Sponsored by:

PPI on NEW car at dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 AM
DPorcella
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PPI on NEW car at dealership?

Apologies if this question has been exhaustively covered; I did searches and read a LOT about Pre-Purchase Inspection of used cars, but never found a definitive list for a new car, except some random, useful suggestions.

If someone with better search skills than I possess can point me there, many thanks.

I also know that a lot of you guys are multiple owners with a lot of knowledge.

SOOOO . . . before signing the papers on the new delivery next week of my custom-ordered baby, do I need to KNOW or DO any special due diligence stuff?

I know the dealership is supposed to do an inspection; do they provide me with a checklist of that?

And what about the overrev issue? Should I go with the service mgr when he tests the car? Should he test the car? Should he prove that the engine is in perfect order with some documentation?

As you can see, I have many questions and much ignorance. Please help!
-- Dave
Old 05-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Dave, I'd do a road test before you sign papers. Sounds like you may have doubts about the dealership. So a ten minute or so road test - to ensure alignment and balancing issues aren't present. Other then that, the car has been, or will be prepped by one of the techs and road tested.

No worries on over revs ; but again- if you want have them show you the DME report. They'll look at you like you've gone nuts...LOL....which you have... but it's your baby. So do it!

OH! and make sure the can of steam is released as well as the tension on the right side camber plate. Resonance can be a bitch.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:52 AM
DPorcella
Instructor

Thanks Chris! I'll especially ask about the steam thing.

Last edited by DPorcella; 05-16-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:29 AM
wbellinz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd have them go over and show you the paint thickness reading with a paint meter on each panel (you won't be able to do the bumpers as the tool doesn't work on plastic). Just to be sure the car wasn't damaged and repainted at the port, during shipping or on the lot. Who cares if they think you're crazy you're laying out nearly 6 figures and you should protect yourself.

My car read between 3mm and 5mm. I think the key is that all the panels are close to on another. I the panels are on average 4mm and the pass door is 9mm it was likely repainted (another color and clear add to the paints thickness).
Old 05-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Oculus
1st Gear

Request a wheel allignment. It should be a no charge service.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

There are numerous threads on the pick up checklist, search for those too.

Things like

airpressure check (bring a gauge)
do NOT have the dealer detail the car (unless you enjoy swirls)
selected radio stations - they can show you how to program
ipod if you have connector option
etc....

good luck.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-16-2009, 12:41 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Thanks, guys. "pick up" checklist is not a search I thought to make, will do.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:51 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Hmm, some good suggestions above but "pick up" didn't yield much of use.

So, I'm still making my own checklist from any suggestions you guys might offer.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont forget

garage door programming
key programming (they'll do this for sure)
Old 05-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

The dealer does have a checklist for new cars fyi. Its not supposed to be just unwrapped and detailed- ready to go.

PDI= Pre Delivery Inspection on everynew car.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:45 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Boy, at first I thought this was an odd question...afterall it is a new car. I always have picked up my new car without asking questions and the salesperson would just go over the car on how things worked. Then, I found out that a dealer can repair body work and still sell it as new. Wheel alingment is a great suggestion since you don't find out about the problem untill many miles on the road...by that time you'll be forced to pay for a new alingment. You just can't trust anyone to do the right thing anymore.
abe
Old 05-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by abe
Boy, at first I thought this was an odd question...afterall it is a new car. I always have picked up my new car without asking questions and the salesperson would just go over the car on how things worked. Then, I found out that a dealer can repair body work and still sell it as new. Wheel alingment is a great suggestion since you don't find out about the problem untill many miles on the road...by that time you'll be forced to pay for a new alingment. You just can't trust anyone to do the right thing anymore.
abe
OHhh Abe. That's not true. Just gotta do some research is all.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up a new car and did not discover a small amount of curb rash until I got the car home.
It was a MAJOR PIA to get that sorted out.

I would run my finger around the rim/tire interface to make sure that nothing has been scratched on any car I purchased since then.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:05 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris, which part is not true...I am really at a loss here?
-repairing a car thats been hit in the dealership and selling as new...seeing it done
-honesty
-thinking it was an odd question...boy am I out of touch
...what did I miss here... that I am a fool to be trusting in the past and that everyone should do some type of ppi on a new car or that I mentioned that
you just can't trust anymore. It was not always like that you know....or maybe it was and I was too naive when I was younger to know the difference.
abe

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
OHhh Abe. That's not true. Just gotta do some research is all.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Picked up my new Cayman without doing a PPI of my own...

Originally Posted by DPorcella
Apologies if this question has been exhaustively covered; I did searches and read a LOT about Pre-Purchase Inspection of used cars, but never found a definitive list for a new car, except some random, useful suggestions.

If someone with better search skills than I possess can point me there, many thanks.

I also know that a lot of you guys are multiple owners with a lot of knowledge.

SOOOO . . . before signing the papers on the new delivery next week of my custom-ordered baby, do I need to KNOW or DO any special due diligence stuff?

I know the dealership is supposed to do an inspection; do they provide me with a checklist of that?

And what about the overrev issue? Should I go with the service mgr when he tests the car? Should he test the car? Should he prove that the engine is in perfect order with some documentation?

As you can see, I have many questions and much ignorance. Please help!
-- Dave
and found out the radio didn't work and had a service in 3 days message display on dash once in awhile.

Eventually had radio replaced and dealer tech cleared the service in 3 days message. Engine oil change computer had flagged oil change due cause car a left over '08, new with only 76 miles on it.

I changed oil/filter at 750 miles (oil just full of trash -- early oil change best thing you can do for your new car and its new engine), then at 1350 miles then one more time at 2000 miles at end of "break in". (Then next day some dumbass in Volvo ran into my car and totaled it.)

Anyhow, you want to make sure car as you ordered it and has suffered no damage in route. Check all systems work and check vital fluid levels and tire pressures.

Be sure keys match car. Keys at dealerships get moved around a bit and its not impossible for keys to get mixed up. Not fun when you lock yourself out of car and find the other spare key doesn't go with your car.

Be sure wheel security lock fits *all* security bolts and car has proper tool kit and air compressor and bottle of tire goop. Check eyebolt present. If you have breakdown in new car you want to be sure flat bed truck operater can get car on truck without having to winch it up with chains wrapped around front suspension/stteering hardware.

I found my new car's steering wheel alignment off and took car back day or two later and had alignment done. Told service if ok I'd pay for having it checked if not ok alignment done under warranty. Be careful cause this varies but this dealer told me it only offers 90 day 1000 mile "warranty" on alignment.

Alignment was off and it had to be set. After car was a dream.

Tire pressure low and I took care of that.

In all I failed to give car any checkout other than fluids and it "cost" me some trouble getting car back to dealer and getting these things addressed.

Oh, back in '01 bought a new Camaro Z28 and when I got car home decided to check things and on impulse opened up air filter housing and found air filter installed improperly and engine able to pull in unfiltered air. Was able to put it right without having to have car towed back to dealer.

Dealer prep... Hah!

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: PPI on NEW car at dealership?