Sponsored by:

This much oil burning normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:15 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This much oil burning normal?

As I've mentioned, I picked up my new '09 C2 on 5/2. As all who have the new ones know, checking oil isn't as easy as it used to be (because of the dry sump system, I imagine). Now, you have to have the car warm and idling before you can check it, which then takes about 1 minute. Not terrible or anything, but not as convenient as it used to be. In any event, I checked it last night and this morning and got a readout of only 1 bar...the very bottom of what's considered acceptable. For a car with only 750 miles on it, does this seem remotely normal? Do you trust the electronic readout? Obviously, I think I need to add some oil, but I'd hate to add too much to it simply because the electronic readout isn't all that accurate. Since it's probably not a good idea to add oil while the engine's warm and idling, has anyone figured out the best way to get the right oil level on the 997.2's?

Is putting a regular dipstick in the engine bay really such a hard thing to do?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:37 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Since each bar is about 0.4 liters try adding in those small increments until you get to full. I've not experienced useage like yours but others have so I guess you could say it's "normal". With the electronic measurement I would be more confident in its accuracy right after a DIY oil change when I added the correct amount of oil. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

We visit this topic periodically on the 997 list. I have been tracking my oil very closely from day one. With the electronic readout you need to approach it as consistently as possible to get a good feel for what it is telling you. I don't doubt that the electronic method is generally accurate enough for this role.

There is nothing wrong with adding oil to a running 911 engine.

I suspect Porsche has gone to the electronic oil sensor is to make sure that it's as pain free and easy to do as one can make it. Years ago the routine for checking oil on a 911 was to get it to operating temp, pop the engine hatch, open the oil filler cap (right side of engine area) and then pull out the stick, wipe it off, and reinsert for the measurement. Many issues could in those days affect the outcome of the level reporting, e.g., is it warmed up sufficiently, is the car on a level surface, etc.

It's simply Porsche's way of making sure you check the oil often. Let's face it, today's car owners are getting lazy and don't want to have to do any routine checks if they can't find the time. Between the TPMS, and electronic oil level system, you don't have much to do that can get dirt or grease on your Armani suit.

Once you get to know your car you will learn what it's oil consumption trend is. You may elect to put in a half quart at a time, or just wait and dump and entire quart in at once. I now just wait and do the quart. I find that it's roughly one quart between being at the bottom and blinking and being full.

The why question is much more difficult to sort out. Clearly, Porsche would eliminate the problem of excessive oil consumption IF they really knew why it was happening. I think we can eliminate assembly differences. You know that Porsche tracks these cars by the engine assembler,--but that information never gets back to us. If one of their assemblers is sloppy in his work he is corrected and off he goes. If the rings are different from their suppliers we would be seeing batch differences in the engines. Ditto for valve guides. Where else can oil consumption be affected? To me it's a ring issue or a valve guide issue, and no more. The long rumored "you didn't break it in right" story is just urban legend on these modern engines. Most of these engines use literally NO oil during their early life, and continue to use none. It doesn't matter WHO is driving it or breaking it in. I know several Porsche owners who have not changed their driving style at all and yet one car gets great oil mileage and another is poor. What I have heard and tend to believe somewhat is that today's modern engines have very strong, hard steel parts which may take longer than usual to adjust to each other,--perhaps as high as 50,000 miles.

While my oil mileage has been higher than the average, I have watched it slowly, very slowly, gaining in mileage over time. That supports the later break in theory. Why some need no break in at all to get great mileage is beyond me.

Attached is a graphical representation of my oil usage. It's a little bit difficult to maintain a fully objective system of tracing this when the realities of periodic oil changes enter into the picture, possibly skewing the data. (I also measure the oil coming out of the engine at oil changes). The horizontal axis is over time,--showing oil being added, one quart at a time. The vertical or Y axis is the mileage, adjusted to miles. At present I'm just under 36,000 miles on my May 2006 3.8 litre engine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Edgy01; 05-14-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I suspect Porsche has gone to the electronic oil sensor is to make sure that it's as pain free and easy to do as one can make it. Years ago the routine for checking oil on a 911 was to get it to operating temp, pop the engine hatch, open the oil filler cap (right side of engine area) and then pull out the stick, wipe it off, and reinsert for the measurement. Many issues could in those days affect the outcome of the level reporting, e.g., is it warmed up sufficiently, is the car on a level surface, etc.

I think the issues still exist, even more-so with the electronic measurement.
You still need the engine warmed up (so the oil is distributed and at temp consistently). Additionally, the horizontal surface is a must, as an include can affect the reading.

I think thats why Porsche suggests checking the oil when you fill up at the gas station: you get relatively consistent car level-ness, and the engine is warm.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

If I were you I would measure again at least a couple more times and average the result. To add oil, add a little at a time. Perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 of a quart and check after that.

I think that the reason for the electronic oil level monitoring on the boxer engine is due to the complexity of finding a reference level on this integrated dry sump that is easily accessible. I may be wrong of course.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:10 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

My '05 C2 has not used a drop in over 2000 miles. The bar reading in the dash has not moved at all; meaning its been at the full mark since the last oil change.
Is that unusual?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:57 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My 997 used about a quart every 1500 miles at first. Then after 5000 miles it consumes next to nothing.
abe
Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Tremendous feedback, everyone. Thanks a lot. It's a little off-putting because my '06 C2 used virtually no oil at all for the full 48K+ miles I had it. I probably didn't put more than 2 quarts total in it over the 3 years I owned it and it was always at the right level. I just have to get used to this car's particular oil usage trend and adapt accordingly. I'll check it again when I park in my garage tonight (which will assure proper engine warm-up and a pretty level position) and start by putting 1/2 quart in, with the engine running, and see what that does. I'll report back tomorrow with findings.

And, Edgy, that is either genius at work, or very, very scary that you know that much about your car and track its oil usage using charts and graphs. I'm both impressed and frightened. Please head over to the "anality" thread and enlighten the others.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:02 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the Porsches I have owned have consumed oil. My 02 996 would require a quart every 600 miles. The CTT every 1500 miles, and my 997S every 2-3k miles. The new x51 engine in my 996 has gone 3k miles without having to add any oil.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
And, Edgy, that is either genius at work, or very, very scary that you know that much about your car and track its oil usage using charts and graphs. I'm both impressed and frightened. Please head over to the "anality" thread and enlighten the others.
Who do you think started the anality thread?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

ds2k1, I can tell you that Porsche absolutly will NOT do anything until you are burning more than 1 quart every 600 miles.

My 09 burns oil...from new until around 5000 miles it burned oil like a 2 stroke engine...right around 600-750 mile per quart. My dealer looed into this and spoke with Porsche and they claim this is normal and will do absolutly NOTHING about it.

Now I have 6300 miles and 4 track days...hard track days at Sebring and the car is burning 1 quart around every 1500 miles.

Also I'd like to warn you that it is very easy to add too much oil to the 2009. Next time when you check your oil....make sure you are on a perfect, absolutly level surface ( your garage is an example...not a mall parking lot ect). Do your count down check...then...turn the car off for 3-4 minutes and re-check the oil. I bet ou will see the level indicator show more oil on the second check after a few minutes. It is better to have the oil level indicator at mid range to low range than to over fill with oil.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 AM
JHoffman
Intermediate

Wait till your first due oil change to really start to care about oil consumption. According to porsche 1.6qts every 622 miles.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:44 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Great advice, everyone. Thanks. I feel much better.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:45 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Who do you think started the anality thread?
Oh. Right. Noted.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:55 AM
sssinc
Rennlist Member

Default Oil Burning

My 2009 911S at 1600 miles added 1.5 Quarts (indicator was at bottom line).

Quick Reply: This much oil burning normal?