997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: The VW-Porsche Merger: Fasten Your Seat Belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009 | 02:21 AM
ds2k1
Racer

I just spoke with Herr Wiedeking...he said he was just trying to impress the chicks.
Old 05-28-2009 | 02:19 PM
fxhomie
Advanced

Any true enthusiast of the marque hopes the company will come out of these discussions better and stronger than ever, because that translates into better Porsches. What's not to like about that?
Old 05-28-2009 | 03:09 PM
V-Vo/t
Advanced

Originally Posted by fxhomie
Any true enthusiast of the marque hopes the company will come out of these discussions better and stronger than ever, because that translates into better Porsches. What's not to like about that?
+1
if by chance the unthinkable happened and Porsche were to fold, I would be gravely disappointed , but on the upside, my 06 Carrera would likely stop depreciating!

Last edited by V-Vo/t; 05-28-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2009 | 03:57 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Wendelin Wiedeking needs to go. His career is finished at Porsche. No matter what Porsche publically may say he is toast as soon as this settles down. There is no way Wiedeking will work under Piech and frankly Piech doesnt want him. He has disdain for him.

Frankly I have to agree with Piech. Wiedeking keeps moving Porsche further and further from what they used to be. Ridiculous prices on ridiculous options on the cars and on top of this engineering problems like IMS which they have had 2 generations of 911/Boxster/Cayman to resolve but HAVENT.

Lets be brutally honest a Cayenne is basically a Toureg with a different name on it. Buyers pay top dollar for the Porsche name. What will have next? Porsche branded under wear.

Piech may be a meglomaniac but has some wild ideas but he brought the VW Audi Group racing. Audi has won Le Mans how many times already. Their Quattro 4 wheel drive technology is great. Both DFI and the DSG transmission have been out for YEARS before Porsche brought them to the table. Audi also rewrote the rules with the TDI racing engines. This is all the work of Piech and his associates.

Remember Porsche dropped out of racing to focus on the Cayenne. Now expanding your brand is never a bad thing. However Wiedeking screwed the pooch big time trying to take over VAG. He did it via options. Now when that critical date in June arrives if he they do not exercise hte options they EXPIRE. That means tha money is gone. From my readings the German government basically had to go on bended kneed to the banks on Porsche's behalf to borrow the money. Porsche recieved a LOAN from VW who they are trying to buy.

The whole thing is a royal mess because it serves them right. Hubris right before the fall. Frankly VW owning Porsche would be a good thing for them. It would provide financial stability and they would have access to VWs technology. We wouldnt have to worry that the Chinese would buy them
Old 05-30-2009 | 10:08 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

pehaps you can tell me, there are two things about your post;

1) in the US, one does not typically "buy" a company with options. in an option one buys the right to purchase stock. buying a company by buying, say June calls means you pay a premium to the strike price which typically is higher than the current price and you are betting that the price will be even higher. it would cheaper to just buy the stock if a takeover was what you had in mind before it reached a distant strike. if you said, well i'll buy more expensive options and then i'm protected, it still makes no sense, just buy the requisite shares. but maybe i'm missing something and you or someone else can help?

2) i have owned two Cayennes and a Touraeg. while they are indeed quite similar in some ways, they are truly not the same car! as a matter of fact, my V10 diesel Touraeg kicked the a$$ off any Cayenne i ever drove!

one more thing; i may be in the minority here but, Wiedeking, Winterkorn, Porsche and Piech... i wish these guys would just have numbers on their backs, i've had to read several articles to finally get to keep them all straight. and we all know they're lying anyway!

Originally Posted by tincanman99
Wendelin Wiedeking needs to go. His career is finished at Porsche. No matter what Porsche publically may say he is toast as soon as this settles down. There is no way Wiedeking will work under Piech and frankly Piech doesnt want him. He has disdain for him.

Frankly I have to agree with Piech. Wiedeking keeps moving Porsche further and further from what they used to be. Ridiculous prices on ridiculous options on the cars and on top of this engineering problems like IMS which they have had 2 generations of 911/Boxster/Cayman to resolve but HAVENT.

Lets be brutally honest a Cayenne is basically a Toureg with a different name on it. Buyers pay top dollar for the Porsche name. What will have next? Porsche branded under wear.

Piech may be a meglomaniac but has some wild ideas but he brought the VW Audi Group racing. Audi has won Le Mans how many times already. Their Quattro 4 wheel drive technology is great. Both DFI and the DSG transmission have been out for YEARS before Porsche brought them to the table. Audi also rewrote the rules with the TDI racing engines. This is all the work of Piech and his associates.

Remember Porsche dropped out of racing to focus on the Cayenne. Now expanding your brand is never a bad thing. However Wiedeking screwed the pooch big time trying to take over VAG. He did it via options. Now when that critical date in June arrives if he they do not exercise hte options they EXPIRE. That means tha money is gone. From my readings the German government basically had to go on bended kneed to the banks on Porsche's behalf to borrow the money. Porsche recieved a LOAN from VW who they are trying to buy.

The whole thing is a royal mess because it serves them right. Hubris right before the fall. Frankly VW owning Porsche would be a good thing for them. It would provide financial stability and they would have access to VWs technology. We wouldnt have to worry that the Chinese would buy them
Old 05-30-2009 | 11:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ds2k1
I just spoke with Herr Wiedeking...he said he was just trying to impress the chicks.
Then he should take a tip from your avatar pic and begin dressing that way!

Quick Reply: OT: The VW-Porsche Merger: Fasten Your Seat Belt