Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA DEs.. insurance/warranty ramifications?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:56 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by beck1305
This is from the EXCLUSIONS section of my Ohio Progressive policy
3. . . to any vehicle resulting from, or sustained during practice or preparation for...any driving activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack or racecourse
That "any driving activity" wording seems to be a deal breaker - I'd definitely call them to be sure.
For less restrictive wording, the rule of thumb seems to be Insurance will pay up (reluctantly) but anticipate that cancellation or clearly wording exclusion letter afterwords.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A cancellation always seems fundamentally wrong and should be illegal if I were master-o-the-universe.
Why one should be canceled for filing a claim for a loss insured against is something I just don't get.
Yes, the insurance company may well realized, "Woops we don't really do a good job of assessing our risk exposure" but that is something they should fix in the way they write their policies, not in whom they insure.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:26 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This question has been asked about 100 times in the past 5 years here, so if you do a search on "DE Insurance" or "Track Insurance" you will probably find many opinions. I've been doing this for many years going from the green to the black run group. In all that time, I've never seen or heard of a car-to-car contact. At the same time, I've seen many car-to-car contacts on the general roadways. In DE, we're all going in the same direction on a one-way track with flagging stations, some with instructors, etc. All with the same thing in mind - learning / developing skills, etc. without hitting anyone or any thing. No cell phones, no radios, no distractions.

Many policies cover DE, or actually do not exclude DE. You cannot count on us to guide you. You have to read your policy, which you receive every time you renew, to see what is excluded. There appear to be two basic types. One that excludes anything and everything and those, like mine, that exclude "Racing or timed events" (meaning things like autocross).
Old 05-24-2009, 11:28 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by amamoy2
Just worked through this. Went with DE insurance. Cost me 2k for a 96 997 C4. Unlimited events within a 12 year period and 2k deductible.

Went through Chris at Everitt Boles.
Let me get this straight--two grand covers you for twelve years and unlimited events? That sounds like a steal, really...
Old 05-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by CMOS
How often do cars get damaged at a PCE DE? I'm going to be doing a 3-day DE at Watkins Glen with the Potomac chapter of the PCA. I'll have an instructor in the car with me at all times, as will everyone else in the Green run group. As long as the instructors can keep people from doing anything really bad that endangers themselves and others on the track, the risk of damage should be kept to a reasonable level.

I'd be more worried about being in a run group with a bunch of people who are going onto the track solo with limited experience.
I saw my first true accident this past week at NHMS.
It happened in the Green run group and resulted in a 997TT destroying its front end, a Boxster S deploying air bags and crunching the front end, and a 914 with front end damage.

That being said, the majority of cars returning to the pits on wreckers are the higher run groups suffering mechanical rather than crash problems.

I personally do not run with track insurance except when I go to PSDS. If I start to take my 150k TT to the track, I might think differently.

Quick Reply: PCA DEs.. insurance/warranty ramifications?