Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's Service Commitment Deteriorating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Porsche's Service Commitment Deteriorating?

It seems to me that Porsche's commitment to service is slipping. As you guys know, I am on my 3rd 911, the second of which presents with engine leakage. Well, wouldn't you know it? Porsche is doing everything they can not to warranty this situation. Their excuse? The vehicle has an aftermarket exhaust. Interesting, how can an exhaust system affect the sealing properties of an engine is beyond my comprehension. A friend of mine with a 997S had catalytic problems, and once again, Porsche refused to warranty the claim for the same purpose. What's going on? Is the attempted buy out of VW that has gone bad now affecting Porsche's long term commitment to customer service? If this continues, I don't see how Porsche will continue to be successful in such a competitive market.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks man... a positive that comes out of it is a lesson to keep our stock exhaust sitting around and install it any time we take the car in to a dealer...
Old 05-14-2009, 04:48 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

"....in a compative market" So, what are you going to do...buy a different brand? They are all giving crappy service today as they are trying to survive. MB sucks...BMW sucks...forget the american cars.
Most have been deteriorating for the last 15 years. You might consider taking them to small claims court...or tell them you are going to spread the news at Rennlist....tell them what happend to Rusnak when they try to mess around with us.
abe
Old 05-14-2009, 06:20 PM
jster
8th Gear

As long as the connection is clearly unrelated to the source of the engine leakage the law is on your side although, unfortunately, you might have to sue to get performance. It may be the case though that it is the dealer that is the holdup. I am seeing in many, many areas that manufacturer pressure on dealers/distributors to reduce returns and warranty claims (thus holding down/reducing cost) is causing people to find reasons initially to deny claims. Only on pushing real hard (or in writing or with an attorney's letter) do they honor the claim. I was once told by a ex-Toyota finance guy that their dealership had a clear "make them sue us" SOP.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:28 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

What is aftermarket? From what i have been told anything aft of the cats is ok. I have the Sharkwerks center muffler by pass pipe on my '09 C2S retaining the side mufflers and cats and my dealer thinks it is great. Also at 5000 miles no leaks in the engine ( could not say this about the GT3). Had a power steering pump leak at 4000 and the dealer replaced it no problem.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 233 Posts

Have a look at this long thread in the 7-GT3 forum describing Porsche's stance on not warrantying an RMS failure because of a Sharkwerks bypass pipe: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...by-dealer.html
Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The least Porsche should do is set out a product warning like a recall and inform customers that as of a certain date aftermarket cats will void xyz in the engine. But it is totally bs if not illegal what they are doing...I want them to prove that the cat is the cause of the problem.
From now on I am using just plain water to clean my windshield....just in case something were to happen to the rear main engine seals!
abe
Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

If you have not already done so, ask to speak with your PCNA district service rep. Good luck.

Jerry
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

The exhaust is a Sharkwerks.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My guess is that PCNA is tightening its policies due to the economy. But I think your dealer's way of handling things can affect the outcome. I have a very long and great relationship with my dealer, and they have always pulled strings for me and got things done in the few cases where it may have been a gray area.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jcnesq
My guess is that PCNA is tightening its policies due to the economy. But I think your dealer's way of handling things can affect the outcome. I have a very long and great relationship with my dealer, and they have always pulled strings for me and got things done in the few cases where it may have been a gray area.
This dealer has always come through for me. I personally know the Tech and he is super frustrated at the attitude of PCNA.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think this is more a dealer issue than anything. The 2 dealers I work with both like and encourage things like DE, performance tweaks and mods, etc. Heck, they install the stuff. So some dealers support simple things like muffler swaps, while others don't and how do you think things will go on a warranty claim in either? Personally, I stay away from things like internal modification and intake. I had 1 bad experience with an oiled filter that fouled the MAF in a previous M3 and that was enough for me.

Ditto the comment to hold onto your OEM for just this reason - if you start to have problems, swap back the OEM. Leave the OEM on for the first 2k miles of break in, let it get nice and dirty, and then swap to the Sharky.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:52 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

The two dealers here in Minneapolis/st. Paul install the Fab Speed after market exhaust systems. I think it would be hard for them to disallow a warranty claim on a RMS or other non exhaust related problem.
Next time I go in I will ask them.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

My guess is that Porsche ( as well as many other companies) are under extreme pressure to improve financial performance. Sales are down so the only way to improve profit is to reduce expenditures. I have read many times that Porsche has been generous or accomodating in dealing with customers but perhaps they are under pressure to be more restrictive?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by russo
This dealer has always come through for me. I personally know the Tech and he is super frustrated at the attitude of PCNA.
To throw my .02 cents in, we had a situation where PAG told our Master Tech of 19 years to "Check the fluids" in response to a PDK issue in question about 5 months ago.
Turned out to be a 'low voltage' issue.

He was and still is pissed they said that to him. PAG better pull their heads out of their asses.

Quick Reply: Porsche's Service Commitment Deteriorating?