em have pair w/o exception. Just gotta make sure the visibility option is selected.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:34 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Yes. PCM recognizes the blackberry (storm) as well as the iphone 3G. Both of the phones also recognize the PCM. They are paired successfully as per message from the iphone, the blackberry and the PCM. What happens after that is puzzling. Both of the phones do not appear on the device list. I am hoping that the reprogramming the PCM to HFA will work as suggested by Adam 2S. Will keep you updated.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Bluetooth question