Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The official report your PDK problems here thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:46 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The official report your PDK problems here thread.

This might prove beneficial to a few. I'll start with Ms. Chairman Meow's posted problem:
Originally Posted by Chairman Meow
I have an '09 CS with PDK that I took delivery on back in October of last year. Things were generally good, but there were always these issues of the car not shifting properly (i.e., stuck in 1st or 2nd then lurches/jumps violently into next highest gear), and other transmission problems. I finally took the car in about a month ago, and the dealer was able to reproduce the issue, and performed a software re-set/update (I think they actually re-installed the software because it had to be FedExed from Atlanta).

About a month has gone by and I am still having issues:

1. I was driving the car the other day in Sport Mode (non-manual so the car should shift automatically) when it was stuck in 1st and just would not shift AT ALL - I had to switch to manual to get it out of 1st.

2. Today, I am driving out of the parking lot, going about 5 mph, go over a speed bump, and the car GOES DEAD (i.e., just turned off) and the whole dash with all the icons lights up. Had to put the car in P to re-start.

Anyone else having any issues with their PDKs? Asked my service rep., and she said "Oh no, haven't heard about any problems at all". Yeah right. I'm finding that hard to believe...

As such, I am interested in knowing if anyone else has had any problems with their PDK.

Meows!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a diehard 6 Speed guy; and I loved the PDK.

If you are looking for anecdotal evidence, review all the write ups about problems with the "manual clutch" in the CGT; and they were all proven to be pure BS.

The same will be true with PDK, it is awesome (though not for everyone).
Old 05-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Hmm maybe we should start another thread about problems with six speed manuals. Start with the fact that when under full load the 2-3 upshift balks on all 996 and most 997 GT3s. Porsche teaches the heart-beat method - a pause between shifts of one heart beat to avoid the problem.

Add to the above the weak synchos on the GT2 and GT3 - fast shifts result in a failed tranny and a very expensive repair bill.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you Ben. This is how the other thread should have started. I hope it stays focused on PDK problems.

From the same thread:

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I can't go into specifics, but just two days ago, we had a PDK car towed in our dealership. It's still here and zee Germans have told our tech to 'not touch it' yet.

I'll keep you informed....

The new PDK was delivered at our dealership yesterday. They'll install it today. Tech was instructed by PAG to not do anything to it; just take out the old one, place in box and install new one.

Sort of odd, but the old PDK didn't even have a stamped serial number in it. It was 'scribed' in. The new one has a machined stamped number in it. - That must be the culprit.
From this thread (1222mi on the new C2S PDK and kaput...(long) ), car would not start (problem turned out not to be related to the PDK but in the process Porsche asked for the transmission serial number) This was also commented by ADias:

Originally Posted by ADias
Tell your dealer that there is a software update for PDK. Yes, he will say there is not, but you know better - tell PCNA to call Stuttgart, they have it. Ask also about the high-pressure fuel pump field mods, since your car is already there - sooner or later the pump will fail without those. Trust me - these are real needed upgrades.

Make sure they tell you exactly what's going on and what was the fix - we, the Porsche community, need to know.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Default **Update**

I personally delivered my clients car to him yesterday after we installed the new PDK. Infact, we filled up the gas tank and I used 1/4 tank just going thru the upshifts and downshifts. Full Auto mode to Manual Mode, ect ect. I put approx 62 miles on it (for a total of 132 on the new transmission) and it performed flawlessly.

I have no specifics to give as to what the failure was. Just that it warranted a new PDK system.

Total process: 2 seperate visits (tow ins) and about 8 days total downtime. Our tech worked until 1120pm installing the new PDK system.

He's one of the most, if not 'the' most dedicated Techs I've ever personally known.

Kudos to
Jim McFarland; Master Tech.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my problem is that when i step with my left foot it goes straight to the floor. is something wrong???

does anyone know if this is covered by warranty?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Our tech worked until 1120pm installing the new PDK system.

He's one of the most, if not 'the' most dedicated Techs I've ever personally known.

Kudos to
Jim McFarland; Master Tech.
+1
Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
my problem is that when i step with my left foot it goes straight to the floor. is something wrong???

No problem, you need part number 997.999.666.1 "Left foot removal tool".
Old 05-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Hmm maybe we should start another thread about problems with six speed manuals. Start with the fact that when under full load the 2-3 upshift balks on all 996 and most 997 GT3s. Porsche teaches the heart-beat method - a pause between shifts of one heart beat to avoid the problem.

Add to the above the weak synchos on the GT2 and GT3 - fast shifts result in a failed tranny and a very expensive repair bill.
i had massive problems with my gt3 997, what a POS, but i am very impressed w PDK cars -- I am much faster in one than GT3, the car is a big leap forward, and mine is just working fine every day.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 PM
normank
Racer

Originally Posted by watt
i had massive problems with my gt3 997, what a POS, but i am very impressed w PDK cars -- I am much faster in one than GT3, the car is a big leap forward, and mine is just working fine every day.
A very big +1.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM
normank
Racer

Originally Posted by allegretto

Yes and No.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 AM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is a old thread but I am looking to get some info. First post on this site as well. My brand new 1862 mile 2010 Cayman that I put all of the miles on myself had a emergency transmission run error message followed by the red explanation mark and check engine light. I babied the car and did not open the car up until 1800 miles and even called up my sales guy to ask if it was okay to have some fun.(okay i am a paranoid person, first porsche). Car has been at the dealer for 5 or so days now and was told saturday morning most likely the PDK is going to be replaced, however they are waiting to hear from porsche if the controller needs to be replaced first. About how long if the PDK is replaced from start to finish should it take to get back my car? also how long does it take for porsche to decide what to fix first.

thanks,

dave-t

Quick Reply: The official report your PDK problems here thread.